PLease educate me about Ibanez's bass guitar line - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

PLease educate me about Ibanez's bass guitar line

I currently don't have a bass and am pondering adding one for recording. I know effectively zero about bass guitars. As an Ibanez fan, I naturally looked first at Ibanez basses. What's the deal with them? Where are they made? Are they decent? If not, who makes solid affordable bass guitars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 08:58 AM

Re: PLease educate me about Ibanez's bass guitar line

I don't know too much about bass guitar either, but back in the days, ibanez soundgear is pretty popular among bassist.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 10:22 AM

Head over to Talkbass.com. There is a ton of info and as long as you don't troll or ask "which bass is the best for metal" (running joke over there) the people will give you solid advice. Of course there is a level of snobbery with the "Fender is the best evar!" and boutique only camps.

I have been a gigging bass player for a good portion of my life, and currently have a Fender AM STD. Jazz bass that will probably be buried with me. I have owned numerous Ibanez basses and they have all been decent. Still own a 91 EX series that is in pieces waiting for motivation and cash. IMO, a good option would be to scout the CL for a used Soundgear. Good basses, pencil thin necks, and cheap used. As with RG's, the higher the model number the more features it will have.

If you are looking for something cheap with classic tone that is bulletproof, a Squier Vintage Modified P Bass might be worth looking into. Change the pup/wiring, get it set up, and you will have a tone monster. These pop up on my local CL all the time for peanuts. You won't catch me with a Fender guitar (G&L's? Hells yeah!) but they do know how to make a great bass.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 11:06 AM

J, I have a newer Ibanez sound gear SR300 that works for my home recordings. There are a lot of tone options within this bass and it is a good player and relatively cheap.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 11:06 AM

Reviews: 4

My buddy is a bass player and he's had fenders, rickenbackers, Ibanez etc. He swears for the money a early 90s MIJ Ibanez Soundgear SR800 (4string) is the best he's ever played for the money.
He's got 2, both have factory active pickups. Active pickups make recording bass much easier (the string volumes are much more even).The necks are SUPER thin for a bass, VERY easy to play. I love them (I need to get one myself). You can find these for $250-$500 depending on condition.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/...t_id=200&now=3
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 11:44 AM

Reviews: 2

Hey Jesse, I bought a new SR305 in 2011 and LOVE it for my music. I don't know much about basses but I do know that the quality on this Indo made SR is pretty good. The neck is comfortable, the fretwork is decent right out of the box. I didn't have to do anything to them.

This guitar also has a wide variety of controls available which makes it VERY versatile. The "style sweeper" function is extremely useful. It also has high, mid, and bass cut knobs that make it pretty easy to dial in a tone. The pickups are pretty quiet which makes recording that much easier.

All-in, I think the SR's are a good deal for players (like us) that only need the instrument for recording purposes. I don't know how "road worthy" it would be, but you don't need it for that. My son swears by his Squire basses, but for the money I don't think you can beat the SR's versatility.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 12:21 PM

I don't know about now, but spector made some really nice basses back in the day.
They shouldn't be overlooked.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'm definitely not dropping the coin on a Fender, even if I liked the looks of them (I don't).

For the two people who mentioned them for recording (Ryc and Jeff), what are you playing them through? Obviously I don't have any sort of bass amp and with recording, I'd probably want to do direct in anyway.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 06:02 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2556 View Post
Active pickups make recording bass much easier (the string volumes are much more even)
Sorry, I didn't say that I record bass but I do. I have a Copley 5 string neck through.
As far as recording, I use a BBE 383 bass preamp going direct into my interface and I bought the RedWirez master sample speaker cab plugin bundle and they have ampeg and hartke
bass cabs as well. I put one of those cabs into a insert on 1 of the channels in cubase. eq to taste and it sounds great....
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks. This might be a stupid question but what kind of "bass sound" are you after?

I ask this because I know that if I knew nothing about guitar, someone might tell me that some modern high gain stuff is excellent and then I'd be really pissed off that it was completely not the sound I was after.

Perhaps I just need to get a bass and start screwing around? I have a POD X3, which has a bunch of bass amp models in it, so that should be enough to get me started.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Thanks guys. I'm definitely not dropping the coin on a Fender, even if I liked the looks of them (I don't).

For the two people who mentioned them for recording (Ryc and Jeff), what are you playing them through? Obviously I don't have any sort of bass amp and with recording, I'd probably want to do direct in anyway.
Jesse, the POD Pro X I have now has a tone of bass tones.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post

I have Jeff's HD500 now, but I haven't recorded with it yet. Before that I used a line6 "guitar rig" interface that sucked, Then I went direct into my Lexicon Omega interface which was really nice, I used an MXR compression pedal with that setup. I also have my sons Ampeg PF500 bass head that sounds incredible and is dirt cheap. Before that I was using my Gallien-Krueger 2100CPL pre-amp. It's a guitar pre, but did a great job on the clean channel with a compression pedal and 31-band EQ.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Nice. Totally wasn't aware of that new Pro X. They way they have the signal chain layout on it looks like the way they do it in Axe-Fx.

There's what I believe to be a '98 SR800 at the Guitar Center right by me for only $275. But there's another one on eBay for a bit more that looks really tasty. Would a '98 SR800 be MIJ? The one on eBay is a '93, which is definitely from my trusted era for Ibanez.

So I took a look through Fender's lineup and it basically seems to be entirely alder-bodied basses with bolt-on maple necks and either maple or rosewood boards. In other words exactly the same as their guitars. No exotic woods like I see from other manufacturers. What's their claim to fame?
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 10:04 AM

The old RG basses looked badass and were HUGE
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 11:19 AM

Forgot to mention.... your X3 will work just fine.

The SR800's are MIJ..... I think they ended MIJ production in '05? I think they went to the 900 series in '06.

Honestly, I think the best route for you would be a used SR500/505. They're MIK/MII, but way more than enough bass for any of our "casual user" needs. It has a bartolini pre-amp/EQ, Bartolini MK-1 pups, a brilliant sweep knob, and most importantly- an active/passive switch. This is a whole lot more guitar than an old MIJ SR800, a great bass known for it's "meh" electronics/pups. Out of the box- the 500/505 wins.

If I could pick ANY bass to be my next- it would be the 505M with it's silky mahogany body and maple fretboard.

FWIW... I think you should consider a 5-string. You may not need it now, buy I'm sure that at some point you'll want the extended range............

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode