Please help me decide.. RG series vs S - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Please help me decide.. RG series vs S

Hello all,

I've been lurking here for some time, but now it's time to show up.

Anyway, there's a dilemma I am to face.

My main guitar is Gibson LP, I also own an Am St Strat; both are
hard-tail guiatrs and are quite recognizable and specific. Now, I
want to get a versatile guitar, that could allow me to combine
single-coil and humbucker tones, with a nice slim neck and a double
locking trem. And the only superstrat brand that I like is Ibanez.
And I like it a lot.

The most expensive thing I can afford is a new RG1570. That's what
I'm going to get in case "all else fails". Other two options are:
(the most desirable) used RG 550 or (less desirable) new S470.
I'm looking into Korean S series for two reasons - they're cheaper,
and they have the new trem that hopefully won't wear out too quickly
in comparison with the EII.

I am planning to replace at least the bridge pick up anyway.
And the question is: is RG1570 really worth the extra money, if - the
S series have mahogany bodies (as opposed to basswood), ZR trem
promises to be quite good, and there's a pick up swap on the horizon?

Sorry for the long post..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 09:46 AM

The newer Jap RGs also have a new trem, that is still better in many people's opinions to any new Korean guitar trem.

2nd hand 550 (with Edge or Lo-pro Edge) is cool and versatile I would think, considering that wiring options are a little easier (no or little wood routing necessary). RG1550 or RG2550 also good options if you like the pickguard.

I don't know if Korean S's have the ZR trem, someone will confirm that anyway.

Also as you already have a LP which I would assume is mahogany, and a strat that is probably alder or ash, why not basswood. I don't think you'll find a "better" singlecoil tone than the strat though.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

not that i plan to part with the strat or lp. no, i am just seduced lately with the double-locking trem, and an ability to have all the tones in one package.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 06:17 PM

Yep, Korean S series guitars have the ZR trem. And if you already play Strats and Les Pauls, you'll probably feel more comfortable with an S series neck than an RG.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 09:34 PM

Just to add additional confusion- have you looked at picking up a Radius? I like them better then both the S and RG guitars, but that's just my opinion. If you are a strat player, the Radius body might be a more comfortable fit and the Ultra necks have a great feel. They will also give you all the features you are looking for. And, they can usually be found used for decent prices. Sorry, just had to repreasent for the Radius! [/i]
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen
Sorry, just had to repreasent for the Radius! [/i]
The Radius rocks!

They are a little hard to come by in decent shape, though.

Given the choice between an RG 550/570/1570 and an S with the ZR trem, i'd probably lean more towards the S. I find RG necks a bit too thin, and i don't like the pointy cutaways. I like the sound of mahogany, and i think i'd like the stability of the ZR trem if i'm used to hardtails.

But that's just me.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 10:57 PM

If your new to trem equipped guitars, the ZR trem is the way to go. They return to pitch without any effort on your part. If you want to drop D. The S guitars are very well made, and priced right. I work on em everyday.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 09:29 AM

Ofcourse if you want versatility, the RG1570 will have 24 frets and the aanj which is nice. Also the h/s/h configuration. If you can wire it to split the humbuckers (and pickup change ofcourse) --- there ya go--very versatile.

Although, I agree that nothing sounds like a strat --- I hate 'em for quality standars, but nothing sounds like 'em. If someone has been able to make thier RG sound like a strat by splitting coils let me know b/c I want that too.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses.. I don't know whether aanj should be a concern, because after playing a LP, anything from Ibanez is, you know, "all access"

Never heard about the Radius, though..

Tags
equipped guitar , korean guitar , les paul , les pauls , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode