Pre Lawsuit era LP copy - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Pre Lawsuit era LP copy

So I got my hands on a '74 LP copy in black today...
I have to say after checking it out, it was a turd.
The thing was chipped up, which I can handle, but then the neck was separating from the fretboard and the nut was trashed as well. These are age and wear issues, not a fit and finish problem. The fit and finish, though,m was awful too. The neck pocket had a good 2-4 mm gap on one side which made the neck rock and shift in the pocket, the nut up at the top wasn't mated properly with the fretboard, that could have been the owner's doing, or actual production.

My question is this, does anyone own one to verify that the quality was poop on these, or are they better than the 'specimen' I checked out today?

I was willing to drop up to 500 if it was nice, but after checking out an ESP Eclipse 2 yesterday, and the build quality was SO much nicer than this thing, I'm really considering an ESP or Edwards Relic now.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 06:31 PM

Re: Pre Lawsuit era LP copy

you should know better that you can not compare these 2 in any way. on the other hand you will probably not get a decent cond. eclipse or edwards for 500
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 06:45 PM

There was a huge argument about these a little while back. Apparently they have a very large degree of quality, some are crap, like this one, and some with knock the socks off you.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 06:58 PM

So it's like anything else. There's good ones and there's garbage. Oh and they were better than everything Gibson was making 100% of the time thats why they were sued, not because of copyright infringement. Maybe yours was a real Gibson that was mislabeled Ibanez to try to bring in more money.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

The one thing I noticed was that the Eclipse and Edwards LP have the same "distressed" marks which are CNC'ed I'm told. If the Edwards is the same as the Eclipse, I think I''ll be happy with the purchase. I'm eyeballing em on the bay right now., nice stuff. Can't believe I'm considering a relic'ed guitar, but at the same time, it just feels right. It felt broken in.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 10:57 PM

pics?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

ESP Eclipse 2 Relic

Edwards LP Relic in HB
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm View Post

Edwards LP Relic in HB

Isnt that their "Jimmy Page" model?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

it wasn't listed as such.
Quote:
ELP-112LTS/RE
The super real series which isn't appearing in a catalogue
I got the gas, pappa...
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 10:08 AM

No it wouldnt be, Im sure he's under contract with Gibson. I think its their unofficial JP model. Im guessing people call it that because of the chrome covered neck and exposed coil bridge pickups. I dont know that it has teh JP wiring
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

I did some digging and found it referred to on TGP and on a few other siites as a JP Relic.
Very well may be.
You liked your Edwards, right, Cid?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 11:16 AM

Yeah man, it was a great guitar. Not much cheaper than its Gibson counterpart, but it was a solid guitar. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another. While searching for the JP Relic, I did come across something I thought was interesting if you are looking for a Japanese made LP. The Orville guitars are cheaper versions of Orville By Gibson, and there is a third Orville that doesnt have a serial number and they are Korean and garbage. I know you are looking at ESP and Edwards but just sending out some information on other models you might be considering. Im still thinking about picking up the Edwards SRV strat one day.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 04:37 PM

I'm an ESP guy, as you can see by my name, so I'd have to cast my vote for you to get an Eclipse, but 500 isn't gonna get you very far. I don't really have any experience with Edwards though, so I really can't compare the two, but I do know about the Ibanez LP copy. My friend owns one, and I've used it many times. The construction isn't as nice as an Eclipse, but the Ibanez neck is a little easier to manouver. What year Eclipse were you thinking of? Or are you thinking of a new one?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdviper400 View Post
I'm an ESP guy, as you can see by my name, so I'd have to cast my vote for you to get an Eclipse,

You can be an ESP guy and still vote Edwards, its the same company.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 05:14 PM

Haha, true, but I'm just suggesting that I prefer ESP guitars over most brands.

Tags
ibanez lawsuit copy , les paul , srv strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode