Poured though vintage MIJ RG560 through Dual Rectifier - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Poured though vintage MIJ RG560 through Dual Rectifier

Man oh man, what a great combo I came across at used music store today!

I couldn't figure out the amp to shape the sounds as easily as I do on Marshall, but every nuance and tone from the stock V and S pickups on the RG560 was amazing.

I had played some good for money new Chinese or Indo made RGs and some better slightly used MIK Ibanez superstrats, but this late-80s/early-90s MIJ Ibanez RG was like a totally different animal with even thinner neck and fatter frets. This thing, akin to something like a Vigier, played itself.

It was totally banged to heck and no doubt has the marks of gigging during the 80's metal scene and for $400 it still seemed like a great deal since neck and trem worked well and were in good condition.

Any recommendations on 560 and I don't know if it was Edge or Lo Pro trem?

Last edited by 63Blazer; 04-24-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 10:57 PM

Re: Poured though vintage MIJ RG560 through Dual Rectifier

Welcome to the club i have a spare parts rg 550 (composed of a 570 neck, 550 body & whatever spares i had) + a 570 from that period myself. They're always a pleasure to play. 550 is abit lower action & more comfortable, 570 sounds nicer. '88-'91 should be edge, '92 edge pro. You can tell the difference by looking at the saddles on the bridge, here's some info on both:

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/Edge
http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/Lo_Pro_Edge
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1983 View Post
Welcome to the club i have a spare parts rg 550 (composed of a 570 neck, 550 body & whatever spares i had) + a 570 from that period myself. They're always a pleasure to play. 550 is abit lower action & more comfortable, 570 sounds nicer. '88-'91 should be edge, '92 edge pro. You can tell the difference by looking at the saddles on the bridge, here's some info on both:

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/Edge
http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/Lo_Pro_Edge
Thanks so much for info. Edge, definitely based off of those pictures.

What a great git, and I want it or similar. I always knew it (MIJ RG) was a great guitar, but wow! I grew up with Gibson and Fender and preferred the bolt on thing with Fender but struggled with roundish 7.25" inch radius. Also reach to higher notes was not good, and not good on my Gibsons, either. RG has all the humbucker power I want and strat feel of body. But that Wizard neck is the bomb! If on a desert island with a solidbody that has a locking trem, then RG is the one. It surpasses the great Yamaha, Charvel, and Fender Custom shop superstrats I used in the past by a country mile. Hollowbody preference is 335 shape and acoustic is probably a nice nylon string or OM steel string, but what I pick up most often is a solidbody and that RG seems to be the best of many worlds and cleverly borrowed from many makes before it to tie it all into one great machine.

That greatness is why people most often picture an RG when they hear the name Ibanez, and why people think Les Paul most often for Gibson and Stratocaster most often for Fender. But unlike those other two, RG not only defines a company but a whole genre. In the 1980s, especially after Steve Vai, the RG was synonymous with metal and shredding. Sure people might use a '62 strat for metal/shredding or a sunburst Les Paul, but more often than not the RG denotes a lead guitar player who uses big amps and distortion. It may be unfair and inaccurate to say that to an Ibanez fan, but that's the overwhelming perception I got when I was not an Ibanez user.

Also in the 80's you had other hard rock guitars built to shred from ground up like the RG, namely the Jackson/Charvel superstrats, Washburn Nuno, Valley Arts superstrat, Carvin, and BC Rich but Ibanez RG always seemed to be out there more when it came to those diatonic notes being played everywhere.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 04-25-2015 at 01:23 AM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 02:26 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Thanks so much for info. Edge, definitely based off of those pictures.

What a great git, and I want it or similar. I always knew it (MIJ RG) was a great guitar, but wow! I grew up with Gibson and Fender and preferred the bolt on thing with Fender but struggled with roundish 7.25" inch radius. Also reach to higher notes was not good, and not good on my Gibsons, either. RG has all the humbucker power I want and strat feel of body. But that Wizard neck is the bomb! If on a desert island with a solidbody that has a locking trem, then RG is the one. It surpasses the great Yamaha, Charvel, and Fender Custom shop superstrats I used in the past by a country mile. Hollowbody preference is 335 shape and acoustic is probably a nice nylon string or OM steel string, but what I pick up most often is a solidbody and that RG seems to be the best of many worlds and cleverly borrowed from many makes before it to tie it all into one great machine.

That greatness is why people most often picture an RG when they hear the name Ibanez, and why people think Les Paul most often for Gibson and Stratocaster most often for Fender. But unlike those other two, RG not only defines a company but a whole genre. In the 1980s, especially after Steve Vai, the RG was synonymous with metal and shredding. Sure people might use a '62 strat for metal/shredding or a sunburst Les Paul, but more often than not the RG denotes a lead guitar player who uses big amps and distortion. It may be unfair and inaccurate to say that to an Ibanez fan, but that's the overwhelming perception I got when I was not an Ibanez user.

Also in the 80's you had other hard rock guitars built to shred from ground up like the RG, namely the Jackson/Charvel superstrats, Washburn Nuno, Valley Arts superstrat, Carvin, and BC Rich but Ibanez RG always seemed to be out there more when it came to those diatonic notes being played everywhere.
Hey man, it's nice to hear that you finally got a proper RG into your hands. I agree that, in the beginning, the RG was the perfect marriage between the strat and LP in general, but there were so many other specs that the RG had at a time that no other manufacturer was doing the same. Sure, each option on it's own could be found elsewhere but Only the RG had it all in one package. Another reason the RG made such a huge impact was that it offered the most "bang for your buck" at a time that Jacksons we getting hugely expensive along with Hamer, Kramer, Dean, and all the other USA brands. I remember looking at an RG570 back in '88 or so and it was priced almost $300 less than a comparable Kramer Baretta or Nightswan. Even the RG760 was less. When I finally had enough money saved up in late '89 I went for the RG770....... I got one of the first to have come out in april or may of '90. It's been all downhill since then.....
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 06:26 AM

My RG560 is a 1990. The bridge bucker was changed out and I didn't know what it was, and had the two S1s. Didn't like em that much so I made my poor mans AT100 (Dimarzio AT1, 2 cruisers). I like this guitar for what it is, but sometimes it can be a bit hard to play due to just how thin the neck is. Still not used to it

I will say this though, it resonates amazingly and is in near perfect shape. Frets are a little worn down though. I paid about the same price as you did for your beat up one.

What color is your 560?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
My RG560 is a 1990. The bridge bucker was changed out and I didn't know what it was, and had the two S1s. Didn't like em that much so I made my poor mans AT100 (Dimarzio AT1, 2 cruisers). I like this guitar for what it is, but sometimes it can be a bit hard to play due to just how thin the neck is. Still not used to it

I will say this though, it resonates amazingly and is in near perfect shape. Frets are a little worn down though. I paid about the same price as you did for your beat up one.

What color is your 560?
he he

Still didn't get it yet but it's black and I love that color on any guitar.

Just as I am playing it, this guy I know who does this for a living (Pablo Cruise) comes in and plays it and tears it up. Oddly, he takes an Indo RG off the wall and says he prefers that more than the MIJ 560 I am playing. The Indo is HSH and the former tech of the music store knows how to take a standard HSH RG and make that 5 way switch get better options so my friend told me about how his Jem and Indo RG got set up this way. I think you can do some parallel-series things and do the back pickup and neck pickup only, but coil split on both for that tele tone.

Yes, that neck is on the cheaper Indo is very nice, too but it has the Edge Zero II trem. His number one is a MIJ Jem with an Indo Premium RG as his back up guitar. But he had the seafoam green Indo Jem and said that wasn't for him and now uses the Premium 900 series RG in its place.

For some reason he likes all the Ibanez trems equally well and usually plays with the arm off the tremolo anyway. I wouldn't care what trem I had either if I could play like him.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 04-25-2015 at 12:09 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
he he

Still didn't get it yet but it's black and I love that color on any guitar.

Just as I am playing it, this guy I know who does this for a living (Pablo Cruise) comes in and plays it and tears it up. Oddly, he takes an Indo RG off the wall and says he prefers that more than the MIJ 560 I am playing. The Indo is HSH and the former tech of the music store knows how to take a standard HSH RG and make that 5 way switch get better options so my friend told me about how his Jem and Indo RG got set up this way. I think you can do some parallel-series things and do the back pickup and neck pickup only, but coil split on both for that tele tone.

Yes, that neck is on the cheaper Indo is very nice, too but it has the Edge Zero II trem. His number one is a MIJ Jem with an Indo Premium RG as his back up guitar. But he had the seafoam green Indo Jem and said that wasn't for him and now uses the Premium 900 series RG in its place.

For some reason he likes all the Ibanez trems equally well and usually plays with the arm off the tremolo anyway. I wouldn't care what trem I had either if I could play like him.
I could probably get the same tonal varieties because the Cruisers are the blade-magnet type single sized hubuckers. They just have that strat twang to them because Andy Timmons likes having that twang for his solos.

I want to do some crazy wiring myself, just to try different things and splitting coils in series sounds REALLY cool

Go get that 560, I KNOW you'll be happy with it
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 08:37 PM

Rectifiers take a little bit of getting used to, but they're absolutely awesome sounding amps once you get them dialed in. I generally play on Vintage or Modern of the 2nd on a 3-channel or 3rd on a 4, gain around 2 o'clock, bass most of the way off, presence low, mids maybe 2-3 o'clock, treble around noon. It sounds like it shouldn't make any sense, until you consider that the knobs have to cover three WILDLY different "channels"with totally different responses.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Rectifiers take a little bit of getting used to, but they're absolutely awesome sounding amps once you get them dialed in. I generally play on Vintage or Modern of the 2nd on a 3-channel or 3rd on a 4, gain around 2 o'clock, bass most of the way off, presence low, mids maybe 2-3 o'clock, treble around noon. It sounds like it shouldn't make any sense, until you consider that the knobs have to cover three WILDLY different "channels"with totally different responses.
If I get a chance to try out that pair again, I will try exactly that as you suggest.

Knowing only the Marshalls when it comes to big amps I put on a "heavy metal" setting on the Boogie and no matter how much distortion I got, there was almost like a ghost channel there with a very clean, midrangey clean tone in there, too. It was going through a single 4x12 cabinet but it sounded like a distorted cabinet paired with a cabinet playing the notes totally clean. It was almost stereo sounding. The Mesa heavy metal setting was a small switch that had "metal" or "heavy metal" on one side of the switch and "blues" on the other side. I don't see it on most current Dual Rectifier but on this older one, it was there.

When I fooled with the confusing Mesa Boogie panel I somehow made the traditional single coil pickup on Ibanez sound like a fat humbucker with just a hint of a strat type tone. It was really amazing, almost like it was a dual blade single coil like the hot rails, but only cleaner. I don't think it's the pickup but something with the amp. I know it's the type of deal where I would get what I want if I had hours to fool with it and certainly not as straightfoward as JCM 800 with clean and distortion footswitch and no reverb.

Close up the Boogie didn't sound good with a distortion tone and a clean tone, but I take it 20 feet away if played live that underlying clean tone on metal setting makes individual notes cut through the mix. I like Kirk Hammet's clean sounding leads and I used to attribute that to the EMG 81 cutting through like a knife but maybe it's the Dual Rectifier he uses more than even those active EMGs.

I know a Marshall can sound nice, warm and saturated on stage, and maybe get a sound that's pleasing to me right there, but often this leads to a super muddy tone in audience and it's just a bunch of loud mush. So I try to make the Marshall sound cleaner than I can stand because I know that translates into less mush out in the audience. Without soundguy, you have to kind of guess and there's nothing worse than that amateur tone many a clueless guitarist gets with too much mush, effects, and lack of clarity. I am sure I played many a gig like that at first but I always ask for honest opinions and learned early on that a good bit of clean helps with the mix as does a good midrange. It's very rare that a good tone to one's ears onstage translates to a good tone out in audience and thus the use of earbuds. And even then, some players only use form fitted to ear units and that too can make a big difference. I like the idea of playing live but having the actual sound of what it would be like in the audience piped into the ear buds.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 04-25-2015 at 11:33 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I've got a banged up 87 RG560. The neck has warped following a long period with no strings on it and so the action is sky high. That said the thing sounds awesome and I think it would be my rhythm guitar of choice if I was going to re-record Van Halen's early albums for him

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode