Played a Six string EBMM JP for the first time - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Played a Six string EBMM JP for the first time

Hey...

Just my commentary on the EBMM JP six string. It was stripped down, no options at all, no piezo, no inlays, boring green color.

TOp notch workmanship and finish detail on this guitar. It was quite heavy which was a surprise. The body was very comfortable. THe neck wood is simply stunning. Birdseye maple with a prominent figure throughout. Big thick slab of rosewood for a fretboard, I have yet to see a thicker piece anywhere. Frets were perfectly dressed.

I hated the neck....waaaayyyyyy too narrow for me. It felt like I was playing a mandolin or a banjo. Finger picking would be a challenge on this guitar. JP must have small hands is all I'm thinking, especially if he can pull off those wacked out chords with string spacing like this guitar. I hated the neck so much I just noodled on it for a minute and put it back. My disclaimer is that I don't own a six string guitar, just sevens...but I did spend about 30 minutes getting reacclimated on a 3120, which I loved incidentally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 01:19 PM

Just curious about the green - can you elaborate more on it? Ernie Ball doesn't offer a regular green according to their color chart. Just a sparkle green and the Mystic Dream flip paint is green/purple. This just sounds like a color I haven't seen yet so I was wondering what it looked like.

Thanks,
Paul
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 01:40 PM

I really liked the new JPM, it plays great, and I love the neck.

I really want to try out the 7 string, but haven't had the opportunity because no one near me has it.

The only thing that took me time to get used to was the pickup selector layout.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Paul, It must have been the mystic dream color then. It wasn't the sparkle and the lighting was pretty poor so I didn't pay much attention to see if it changed colors or not. Sorry about that.

I would suspect the seven string to be more my cup of tea. The overall shape of the neck was pretty good, just too narrow for me. It sounded fantastic from what I could hear over the din in the store. Nice and thick. In reading my original post, I didn't mean to come off like I was bashing the guitar. Despite what I dislike, it played very smoothly and as I said the workmanship was top notch
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 03:27 PM

The string space is a little tighter then normal, but I find on my 7 it's perfect.

It's definately my main guitar right now. My RG7CT has to play second fiddle for the time being.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 08:35 PM

Re: Played a Six string EBMM JP for the first time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh
but I did spend about 30 minutes getting reacclimated on a 3120, which I loved incidentally.
Don't tell anybody, but the 3120's the best guitar that Ibanez is making these days!!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 12:51 AM

Re: Played a Six string EBMM JP for the first time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduersch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh
but I did spend about 30 minutes getting reacclimated on a 3120, which I loved incidentally.
Don't tell anybody, but the 3120's the best guitar that Ibanez is making these days!!
Agreed

I tried the JP EB/MM. It plays great but I still think it looks kinda.....well.....blah!!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

I kind of like the understated appearance of the guitar. I wish they had a seven I could noodle on...If Jeffrey likes it better than a CT it must be pretty slick. Jeffrey, is yours loaded with the piezo too? If so, are you splitting the signal and what are you using on the acoustic side?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 10:17 AM

I got all the options pretty much. I don't think they offer anything else.

For the piezo output I'm just using a little Randall combo I have as a practice amp. I haven't really put it together yet (the piezo rig) so I'm not really sure what I'll end up with.

I'm thinking a single rackspace power amp with an effects unit as a preamp into a stereo 2x12.

Still not sure though, I need to mess with it some.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 10:28 AM

I recently traded my EB/MM JPM for my J Custom RG-GEAR. But...I missed it so much that I'm getting another one this week! Mine was a loaded 6-string in Mystic Dream, and the new one will be a Pearl Redburst with all options. I LOVE the neck, and the piezo sound is fantastic! Probably the most versatile stage-guitar I've had.

Jeffrey- I've tried splitting the piezos to my Matchless, and had the DiMarzios going to my Boogie. But, I'm getting a slight electrical hum/buzz. Do you do anything special when splitting the signals?
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like you have a ground loop going which is common when running a bi amped rig. A ground lift switch should solve your problem provided one of your amps has one. If your mesa doesn't have one then I would call their customer service and get a tech to help you out. I am not an electrical wiz (barely made it through EE in college).

For my 2027 I am itching to try out the Yamaha AG Stomp and see what that does to the signal. I have only read reviews on it and most are pretty positive and state that it gives a piezo signal some "air" in the tone. I will try to go through it this weekend personally. I would be running it direct to PC and direct to PA in conjunction with my POD Pro rig.
The only downer is that they seem pretty expensive for what you get. $400 bones is a lot for a modeling box. I would much rather kick in another $100 and pick up a G-Major....decisions decisions.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 01:08 PM

I don't get any hum when bi-amping, but Gresh is right. Sounds like you are stuck in a ground loop.

See if you can switch the ground polarity on your Mesa.

I can on my Rivera and it stopped the humming I was getting.

Other then that you can just get a ground lift as he suggested.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 02:30 PM

To all youse guys running the piezos into normal guitar amps...try running them into a dedicated acoustic guitar type amp. Heaven! I'm considering getting a Yamaha AG-Stomp at some point to make it even sweeter but we'll see.

Later,
G
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey
I can on my Rivera and it stopped the humming I was getting.
Why would you stop when getting a hum...

oops, wrong forum...
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 06:02 PM

Well it's party of running a bi-amped rig. Sometimes the grounds conflict. But being able to switch polarity of the ground on one of the amps or use a ground lift on one of the imputs, you can cancel the hum.

Tags
acoustic guitar , dual recto , ebmm jpm , ernie ball , flame maple , neck joint , piezo bridge , pod pro , power amp , practice amp , string lock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode