Pics/review of my Kramer Custom - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Pics/review of my Kramer Custom

My initial impression......worth $199 and a bit more.

First, it's made in Indonesia. I was really expecting it to be Chinese (despite MusicYo listing it as a US series.....hmmmm).

Anyway......the guitar is much darker than it appears in the photos on the site. Plugged it in and it sounds pretty good with the stock pickups. I have an Epi Les Paul Standard and an Ibanez ARC300 w/ a Duncan JB/59 combo. The bridge pickup is fairly close to the the JB. Not quite as bright and not quite as hot. The bridge pickup is pretty close to the '59 but a little more low end. Overall, I would say they fall in between the Epi and the Ibanez leaning a little more towards the Ibanez.

The feel of the neck is really nice. I may get out the digital calipers and do a comparison to the Epi but they feel pretty close. The Kramer neck feels a little bit faster. I think there is something about the finish that just makes it feel a little more slick than the Epi, as they are both painted necks.

The pots are a little bit on the stiff side. Hopefully they will losen up a bit with use as it takes a bit of effort to turn them and given the small size of the knobs, don't expect to do quick turns on them.

Fit and finish is OK. About the same as my Epi but not as nice as my Ibanez. First, there are som small gaps where various pieces of binding meet up (the creme, not the abalone). Specifically at the headstock/neck joints and at the neck/cutout area. The cutout are is especially nasty...in fact, I think this area approaches second/b-stock quality. There is some wierd stuff going on with either the binding/glue/paint or something.

The other issue is that the binding is white, but when you throw a thick coat of clear over it, white items tend to look yellowish....fine, that happens all of the time. But when they polished out the body, it removes some of the clearcoat on the binding making some areas more white. This is really bad at the cutout. Also, prior to polishing, the removed the plastic coat that typically goes on the plastic electronics covers. So, when they polished out the body, they actually polished the plastic to some degree....but not very well, so some parts are polished, some aren't. Also, all the screws are black, but the polishing removed some of the painted finish of the screws, so there is chipping on the screws. These issues are mostly on the back of the guitar.

There were also a couple of spots where something got on the binding and wasn't removed before the clearcoat, so there is some junk trapped under the clear.

Ultimately, it looks fantastic from 6 ft or so and let's face it, most of us would notice those things before the average person. It's still worth what I paid for it.

If you're in the market for an LP style guitar, at $199, this is a really good deal. It's still less than you'll find a used Epiphone for yet looks like you spent a lot more money.

OK. Here's some comparison measurements.

Epiphone
Body at rear strap - 2"
Width at nut - 1.68"
Width at 12th fret - 2"

Body at rear strap - 1.89"
Width at nut - 1.68"
Width at 12th fret - 1.99"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 08:15 PM

Re: Pics/review of my Kramer Custom

I have been waiting for yours to arrive. How well is the neck finished in terms of fret ends and fret size?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 08:25 PM

still looks very nice for 200 bucks!
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Frets are really nice. Nicely polished, string bends are smooth, ends are well done. No fret work that I can see. The thing I don't know of is that I think the action can be lowered a small amount, so that may reveal some leveling issues. We'll have to see.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 09:55 PM

Nice guitar for the money. You've sold me. I just may pick one up, beginning of next year, with part of my return check. Until then, I have at least 2 guitar projects slated, so this one will have to wait.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 09:55 PM

That's a lotta abalone!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 11:18 PM

That looks pretty badazz for that kind of money.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 11:56 PM

Nice looking guitar, I like the binding and quilt top. My Schecter C-1 Elite has the same style binding, even on the neck, exactly.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerx2k View Post
Nice guitar for the money. You've sold me. I just may pick one up, beginning of next year, with part of my return check. Until then, I have at least 2 guitar projects slated, so this one will have to wait.
Thay are on sale now. Usually run in the mid 300s....
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 12:10 AM

Well I am going to pay for my two new strats and then order one for the hell of it. I only show black and amber being the available colors, and I see green on yours. Is that what they call black?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 02:43 AM

Lovely! I love the binding too
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 05:06 AM

Very nice guitar!
You can't really beat it for the cash can you?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Well I am going to pay for my two new strats and then order one for the hell of it. I only show black and amber being the available colors, and I see green on yours. Is that what they call black?
No, it's black. It's just that the flash makes it look that way. It looks much more black in natural light.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 09:46 AM

nice axe
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
Thay are on sale now. Usually run in the mid 300s....
Well, then I'll pay the mid 300s, then. Wish I could do it, now.

Tags
beautiful guitar , bridge pickup , epi les paul , fret size , les paul , les paul standard , mahogony body , neck finish , neck joint , neck joints , strap button , toggle switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode