Please help me with guitar pu wiring... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Please help me with guitar pu wiring...

Hi there!

IŽll start building my own guitar in the next few weeks. The woods etc. wonŽt be the problem, but IŽm still trying to understand the wiring stuff. I can solder, the connection of the parts is no problem.
The problem is: I know which sounds I want, but I donŽt know how to design the wiring diagram. I found the diagrams at dimarzio.com, projectguitar.com and seymourduncan.com, but I donŽt know how to alter the diagrams to my needs. Maybe someone can help me.

My guitar is going to have a SD ScreaminŽ Demon and a Cool Rails (a sc sized humbucker). I want to switch between both humbuckers individually and both combined (3 sounds), and split each coil individually (4 more). In addition to that I want an Ibanez JPM-like sound of two coils of each pu combined, that makes a total of 8 sounds. How to do that with 2 push/pull pots and one or two mini switches?

Thanks a lot for reading this and helping me!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 11:06 AM

I think you should cut that down a little; a lot of the sounds will probably be much the same.

How about a 3-way switch to choose between the two pickups, then a push/pull pot for each pickup to either split them or switch them series/parallel?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Hm, you may be right. How would the wiring diagram look like? I found this wiring diagram on the sd site. The only change to this diagram would be to connect the red and white of the neck pu to a second push/pull pot. It would be identical to the wiring of the bridge pu. Is that correct?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 04:58 AM

Yup, that'd do it.

The other option is to switch the humbuckers from series to parallel instead of splitting them; I personally prefer that sound but it's all a matter of taste.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 12:15 PM

Well, you could get exactly what you wanted with two DPDTs and two push/pull pots. Just wire up each pickup to a DPDT as a phase switch, and to a push/pull for the coil tapping. When tapped, the phase switch selects which p/u coil is on.

I agree with dot dot dot though. I would wire for series/parallel switching personally.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 12:18 PM

and by my count this would give you 15 different combinations, unless the switch tapped both coils simultaneously, at which point you would have 7.

Unless of course, you include NO SOUND AT ALL as one of your possibilites, then you have 8.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies!

How can I wire each pu to a switch AND a push/pull pot? By soldering them e.g. to the pot and from there with an additional wire to the switch?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 05:39 PM

For the phase switch, use a DPDT on/on mini switch. It will have 6 pins on the bottom of the switch, like this:

---------
| 6 5 4 |
|
| 1 2 3 |
---------

Then, wire it up:
RED --> pin 5
GREEN --> pin 2
a jumper wire: pin 6 --> pin 3
another jumper: pin 1 --> pin 4

Then a wire from pin 4 -- this is your hot oupput
A wire from pin 3 - this goes to ground

Next, for the coil switching, you have a few options. You could tap each coil separately, or use one control for both.

To tap one coil with a DPDT:

---------
| 6 5 4 |
|
| 1 2 3 |
---------

BLACK and WHITE ---> pin 5
wire pin 4 to ground.

You can use the other side of the switch (pins 2 and 3) to tap the other p/u.

This is from memory STRAIGHT out of a little wiring guide dimarzio includes with all its humbuckers. Just adapt as necessary
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

That should work, IŽll wire it up this way and see how it sounds.

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Tags
coil tap , coil tapping , ibanez jpm , mini switches , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode