Possible issue with trem....or am I just nuts? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
rdm

Possible issue with trem....or am I just nuts?

I'm a new trem owner....but think I pretty much have it figured out to where I'm comfortable at doing my own setups and all that good stuff on this guitar. It's an Ibanez RG series with a Edge 3 trem (I believe).

The tuning has been spot on for the past month or so....then all of a sudden this week it seems that it is slowly "drifting" out of tune. It's not that when I adjust one string....another goes out of tune. They're all detuning at the same time. The strings were stretched out and the locks on the nut are firm. When I initially setup the guitar, the fine tuners were screwed out a little less than half-way, giving me some room to play with for tuning. Now....I have my fine tuners screwed almost all the way in to have it in tune.

The only thing I can think of is a change in the weather? It has gotten a bit warmer here in Vegas.....but the guitar is in a climate controlled room. Thoughts? Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 03:49 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: Possible issue with trem....or am I just nuts?

It's possible that the change in weather has affected the tuning in the guitar. It is also possible that the strings weren't completely stretched out and/or are just in need of replacement.

Two things I would try if I were you:

1. Retune the guitar and play with it normally for a week and see if the problem goes away.

2. Inspect the guitar and see if the neck screws are still tight, etc. Put a fresh set of strings on and see what happens.

Jimmy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 04:26 PM

or the springs are "giving" a little every day...

So, stretch strings and springs carefully and retune and lock.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
rdm

How should I stretch the strings? Pull them out and stretch?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 04:45 PM

believe me I did that in the past.

Bend notes on the strings at different frets.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
rdm

OK...I'll give that a whirl. thanks!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:02 PM

Check the screws thru the neck that hold the locking nut down. Often climate changes will make those get a little loose and the whole nut can shift a little when you dump the trem.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 05:14 AM
bdk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm View Post
I'm a new trem owner....but think I pretty much have it figured out to where I'm comfortable at doing my own setups and all that good stuff on this guitar. It's an Ibanez RG series with a Edge 3 trem (I believe).

The tuning has been spot on for the past month or so....then all of a sudden this week it seems that it is slowly "drifting" out of tune. It's not that when I adjust one string....another goes out of tune. They're all detuning at the same time. The strings were stretched out and the locks on the nut are firm. When I initially setup the guitar, the fine tuners were screwed out a little less than half-way, giving me some room to play with for tuning. Now....I have my fine tuners screwed almost all the way in to have it in tune.

The only thing I can think of is a change in the weather? It has gotten a bit warmer here in Vegas.....but the guitar is in a climate controlled room. Thoughts? Is this normal?
The moistier/dryness level can affect the neck, so it may be bending the neck, which is perfectly normal. Climate controlled or HUMIDITY CONTROLLED? very different. Get a barometer, they're cheap liek 20 bucks to keep an eye out. I'm bettting that's the problem it is a widespread issue especially in a place like vegas where it can get really wet and really dry. Owning a guitar for 1 month isn't long enough for the knife edges of a trem to go bad unless you're a total dousche bag doing dive bombs in your sleep.

Second possibility, get a new trem. This is why an original Edge/OFR are superior to many bridges. The edges are hardened steel so they stay true longer.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 06:07 AM

i have an edge 3 trem on one of my guitars, id check you knife edges etc are all the same as when you strung it up,then put the fine tuners back to how you like to have them after restringing, then unlock the nut and retune it back up using the machineheads, lock it all down and see what happens after playing for a while/sitting for a few days... -it could just be a change in the weather though...

Tags
locking nut , neck screws

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode