Possible upgrade options on prs se bernie marsden - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Possible upgrade options on prs se bernie marsden

Hi all some advice needed,

About a year ago i bought a 1997 prs custom 22 with dragon 2 pickups and it rocks, simple as,
Now im looking for a singlecut body style from prs to match.

Ive read a few reviews of the se bernie marsden, which looks fab but with stripped down specs and hardwear when compared to the custom 22' s and so on.

So now my local shop have told me about the joe bonnamasso sig pickup set coming out and im thinking is it worth switching pickups with the stock ones, as well as other possible upgrades, tuning pegs, vol pots with a split coil perhaps, and other upgrade options ?

Or am i barking up the wrong tree, and perhaps better off just buying a higher end guitar to start with ?

Any advice would be greatly appriciated

Nick

http://www.prsguitars.com/seberniemarsden/
http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/ne...re-pickup-set/

Prs se £600
Sig pickups £305
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 05:34 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Possible upgrade options on prs se bernie marsden

If there's ever a certain guitar you like, regardless of price but you can afford it--get it! Nothing wrong with upgrading pickups and hardware on any guitar--hell, most of us do that all of the time!
Even top-of-the-line guitars may have pickups that you just don't dig. For example--the Ibanez Jem 7VWH. Some people just don't like the DiMarzio Evolutions and swap them out for different pickups.

The rule of thumb should be: if you like a guitar, then buy it. If you don't like some aspect of that guitar--change it.
I love all 30-something of my various Ibanez guitars, but I've swapped the pickups out of all of them for DiMarzios.

Buy what you like, and make it better if you can.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 09:20 AM

The Marsden is essentially a 245 with a different knob layout. I think for what you are paying, not sure if you do the pickups yourself you are close to what you would pay for a used SC245 which comes i believe with 245 pickups and had #7's in before. Great pickups.

Make sure you like the scale length of these.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Good idea' s all round, think ill try and secure the pickups and go from there, mostly cause they look so beastly i need to own some lol,

Just under 2000 being made so better get a move on !
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 01:10 PM

$500 for a set of pickups is quite a bit Enjoy
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 04:36 PM

Reviews: 11

Maybe you should wait until you actually GET the guitar before you think about changing pickups. Hell, you might like the stock pickups so much that you'll buy a set for your Custom 22. Probably won't happen, but it's very possible.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Yup a lil pricey but they sound great !, and tbh ive just orderd the pickups as they are limited for a small number and there arnt that many allocated for uk market..im sure ill find a use for them..just so happened i was looking at the prs bernie at the same time and heard that the pickups arnt that hot, tho will hopefully find out this weekend at the local shop

Either way the pickups will be mine , and will find a guitar for them....allways thought i was a lil backward lol
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 06:19 PM

Enjoy always like Joe's tone myself. My Bonamassa LP was my main guitar for the longest time.

Tags
prs se bernie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode