please help me choose a guitar - rg series or what - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2001, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

please help me choose a guitar - rg series or what

hey guys, im ready to get another guitar, not sure if i want an RG ibanez or a new ernie ball petrucci. *the price is very different for each no matter what i do, so lets try it the "cheap" way first.

first, what rg would you get for this sound? and what pickups? *lookin for a real good clean sound, yet a very ballsy distortion type deal , the feel has to be ready to shred, its an absolute must. right now i have wolfgangs and an ibanez 7 string, gettin rid of the PRS i got. it must *have capability to divebomb and ask for more, the dream theater sound would be great. *by the way, im playing through a 5150 combo amp. *what would you go with? and how much do you figure it will cost me? please help me out im lookin for all suggestions thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2001, 06:02 AM

please help me choose a guitar

Well, if you want to go with an RG, then go for the 5xx series (520, 550, 570). They come with good feratures: edge bridge, super wizard necks, etc... List prices of those are around $800. You can then change the pu's to get more of the petrucci sound (DiMarzio Air Norton and Steve's Special as in the Ibanez JPM).

If you have more cash you may consider the prestige RGs, which are sweet, but have mahogany bodies, not basswood like JPM, and cost around $1500 (hehe)

The best thing to do though is to look for an used Ibanez JPM, which is a really cool guitar..... (not easy to find though)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2001, 10:46 AM

Stay with the RG 550 or above. I would recommend a H-S-H pickup configuration like the 550 because it gives you so many options for sound.

The ernie ball JPM is a very sweet axe, but you could end up with 2 or 3 nice RGs for the same price. I am more of a player than a collector so there is no question what I would do.

~RìcK :beammeup:
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2001, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

well im going to most likely go with an RG series, because like you said i could get 2 or 3 for the price of the new petrucci. *at any rate, would the RG570 be the best choice? *is buying a new aiight? *how well do they stay in tune?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2001, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Posted by vai311:
well im going to most likely go with an RG series, because like you said i could get 2 or 3 for the price of the new petrucci. *at any rate, would the RG570 be the best choice? is buying a new aiight? *how well do they stay in tune?
Set up properly they stay in tune perfectly!
Nice choice. I'm also a bit pissed about the price of EB JPM price. With a price of a full option 7 string EB JPM you would be able to get like two JemDBKs or almost 3 Rg2020xs (here in Finland)!!!

OoDee
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 06:24 AM

Go for the 570, it's a good guitar with a good trem and it gives you a lot of freedom to customise it if you wish....
As far as I know they are of a good quality and they feel very good (very light + comfortable)......
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 09:15 AM

Here's what I learnt in the past decade of Ibanez guitars... :biggrin:

"When in doubt, buy an S-series... You just can't go wrong"... :love:

I just wonder why I was never in doubt... :lame:

(Edited by Spiral Acid at 9:18 am on July 23, 2001)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 11:39 PM

yeah i say go for the 550 and above..ultimate shred machine!!!:loco:
agree with spiral...if u are unsure, go for an S..very versatile instruments
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 03:14 AM

As a very happy RG570 owner, I say "Just Go For It!" *I bought a used 1998 model at Guitar Center in Atlanta for $450. *Not a scratch on it. *The thing that I really like about this guitar is that it is a great value. *It's like what? $609 at Musician's Friend? *The Edge bridge holds the correct tune very well. *It doesn't have the "lion's claw" routing of the Jem, but it has just as much space to pivot in, just not the visual effect. *I'm not too hot on the Ibanez pickups but what can you expect out of stock pickups anyway? *I got to test drive one when I was passing through Knoxville, TN. *If you ever get the chance, stop by a showroom. *It's like walking into the magazine but you could probably haggle a bit.

But anyway, do yourself a favor and check out the user reviews at www.harmonycentral.com *A lot of people say that it goes out of tune and stuff but a lot of people probably have no idea how to set up an Edge tremelo system. *And that's what this site is for, right?

Tags
air norton , combo amp , dimarzio air , dimarzio air norton , edge bridge , edge trem , ernie ball , ibanez guitars , ibanez jpm , ibanez pickups , shred machine , super wizard neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode