Please help me ... setup problems - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Smile Please help me ... setup problems

Hello all!

I just recently bought a RG2820 CTVV (wonderful guitar) traded away my old RG550bk and bought this.

Alright now to the problem. I prefer 0.10 stringsets and I spent days with this brand new 2820 but it just doesn't stay in tune. I've done everything according to the "book" (temporarily fixed the bridge,etc ..etc.. tightened the screws of the spring holder...and so on) nothing helps. If I on the other hand mount 0.9 strings on it, I have it setup and running within 30 minutes.

I had the same problem with my 550bk and eventually I had 5 springs on that one.

In the tech/setup part of this website there's an entry about this problem, recomended solution is to add more springs. Thats fine but where do I find those 2 extra springs since they are not the regular type with: one rounded end and one 90 degree end.

The 2 extra ones on the picture have rounded ends on both sides (since there are no holes in the block to mount that 90 degree "hook")

PLease help me with the following:
1) where can I buy such springs?
2) should I go for a tremsetter instead?
3) are there any other solution to this?

Like I said it's a piece of cake to set it up with 009 strings, but when switching to 010 it's and endless p.i.t.a..
But I really do prefer to play 010 strings, I think they produce better tone and somehow it is esier for me to play fast wit those.

thanks for taking the time to read this,
any help or hint is greatly appreciated

//Kenneth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 01:37 AM

Re: Please help me ... setup problems

Forget about the special springs, just get the normal ones and put the spring retainer bar in a drawer or your guitar case. You'll never miss it. I have a 1994 Lo Pro Edge equipped RG550 that was produced before the retainer bars were introduced. I keep the rear trem spring cover off at all times and I've never had a problem with a spring popping off the trem block.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 01:57 AM

sounds to me like you have bigger problems then weak trem springs.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfiend14
sounds to me like you have bigger problems then weak trem springs.
I don't understand what you mean? why would it be another problem?

//Kennet

Ps.. thanks both of you for helping me, I really appreciate it Ds...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 08:48 AM

Did you make sure you stretched those .10's really good? Have a look at the neck too.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

The neck looks fine, and I stretched the 0.10 just fine, I had them mounted on for 2 days, played and tuned every now and then during those 2 days.

And then when I put on a 09 set it takes under 30 minutes to get it straight, and it plays well, stays in tune and all ...

I don't know unusual it is for people to use 0.10 on those tremolos F-Rose types, but I have never had any problems with 09 strings on tremolos. And as I mentioned before, my RG550 couldn't handle it either until I added 2 more springs so I ended up with 5 springs. I drilled 2 more holes for those extra springs in the block, but I don't want to do that with this guitar ...

thats why I thought ... a tremsetter or those othr types of springs with rounded ends on both sides..

thanks again you all for trying to help me, still don't know what to do

have a good one..

btw: anyone tried this?
-----
ROCKINGER Black Box
Back
Tremolo Stabilizer. The classic add-on unit which puts every Floyd Rose- or Fender-style tremolo into a fixed rest position.

A small spring loaded mechanism allows a free floating tremolo to return into a pre-definided position after usage. This also prevents the tremolo from buzzing after hitting the strings too hard. The ROCKINGER Black Box is being installed in the tremolo routing between two tremolo springs.
http://www.rockinger.com/index.html?lang=ENG
-----
it's supposed todo the same thing right??

//Kenneth

Last edited by Ken1; 06-14-2005 at 11:47 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 11:46 AM

I use 10's and I know the problem you're describing. They pull harder than 9's and the FR bridge comes up, action too high etc. Now I've settled for hybrid string sets, beginning with 9's, but CAN use 10's anytime I want with the trem claw screw turned in a little bit to compensate for added string tension. You said you've done that? Turn them tighter still.

But if you really want those extra springs, there are springs that are close, but not for guitars. They're a variety of all purpose, double-eyed springs at big hardware or specialty home stores, better if you're in Canada with Canadian Tire Store. Strat Man Dwight
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 02:27 PM

I used 10s on my Jem a while. I had to screw the trem screws pretty far in. I am using 9s at the moment though.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Please help me ... setup problems

Thank you very much for all the help ..

very nice of you ... I followed the advice from "ScreamJem7"
and added a forth spring ... and it worked out right of the bat
it sound very nice, and it stays perfectly in tune now ...

in my taste I get so much more tone by changing from 09 to 010
and I am able to play alot faster as well ..

so thank you all..

//Kenneth

Tags
floating tremolo , floyd rose , pro edge , retainer bar , string tension , trem block , trem claw , trem springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode