Poor quality fretwire common in Prestige? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
mpr

Poor quality fretwire common in Prestige?

I have an RG2550Z where the frets become "gritty" after a few months or less, at least with no use. They look a little tarnished, and bending feels like it's on fine grit sandpaper. Not sure it can be seen in the photo, maybe in full size:

Is poor quality fretwire common in Prestige line guitars? The guitar is stored in its case, in the house, little humidity, not near the sea, wasn't exposed to the elements. I have another guitar, non-Ibanez, much cheaper, and no fret problems under the exact same conditions.

When I first bought the RG the frets felt similarly bad. I thought it was just bad storage in the store or during import, and asked the store to take care of it. They treated the frets, and it felt good. A few months later, during which I haven't used the guitar, same problem.

It seems even some of the screws on the guitar are of poor quality. See the ones covered in white, as opposed to the still-black ones:

Even the nut screws look a bit fishy (light in photo isn't good):
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 10:39 AM

Re: Poor quality fretwire common in Prestige?

Might be your sweat
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
mpr

I practically didn't touch the guitar between the time it was smooth (back from treatment) and bad again.

Are your Ibanez guitars okay in this regard? What models/years?
post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 12:30 PM

Never had an issue with corrosion and I've owned ibbys from pretty much every year.
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
mpr

So they all had smooth-feeling frets after months/years? (Other than normal use wear.)

What about the screws of the pickguard and nut in your guitar? I find it offensive that a $1100+ guitar uses screws probably crappier than what you'd get in a $5 100-pack.
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr View Post
So they all had smooth-feeling frets after months/years? (Other than normal use wear.)

What about the screws of the pickguard and nut in your guitar? I find it offensive that a $1100+ guitar uses screws probably crappier than what you'd get in a $5 100-pack.
I've had Ibanez Jems from the late 80s and early 90s with smooth frets. You might just have a dud. Haven't had the screw issue either.

I'm not an ibanez fanboy either, I probably post the most ibanez h8 on this forum
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 02:14 PM

I've had this happen to essentially all nickel silver frets I've ever used. They're fine if you keep playing on them regularly (so the strings are rubbing against the frets), but if I let a guitar sit for more than a month or two, they begin to oxidize, which is exactly what you're describing. Ibanez, Fender, PRS SE, Schecter... If the guitar sits long enough, the fretwire will oxidize.

The good news is it's an easy fix (follow Rich's procedure on Ibanezrules.com), and it's even easier to prevent - just play regularly, and the guitar will be fine. Or, you could have your guitar refretted with stainless (which I go for whenever I can- I prefer it), but expect that to be pretty expensive.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 04:27 PM

This happens when I leave guitars in there cases for a month or so without playing. Some of the fret sandpaper cleans them right up.
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 07:01 PM

Reviews: 10

I have the same RG2550zgk model and I have not had that problem. Easy solution though - use steel wool to smooth and buff the frets and then oil the fret board and it should feel nice and smooth again =)
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
mpr

Completely opposite experiences here, how's that? Maybe different fretwire types used on the same model depending on batch/year/something? Climate?

Stealth, dorian: Do you mean no problem on guitars your play regularly, or also guitars that are unused for a few weeks/months?

Drew: Nickel-silver as opposed to stainless steel, or what other types do you mean? The guitar I have without this problem is a Schecter. I don't think the fretwire it uses is anything fancy.

dorian: Well, it is a hassle If I'm going to have to do it every few weeks. Do you have it happen/not happen on other guitars? The one above is a 2011 or 2012, what's yours? Oh, and I don't have a GK, it's GW.

What about the screws, did you people experience that white rust or something similar?
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 09:57 PM

I haven't had the problem on guitars I play regularly or store. Although I have bought guitars with frets that were rough like you describe but that's because the guitars were basically put into storage with dirty old strings and gucky stuff on the fingerboard. If the guitar is put away clean with clean strings then this should not happen. and the fret dress that I spoke of with steel wool is something that will last for years if you store the guitar properly after.
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Vendor

Did you put lemon oil on the fretboard? That will just accelerate corrosion. The evaporatives in the case attack the nickel. The corrosion on the screws is from leaving sweat on them.
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Did you put lemon oil on the fretboard? That will just accelerate corrosion. The evaporatives in the case attack the nickel. The corrosion on the screws is from leaving sweat on them.
I didn't know lemon oil did that... I use the Dunlop lemon oil occasionally if the board looks dry but I always wipe it down to remove any excess... What do you recommend instead of the lemon oil to keep the rose wood boards in good condition?
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 01:54 AM
Vendor

Lemon or is made from lemons, very acidic PH. Attacks nickel, especially in closed case where it evaporating off the board right onto the fret.

Woodwind bore oil.
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 04:28 AM

Would a very dry board also cause nickel to rust?

Tags
frets , fretwire , rust , tarnish , unsmooth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode