Praise for Indonesian RG321 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Praise for Indonesian RG321

Hi there,

Just wanted to share my 6+ months of experience with an indonesian made RG321 (weathered black), made ine 2008 according to the s/n.

Long story short : I have an 77FP, a DNA, a UV777BK, a Les Paul, a strat ... but was looking for a long time into a hardtail workhorse I could use to practice in front of the TV, play without too much consideration for nicks and dings, and drag around on vacation.

I spotted this RG321 in a music-store nearby and the first thing that struck me was the fretwork : very good indeed. Nicely polished, very even, and well rounded, no sharp edges whatsoever. That was the first surprise. Second surprise were the pickups. I personnally dig the INF3 and INF4 on them VERY much ! The five way switch on the HH configuration allows for alot of (to my ears) very cool sounding tones, both clean and distorted. Third nice suprise for me : I actually dig the Wizard II neck very much, because I like them a tad thicker and chunkier than regular Wizards and it is also a tad wider than my FP's neck, which I also like.

So I did pick it up, and obviously had to go through the "routines" big stores never do : changing the strings to 10-46s, properly sretched, adjusting intonation, tightening the contact points (yes, some of them were loose, especially on the tuning pegs, but once tightened it holds with no problem) etc ... but plays like a dream and has hold up for a little more than six months now.

The only thing "negative" I could see up to now is aging of the hardware on the bridge wher my palm rests, but I guess this would be inevitable and doesn't affect playability. I also like the black weathered look of the guitar and surprisingly it doesn't mark or dent easily at all.

I did have Korean guitars, including a JS100, and I must say this indonesian crafted guitar is better in finish, fretwork and overall attention to built quality. For now, I don't even envision changing the pickups, I realy dig the INF3 and INF4 in there with the five way switch.

Ooh, and best part : 220 euros, and surely much cheaper for those of you in the U.S ...

So if you are looking for a cheap hardtail with a VERY good quality to price ratio, give it a try. And kudos to the Indonesian factory for putting out a 200$ guitar of this quality

(PS : obvisouly I am NOT saying or even trying to compare the quality of this guitar to >2k Ibanezes such as my JEMs for example, but keeping in mind it's +/- 220$, the quality/price ratio seems hard to beat for me ...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 10:39 AM

Re: Praise for Indonesian RG321

I bet this thread is gonna be controversial because there are a lot of people out there who scorn Indo Iby's. I think it's great that you got a good 'un mate so congrats on that score. I have an Indo made RGR420ex (RAR) that was actually used by Ibanez UK as their demo model at music fairs etc. I was lucky enough to be able to buy it, for a discount too, and they had it set up to perfection. Whether it was off the shelf or actually professionally set up I don't know but it plays like a dream. I've owned and do own J Customs, JEM7 BSB, Caparisons etc and this guitar for playability is on a par with them. However I don't like the Edge III trem which is the only thing.

Have you got any pics of the guitar chlamy? Post some if you can dude. Thanx.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Vendor

I've been saying since the move, the MII's are better than the MIK's were, period. The problem with the MII's is in consmetic issues. You find way more on the MII's, but playability issues, they're better, and better finished. [except this 321 I just rejected for typical neck pocket alignment]
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 12:46 PM

I had a couple of those 321s and they are great guitars for they cost. I swapped out the pups, but that was it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 12:48 PM

Reviews: 21

I'm Jonesing for an RG321MOL or an RG7321. I think there are more quality problems on Indy guitars with trems; and even then they aren't so bad. I don't think you can go wrong with a MII fixed bridge. It would be cool to see a Prestige-level hardtail, though.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I'm Jonesing for an RG321MOL or an RG7321. I think there are more quality problems on Indy guitars with trems; and even then they aren't so bad. I don't think you can go wrong with a MII fixed bridge. It would be cool to see a Prestige-level hardtail, though.
The prestige FR1620BK is a prestige hardtail :

http://www.thomann.de/fr/ibanez_fr1620bk.htm

It is awesome, I tried it the other day in-store, but the pricetag is accordingly in the 1k euro range compared to 220 Off course, if I win the lottery, I'd get one of those FR1620

Here are some pics of my RG321 :

http://img188.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img0369o.jpg

I am sure it's not perfect, but I am not as picky as you Rich at least the neck seems to fit very neatly and tightly in the pocket and if there is some misalignement, I don't notice it !

Cheers
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 04:16 PM

The guitar looks great chalmy! Seems to have an incredibly low action as well. Very nice.

Last edited by IbanezDaemon; 05-25-2009 at 05:25 PM.

Tags
cheap , hardtail , indonesian , rg321

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode