Ibanez JEM Forum banner

places to buy second hand Fender and Gibson

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  khaas 
#1 ·
I am looking for places where I could find a Fender Strat and tele made in late 80's (1988-1989) and a Gibson Les Paul made in the 90's.

I was told the Fender Strats made in the late 80's were really good also the Gibson made in the 90's were good too.

The problem is I didn't find a good place to buy them. Considering the number of fakes these days I need a safe place to buy.

Or else I'll buy a MusicMan Silhouette and an Axis.

#9 · (Edited)
There are many models from the late 70's, looking for early 70's. The late 80's aren't there yet nor pre CBS strats.

And there's that 1990 Custom Shop Les Paul that looks good to me. Still thinking.

Fender strats are so weird and inconsistent, maybe I should ask someone in the US who's experienced with strats to try them.

I'll keep an eye on that site.

IN October I'll have to make the final decision because I can't live without a guitar for too long.

#12 ·
I'd never use the word "inconsistent" for Fender USA guitars. Especially before the late 90's. They are all high quality guitars. Same goes for Gibson USA.

And that's coming from someone who hates Fender and most Gibson's.
I heard that about Gibson Les Pauls.

Thank you very much!

Anyway I can't believe a forum dedicated to Ibanez guitars is so nice to help me get a nice Fender and Gibson. I really appreciate that a lot.

#13 ·
hi,

why don't you try japanese web for those MIJ early 80s through 90s. lots of them ship worldwide, just do a search. btw, its a bit cheaper cos for international customers the tax are removed but then again delivery, exchange rates etc. :) check out the reputable shops in big cities.

try this site, my local dealer selling used and most of them MIJ, middleman to cut the hassle of ordering myself: http://usedguitar.blogspot.com/

#14 · (Edited)
www.spacetonemusic.com

Its in the San Antonio Texas area. Cool shop that deals with alot of used guitars. They usually have a ton of older Fender/Gibsons usually from that timeframe. I see you are in Romania. Not sure if they would ship overseas and if they did probably going to cost you a lot. :( Still, thought I'd throw the link your way. Thier website only reflects a fraction of what they actually have available though. You would have to call or physically go in there to see all of it.

Suffian brought up a very good point to keep an eye out for the MIJ Fender stuff.

Alot of the mid to late 80s,90s,current era Fenders are made in Japan. Many in the exact same factory many of our beloved Ibanez guitars were also born in. A Fujigen made Fender usually parallels or even surpasses the quality of the US equivalent. Alot of folks will knock on them because its not stamped "USA" on the headstock. Thier loss honestly.

Hell in the mid 80s there was a brief period where there only were MIJ Fenders available. Even the earliest Squiers from that same period were made in Japan and are quality. Then they cheaped out and moved production to cheaper labor workforces elsewhere and Squier quality suffered.

I honestly know squat about Gibson stuff so I'll let others chime in but definately consider any MIJ Fender you come across. Sometimes also known as CIJ (crafted in Japan) too. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.