Played the MTM2 last week - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 120
Played the MTM2 last week

Well I went in to my local store last week and while browsing noticed that a number of the new 2007 models were appearing on the shelfs. A few new S series (320, that blue flame quilt) and RGs (no new Japanese ones yet).

I saw the new MTM2 sitting there and I thought I'd give it a bit of a bash. Wasn't quite in tune and the nut pads were still unlocked so gave it a quick tune (to the drop B it comes in). Played it acoustically and it sounded alright. The Fixed Edge III was quite comfortable, and the painted neck wasn't too bad. I don't mind the Wizard II neck profile.

One noticable issue was the condition of the fretboard. Talk about a major way of ruining the guitar potentially. The fretboard looked as dry as anything, and on closer inspection it looked as though the frets had been glued in and there was residue along the fretboard next to the frets! These two things combined made the guitar look really nasty. And at around $1100 AUD list price you would expect better.

I guess you could clean up this stuff quite easily, and I'm sure the store I was in would do it no problem if you were to buy it, but it was a bit off-putting, especially when the guitar actually played ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 06:10 PM

Re: Played the MTM2 last week

I've come to the conclusion that most new Ibanezes are horribly overpriced...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
I've come to the conclusion that most new Ibanezes are horribly overpriced...
I dont mind if they are priced the way they are now, but the quality of workmanship must not be compromised. Good workmanship justifies the price.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueShredder View Post
I dont mind if they are priced the way they are now, but the quality of workmanship must not be compromised. Good workmanship justifies the price.
That's what I mean. They are overpriced considering the workmanship. Those descriptions are of what you might expect to find on a $600 Korean guitar.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 120

Exactly, especially on a signature model. It was disapointing considering the rest of the guitar looked quite good.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 10:08 PM
Dee

Somehow I'm not surprised. I have noticed a lot of dry looking rosewood recently. Nothing that a dose of Fret Doctor won't sort out, but it shouldn't need it from new, that's just wrong.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 10:17 PM

Have you played a MTM1? Did the neck "play" similar? thanks =)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 03:26 AM

having to do with brand-new guitars everyday, every brand, either expensive boutiques and cheapos, i can say that it's pretty standard for the fretboard to look that dry. i'm not saying it's right or good, but that's what i see, and usually expect. a good shop would give brand-new guitars a dab of oil and at least a tune. i do that for a friend of mine's guitar shop.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 11:46 AM

has anyone tried the new Ibanez RG550MXX yet?

Tags
guitar shop , korean guitar , nut pads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode