Please someone explain why the Lo TRS trem II is hated?? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Please someone explain why the Lo TRS trem II is hated??

I have had RG550's, an RG770DX, and a couple others that had Edge trems which I liked just fine. I currently have a RG470FM (Korean made--and plays as well as the Japan guitars I've had) with a maple fretboard---oddball? At any rate, this guitar has the Lo TRS trem II bridge. It intonates correctly and stays in tune, so I am wondering why this trem is not liked---I really like the guitar and am going to change out the horrible stock inf pickups, but should I be looking at changing the trem also.

Thanks for your help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 11:01 AM

Give it time. The pivot points are softer, so it will start going out of tune with use. Plus, IMO it doesn't feel as smooth as an edge.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 12:55 PM

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, that is helpful info. This particular Korean seems to have decent parts, (body, neck), it's a shame that the trem is so weak. I love the color of this one and haven't seen it in the upper end RG's--also the maple fretboard--what's up with that on a 470? It's like a burnt orange color flamed top. Although the flame isn't real visible (thin veneer I'm sure), it is a nice pattern.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 07:30 PM

Well the thing about the lo trs, is the post and knife edges. Both will wear out so fast it will make your head spin. ON an edge trem when adjusting action i leave it in full tune, and leave the springs in place and everything. If Im setting up a lo-trs i usually remove two or three or all springs then adjust action height. Keeps the knife edges lasting longer
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 11:23 PM

I find the TRS sounds a lot more like the OFR (nice & bright), The edge trems have a damped tone in comparison. Gotoh makes a trem that has the same footprint as the TRS & is as hard as the ORF base plate.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 09:53 PM

Because they might as well be made of tin foil, that'd be a hell of an improvement.

Mine was nothing but hell and I ended up dropping an Edge in my '470, and haven't looked back.

The TRS was in my guitar for a whole month, now it's in storage, but I looked at it the other day. and you'd be AMAZED at how rusted, corroded, and grimy it looks just from sitting in my drawer. The cosmo seems to deteriorate by the hour.

The Edge I got was like 10 years old, and it's got slight wear on the the top of hte pivot area on the E and A string saddles, ever so slight, and it's held up perfectly fine. This thing will last longer than Cher! That TRS barely lasted that month.

It's just weird that so many other people do fine with theirs, I must have gotten an absolutely horrible one, but I had all kinds of problems with it. Strings would always pop out, so I went from lightly clamping them to having to clamp them tighter and tighter as the problem continued, and finally I just couldnt handle having half step bends rip the string out of the saddle. Pathetic. The TRS saddles were made of really soft metal apparently, and no matter how gently I clamped them early on, it would eat into the saddle. And I kept having to clamp them tighter and tighter. And the last time I bothered using it, as a last resort, I just clamped them as tight as they would possibly go, and I could feel the metal giving way, and there was never any solid "this feels snug" feeling about it. No matter how you did it, it always felt weak.

The Edge gives you a VERY solid snug feel. You know when the stirng is clamped, and the metal the saddles are made of can handle it.

(For the record, I was using Blue Steels at the time, does anyone know if maybe Blue Steels are really hard on double-locking trem systems? That might explain it, but I doubt it.)

The TRS, since a half step bend would yank the strings out, was hardly ever even moved. But sure enough, after a month of EXTREMELY gentle use, the knife edges had huge (1mm probably) dents in them from the posts. This is just from string tension alone with .010's.

I'm never getting any cheap trem'ed guitar ever again. But at least that 470 turned out to be a hell of a guitar with the Edge in it. I love it. But I learned my lesson...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 07:03 PM

I have a RG320QS with the lo-trs II. I think it does the job, i wouldn't abuse the tremolo like I do on my RG770

Tags
base plate , edge trem , edge trems , inf pickups , maple fret , maple fretboard , string saddle , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode