Planning to buy an RG1570, need advice - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Planning to buy an RG1570, need advice

Hi guys,

Since my "good" old RG270 is falling apart (warped neck, tremolo rattles), I decided to get myself a new guitar. I had enough of Korean crap, now it's time to get a real Ibanez. But there is a problem - I understand that guitars are not made equal, and even in a hi-end line like Prestige there can be an occasional dud.
Where should I look for signs of bad workmanship?
My biggest fear is the neck. I saw that they are not using the reinforcement stripe anymore. Does this mean that Prestige necks are more prone to warping?
And another thing - is there supposed to be a thin "wall" between the neck pickup route(sp?) and the neck pocket?

Cheers,
The voyager
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 09:25 AM

Unless you're dead set on buying a new guitar, I'd suggest buying a used RG5XX or RG7XX series guitar. With Edge tremolos and Wizard necks, they are a million times better than your old guitar, and a better bargin than any new guitar on the market in my opinion. --Jason
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkahrs
Unless you're dead set on buying a new guitar, I'd suggest buying a used RG5XX or RG7XX series guitar.
I'd do that if it were possible. Ibanez guitars are a rare sight here, and I never saw a used one for sale. In fact, this particular RG is the third Japanese Ibanez that I ever saw in person (first was a JEM, but I didnít know who Steve Vai was at that time, then some fancy RG*50, now this one).
EvilBay? Yeah, good choice if you live in USA, but not for me. All the good deals donít ship outside the States. And for bad deals Ė the shipping price would surely rectify the differences. Heck, if I could buy stuff on eBay, I'd have a Radius now .
So yes, you can say I'm dead set on buying a new guitar.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 09:51 AM

WEF 2003 the Korean units are much better conceived & i wouldn't mind buying one as they surpass the TRS-trem predecessors which everyone should avoid IMO...

sight the neck before you buy the 1570- look both ways: from the nut down to the bridge + the bridge up the nut. make sure they are pretty straight. the rear 'skunk' stripe's absence should be the least of your worries as the Prestige necks are strong. in fact, the wood grain for the pieces glued together all run parallel to reinforce the neck's strength.

try one before you part with cash, make sure the electronics don't hiss when you turn the vol/ tone knobs. if there are any maple fretboard 1550 at your dealer's, do give it a go just to feel the diff. i own the 1550 & it's one of my best Ibanez ever...
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks man. Really appreciated.
In fact, I took it for a test drive the other day. Do all Ibanez guitars come without any setup from the factory? Because this one was just like that Ė action very high and intonation not set. Unfortunately, this guitar is defective. I looked at the neck and it has signs of the problem that my current guitar has Ė one side (low E) is almost straight, while the other has noticeable bow. If I understand correctly, both sides must have equal bow.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 07:45 PM

question your dealer- how does he store the guitar? temperature related factors might have caused the neck to warp... a very slight bow on the bass-side is acceptable but all preference goes to a straight neck.

my 1550 set up was ok off the shelf. did your dealer re-string the guitar & then failed to set it up as it was?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 10:40 PM

Voyager - We ship worldwide on a regular basis. I'd be happy to assist with your purchase if you decide to go with a new Ibanez. Get in touch with me if you'd like information regarding pricing, shipping and availability!

Matt

Matt's Music Center
35 Pleasant St
Weymouth MA 02190 USA
781-335-0700
www.mattsmusic.com
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

I have decided - I will not buy a guitar, or any piece of music gear in my own country(unless it comes in a factory sealed, unopened box) . The guy that does setups in that shop said, that Floyd Rose is "a very stupid system" . So much for the setup.
Thanks for mentioning new Korean models, germX. I tried an RG370DX. Really nicely built. Almost comparable to a Prestige, besides the fretwork and fretboard wood was not exactly rosewood, but some other dyed wood . The biggest difference was the tremolo - very stiff, slightly stiffer than on my old guitar.

Matt, I'm considering your offer. I'll PM you with details shortly.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 10:12 PM

hey, good to know that you've expanded your options.

it's good to quiz your dealer to know the depth of their product knowledge. these are the very people you return to if you have issues with your instruments, if they they aren't trust-worthy, why bother at all... hope you get a good deal from matt IMO the Prestige models are the ones to start with. good luck, tell us what you buy.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 08:31 PM

the 1570 is a nice guitar, with a verry slick sexy playable neck and the potetial to sound great with upgraded pickups or a lush amp.
If you buy one and decide to change I'd recomend ceramic Humbuckers to best accenuate the wood type.

Also, the 1550 is a nice guitar, which while comparable to the 1570, has a different flavour. The maple Fingerboard gives a slighty different sound the the lack of body under it's scratch plate diferentiates it wood sound as well. Again, the pickups are an area of attention if you decide to purchase.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 11:29 AM

I'm ready to be quizzed... bring it on!

Matt

Matt's Music Center
35 Pleasant St
Weymouth MA 02190 USA
781-335-0700
www.mattsmusic.com
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

A little status update, if you will. I wonít be buying a guitar from Matt. As I have guessed, the shipping price puts such a purchase out of my budget.
I have expanded my options even further, and a couple of more candidates joined the list: SAS32FM-TL and SZ520QM. I donít think I really need a floating tremolo. Are those two decent guitars?
Oh yeah, almost forgot Ė now thatís one sweet guitar(RG1550FM) . Too bad I can't afford it(probably).
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 01:51 PM

Voyager - I might be able to ship it through the USPS, which would save you a bit of $$$. What country did you say you're in?

Matt

Matt's Music Center
35 Pleasant St
Weymouth MA 02190 USA
781-335-0700
www.mattsmusic.com
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 01:54 PM
Vendor

Anything behind the old Iron Curtain is prohibitively expensive. The only postal option [size limits] is GXG [delivery by FedEx] at $375.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 02:18 PM

Yeah, shipping can be expensive. I have alot of international customers though, even after frieght and taxes it's still cheper to buy from the USA and have the item shipped, then it is to buy locally.

Tags
edge trem , floating tremolo , floyd rose , fretboard wood , ibanez guitars , maple fingerboard , maple fret , maple fretboard , neck pickup , prestige necks , scratch plate , steve vai , straight neck , warped neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode