pimp my squire - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

pimp my squire

i want to pimp out my squire tele. Was thinking of new machine heads: stock fender jobbies. New pick ups the fender no caster set (more expensive than the entire guitar second hand) and a vintage style ash tray bridge. the electronics will probably get replaced as ppl sell kits for this on ebay.

any thoughts you may have greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 11:23 AM

Re: pimp my squire

Will it make that a much better guitar? Yes. Without question.

Will it make that guitar as good as the guitar you could afford by selling it, and buying a complete guitar of higher spec with that money+the upgrade money? Probably not.

Your upgrade options at the low end will generally much improve any instrument, but ultimately, you're an end user with no economy of scale. You're not buying bridges, tuners, or electronics in bulk, and you're two steps further down the chain of distribution, which means two steps of markup on the price.

A manufacturer can afford to bypass all of that, and for that reason, upgrading low end guitars is generally just nowhere near as good in the long run, as buying a better guitar in the first place.

As for what you're upgrading to and why... have you considered what you want to achieve with these upgrades? Its very easy, if you don't have experience, to think of upgrades as "Better" rather than "different".

Ultimately, that Nocaster pickup set will sound markedly different to what you have already. You may OR MAY NOT like the change.

For example, vintage voiced pickups tend to be bright, chimey, but not have much output. They're not, in most peoples eyes, super great for getting a metal tone. Even a cheapy high output set, might do much better in that regard, because they'll have at least been designed for that.

Can you give us more info about this? Ideally I'd like to know:

1 - What about this guitar do you really like?
2 - What about this guitar do you really HATE?
3 - What kind of music do you play?
4 - How long have you been playing?
5 - Who are your favorite players and what do they tend to use?

If we can get that written down, I'll have a much better idea of what kind of upgrades will really get you closer to what you're looking for.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 12:04 PM

Reviews: 18

Put a Graphtech Ghost System in it.

Jimmy
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

1 - What about this guitar do you really like? not a lot the neck feels just like my US strat.
2 - What about this guitar do you really HATE? doesnot sound as good as my exolorer
3 - What kind of music do you play? metal mostly but I want a range of guitars to play a wider range if stuff.
4 - How long have you been playing? err 20 years maybe.
5 - Who are your favorite players and what do
they tend to use? I love tom morelo he has a stock Mexican strat for drop d.

tbh I've got quite a few guitars u just fancied this Tele. it goes out of tune a lot and on my pod sounds a bit muddy with a lack of definition to the picking. the pod though masks a rubbish guitar unlike my mesa rack. I do feel quite precious about a lot of ny guitars. my rg 470 fmr it totaly unmarked and I've got no idea how old that is now. the squire is a down stairs on the pod away from my music room guitar. if I chip it meh I'm probably going to swap it all out for warmoth parts eventually. till then let's upgrade.

guitar buzzar you did make me evaluate ny project cheers for that.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 12:48 PM

Yeah, don't bother. As far as I can see its just wasted money, better spent on something overall more worthwhile, hell, even an upgrade to the POD or some high end amp sim software like Guitar Rig.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 01:27 PM

Reviews: 130

I've done this to a lot of Squier guitars and do it more for the fun of it than anything else. Currently my best piece has all new CTS pots and Dimarzio pickups, and Sperzel locking tuners. Sounds and plays great. Would I ever get out of it what I put into it? No, but I never had that expectation going in. It's a project, not a money - making venture.

Have fun!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 01:33 PM

I would upgrade it.

I have a Squier strat, that I got as that "something different" guitar. It has a nice neck on it and the vintage radius is good for chord work, etc. I eventually upgraded the tuners and trem for Wilkinsons, I put a set of Ironstone pickups in and now it's a great guitar.

But the thing you'll gain most from this is the experience of swapping and changing all these bits out. You'll gain a much better understanding on how the guitars are put together. It's worth doing for this alone. A set of Wilko tuners would cost about £20, Wilko bridge £25 and the pickups, you could get a decent Irongear Tele set for about £50, maybe not even that.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 05:01 AM

I'm in the same boat to a degree. I have a Squire strat that I want to soup up. True, I could by a new guitar for the price of the souping, but it was my first guitar, so I want to make it something that I actually want to play. Plus the body is a really nice forest green color. I'm planning on buying most of, if not all of my parts from Carvin. Its really cheap, plus I have nothing but good things to say about Carvin products. I don't know if your planning on replacing the neck, but I am, and the Carvin necks are unbeatable IMO; especially since you can customize the neck to your specs.

Also, I did the math and it may be cheaper to buy the do-it-yourself kit from Carvin and use the parts to replace the Squire's parts. In my case it was about $20 more to buy the kit than all of the individual parts that I wanted, but the kit came with a nice body blank, so it was like getting a body blank for $20! (normally $155).

Btw, the kit is on sale right now for the summer.

Tags
pimp , squire , tele

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode