Played some Premiums today - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Played some Premiums today

I just went out looking at guitars today and sam ash had the premium JS, an SFG and the premium UV.

JS24PCA: Did not plug in but overall it played pretty well. 24 frets on a JS is interesting. Nice comfy body and 24 frets and an Edge, good stuff

Build quality: most of the guitar was nice but it looked like the neck pickup route was done with a chisel, not impressed with that but the rest was nice. Loved that it has an Edge.

70V SFG: Beautiful guitar, seems like a good build, was not setup very well and fought it a little bit. Sounded kind of hollow acoustically but that certainly isn't how I would play it so it is not a good comparison. Green vine threw me off visually when playing it and would just take some getting used to.

UV Premium:

Played nicely, sounded pretty good, fairly solid guitar. Just dont care for the trem.

Premium 920 in purple flame. Not sure if it was the setup on this guitar or what but I really wanted to take it home. Played awesome, sang even acoustically, really good build, frets ends were nice and rounded. One of the best playing guitars I have felt in awhile.

they are what they are, more affordable versions of our favorites.

Last edited by satchmo72; 08-11-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 11:46 AM

Re: Played some Premiums today

Hey Satch, what pups did the 920 have? just curious.

I played a 70V over here and it was pretty nice. Im going back up to tokyo and I'm gonna try out a couple JS', including the prem.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

The 920 had the IBZ Dimarzios. I did not plug in.

Yeah, they are pretty nice, nothing jaw dropping for me though, besides the 920.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo72 View Post
The 920 had the IBZ Dimarzios. I did not plug in.

Yeah, they are pretty nice, nothing jaw dropping for me though, besides the 920.
My 2550 Prestige has those same pups... I usually sit on bridge pups all the time but I was curious about the neck and the IBZ was muddy like a V7. Really disappointed. The bridge is great though.

i sometimes see prems over here but not that often. mostly standards and prestiges. Next time i see a true prem, I'll try it out.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

I was surprised to see 3 premiums in the same place to try out. The 920 was at a different store. It sucks shopping for Ibanez here. They never have anything.

Pickups dont mean as much to me because I know I can change them out, it's playability and build quality that do. I was very surprised by the 920.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I was surprised to see 3 premiums in the same place to try out. The 920 was at a different store. It sucks shopping for Ibanez here. They never have anything.

Pickups dont mean as much to me because I know I can change them out, it's playability and build quality that do. I was very surprised by the 920.
Did you find out when it was inspected or shipped out of the factory? From things people say, the newer stuff is finally getting better.

I dont know if you saw my RG350EXZ, and while that's a standard RG from Indonesia, it plays well. The indos in general are pretty good (but i still play my MIJs more lol). Did you ever play the lower end prestiges before they became the premium line (RG1550, etc)? Would you say they are still better uality than the indos, or have the indos gotten to that level?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 01:40 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Premium 920 in purple flame. Not sure if it was the setup on this guitar or what but I really wanted to take it home. Played awesome, sang even acoustically, really good build, frets ends were nice and rounded. One of the best playing guitars I have felt in awhile.
Not easy on my GAS...
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 01:58 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenoA View Post
Not easy on my GAS...

Me too.......... there's a cobalt blue one at the Sam Ash by me. it's on discount too...............

I'm still saving my penny's for a "Bitchin" JEM.......
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

I am trying to figure out how to get the purple 920. I REALLY liked it. The wife is giving me some grief though about wanting a purple guitar. I may just have to live with some abuse.

I'm giving me GAS now, dangit. They are closed on Sunday.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Did you find out when it was inspected or shipped out of the factory? From things people say, the newer stuff is finally getting better.

I dont know if you saw my RG350EXZ, and while that's a standard RG from Indonesia, it plays well. The indos in general are pretty good (but i still play my MIJs more lol). Did you ever play the lower end prestiges before they became the premium line (RG1550, etc)? Would you say they are still better uality than the indos, or have the indos gotten to that level?
I dont know, the guitar just had the shop tag. I dont remember the serial.

I had a RG370 tribal a few years ago, and I would probably still have it if the knife edges on the Edge 3 hadn't mushroomed. Sometimes when you pick something up in a shop, it just talks to you, the 370 did that, I recorded my first few songs with it. Solid guitar.

Even with the Zero trem, I still want that 920. It spoke to me.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
The wife is giving me some grief though about wanting another a purple guitar.
Corrected your post

May not apply to you but does apply to me!!!
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenoA View Post
Corrected your post

May not apply to you but does apply to me!!!
Well, there is that too but since I am down to one guitar after I sell the PRM, she cant say much.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Well, there is that too but since I am down to one guitar after I sell the PRM, she cant say much.
Well, I'm at 12 or 13 right now... Already have 4 RGs... Ah well... Could I sneak this one from the wife???
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Well, it depends on how big your wife is in case you get caught "sneaking" one.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Well, it depends on how big your wife is in case you get caught "sneaking" one.
I'm lucky... No big fat woman here! She's a real good looking woman! Anyway, when I'll pull the trigger, I'll let her know. She knows how I can be weak in front of a good guitar deal...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode