Playability comparisons - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Playability comparisons

I'm debating whether to buy an old 77FP. I've owned an RG550 for 10 years and was wondering about the difference. I've never had the opportunity to play one. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 04:59 AM

Your best bet would be to go and play the FP and see if you like it compared with your RG.

Best wishes

Simon
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 09:25 AM

Physically there isn't all that much difference between the RG550 and the FP. The FPs had the lion claw but then the RG550s have decent enough routing to accomodate the trem. The neck shape will be slightly different and the pickups on the RG550 (unless you've changed them or they've been changed) will probably sound a little different; the FPs came equipped with Dimarzio PAFs. The trem is different I believe as well, but both are fine and some folks prefer one over the other and they're very much viewed as equal (a rarity for anything) within the community.

I'm going through the same thing. I bough an RG550 about a year ago used and immediately it became my number 1 until i started playing 7's, and then I got a Universe. I'm playing the RG now and again and have liquidated alot of my other guitars so replacing the RG with a guitar I've always wanted (a Jem) has come to mind. However every Jem I pick up and play has been less than a positive experience. I typically find the new ones are set up terribly. Used ones are occasionally even worse and have usually hadd the snot beat out of them. For the money I'm just not that impressed with what I've laid hands on. I got a great deal on the RG550 ($250....it was a guitar that was bought in pieces by the shop, re-assembled with new repalcing the missing parts and mis-marked when put back on the rack) and am of the conclusion that for under $400 total I could have a guitar with just about the same specs as the Jem aside from minor things like neck shape, trem style, etc.

Sure, it's not as prestigious as a signature axe....but it's a great player and that's what I really need. I use my UV as my main and a 6 is just kind of a fun little diversion to me.

...hope youre having better luck finding them setup than I have.

Tags
dimarzio paf , neck shape

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode