Plenty of "fast necks," what about slow necks? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Plenty of "fast necks," what about slow necks?

I see reviews all the time about how fast their guitars are and how they can do things with their newer guitar that they couldn't do with their older one. Between the two guitars that I have, one Ibanez and one Schecter, the Ibanez feels faster cause it's thinner and unpainted, while the Schecter isn't as fast cause it's wider and painted, but nevertheless it's still a fast shredder.

Despite this, I haven't heard of anyone saying they have a slow guitar. Is there such a thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:57 PM

Re: Plenty of "fast necks," what about slow necks?

Fast neck doesn't really mean anything, it's just a word people use to try to sell guitars. People use it to refer to a thin neck with a flat fingerboard, but it has nothing to do with speed or how fast you can play that guitar.

No one says they have a slow guitar because it wouldn't help sell it.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 11:35 PM

Reviews: 18

Haha. Yeah, It would be a marketing disaster If a company advertised a guitar with a slow neck. The fastest necks IMO are those that are thin and flat. The least amount of fretboard radius the better. The original 87 wizard neck is the epitome of speed in my eyes. The necks I am least fond of are 50's Gibson necks and anything else that resembles a baseball bat in thickness.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 06:51 AM

Reviews: 1

There are no "slow necks", only slow players.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
There are no "slow necks", only slow players.
This. Some of the fastest players use thick necks. Some of the absolute WORST use thin ones.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:11 AM

Paul Gilbert has played guitars with thin necks (any PGM) and with thick necks (the Fireman) and he still shreds on the thicker neck.

I've got guitars with thin neck (PGMs) and thick necks (Gibson LP w/50s neck) and can play at the same speed on either.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Paul Gilbert has played guitars with thin necks (any PGM) and with thick necks (the Fireman) and he still shreds on the thicker neck.
And there's the issue - El Pablo could play a neck the size of a tree trunk made out of left over racing slicks and STILL shred, all whilst cooking teppanyaki!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 12:00 PM

Well if you were selling an Eric Clapton guitar you could say it has a slow neck for playing like "Slowhand."
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
And there's the issue - El Pablo could play a neck the size of a tree trunk made out of left over racing slicks and STILL shred, all whilst cooking teppanyaki!
Quote:

I've got guitars with thin neck (PGMs) and thick necks (Gibson LP w/50s neck) and can play at the same speed on either.
...and that is because shred is in the player, not the instrument or the pedals or the amp.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
Well if you were selling an Eric Clapton guitar you could say it has a slow neck for playing like "Slowhand."
+1
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 09:22 AM

I've owned a Strat, an Epi Les Paul, and a handful of "shredder" guitars (Floyd or Kahler, thinner neck, low action, yada yada) and even for basic power chord bashing, I find the shred guitars much easier to play. And I need all the help I can get, LOL...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 12:26 PM

Reviews: 39

Quote:
...and that is because shred is in the player, not the instrument or the pedals or the amp.
Aye, sir. Aye.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 12:39 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
A huge and probably the biggest part of that reason is that he has incredibly huge hands and long, skinny fingers. I on the other hand can't really touch my middle finger with my thumb past the 12 or 13 fret when I have my hand wrapped around an average sized bolt on neck. In some cases different models simply don't work for some people in a way that goes beyond 'personal preference'.

On a similar vein, I would probably hate Paul Gilbert's new 'old school' neck joint guitar
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 06:12 PM

Reviews: 3

All a matter of taste I think. I have an old 550 with a wizard neck that I've had for 20 years or so. I used to love it but now the shape makes my hand get tired very quickly.

However the Aria that I just got for $100 on craigslist feels like greased lightning in my hands. It's a lot more rounded and not as wide, but not a baseball bat by any means. I have an older Roadstar that has a similar but slightly wider neck. Both of these feel "faster" to me than the wizard.

I think a lot of it has to do with the size of your hands and fingers as well as your fretting technique.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 11:37 AM

Reviews: 3

it has a lot to do with finding a neck that is just the right size and shape. I can't say any of my guitars are faster than the others. The one I use the most right now is the one with the thickest neck and I don't think I'm that much slower on that one compared to the others. Sure, my fr404 is easier, but that has more to do with it (accidentally) having a very good setup.

Tags
fast , guitar , neck , slow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode