Preference: RG570 vs RG550 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Preference: RG570 vs RG550

I'm just curious what people's feelings are between an RG550 or RG570. I have a soft spot for the 570 because it was my first Ibanez, and it was perfect in every way. Last year I bought an RG550XX, which I also love, but I sometimes feel like my 570 sounded better. It is hard for me to say, since I haven't had my old 570 in many years, so I can't actually compare them. My understanding was, pretty much the only difference between the 550 and the 570 was the 570 had body mounted pickups, and the 550 had the pick guard mounted pickups.

Is there any significant difference aside from that between the 2? Is my recollection of better sound mostly due to severe nostalgia? Given the choice, which would YOU prefer to own?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Preference: RG570 vs RG550

I've got a white 550, white 560 and white 570. The 550 has the best feel, particularly under the right hand, I prefer the playing position there with a scratch plate. Sound wise mine have very different pickups in them, the 570 sounds awesome with the stock pickups through a cheap practice amp, but my 550 with Evos sounds better through a good valve amp.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 06:33 PM

Nostalgia. The original 550 vs. 570 are basically the same guitar...biggest difference is maple vs. rosewood board and of course pickguard vs no pickguard, but that is more of an aesthetic thing IMO. The maple board seems to be more desirable so you will see that reflected in the price when looking at used ones, but that doesn't make it "better", just a preference.

Since you have a reissue it's worth mentioning even though it was built to original specs the reissue has a 5 piece neck that has two steel rods for reinforcement, as opposed to the original wizard was 1 piece.

If you really prefer the 570 sell the 550 reissue and depending on the color you have you could end up with a few hundred dollars in your pocket when you're done
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwsusi View Post
Nostalgia. The original 550 vs. 570 are basically the same guitar...biggest difference is maple vs. rosewood board and of course pickguard vs no pickguard, but that is more of an aesthetic thing IMO. The maple board seems to be more desirable so you will see that reflected in the price when looking at used ones, but that doesn't make it "better", just a preference.

Since you have a reissue it's worth mentioning even though it was built to original specs the reissue has a 5 piece neck that has two steel rods for reinforcement, as opposed to the original wizard was 1 piece.

If you really prefer the 570 sell the 550 reissue and depending on the color you have you could end up with a few hundred dollars in your pocket when you're done
I'm not selling my 20th. It is only the black one, but I still absolutely love the thing. The correct answer is, I need to buy a 570 to compliment the 550

The only thing I don't like about the 550/570, is I would actually prefer to just have HH and remove the single coil. I got a really good deal on my 20th though, so I wasn't about to pass it up. Just gives me another excuse to get another guitar
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 09:55 AM

Another nice thing with a pickguard (and Andy timmons does this) is put the middle single all the way down and just ignore it It's not like you NEED an HH guitar if you don't use the middle single you can just drop it all the way down to be level with the pickguard and you're all set

I had a 550, and I currently have a RGR580, an RG560, and an RG685 (the 580 and 685 are similar to the 570 in that they are direct mount pickups). I can honestly say that I love them all even though they don't have pickguards, but the 685 is kinda the lone axe out so I need to sell it
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Another nice thing with a pickguard (and Andy timmons does this) is put the middle single all the way down and just ignore it It's not like you NEED an HH guitar if you don't use the middle single you can just drop it all the way down to be level with the pickguard and you're all set

I had a 550, and I currently have a RGR580, an RG560, and an RG685 (the 580 and 685 are similar to the 570 in that they are direct mount pickups). I can honestly say that I love them all even though they don't have pickguards, but the 685 is kinda the lone axe out so I need to sell it
Maybe my 550 has an issue, because I can't lower the single coil all the way. It goes about halfway down, then the screws start coming up instead of the pickup going down. I know that the pickups are not stock. When I bought it, the guy included a wiring diagram. Maybe he jacked it up when he put in the new pickups.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarict View Post
I'm not selling my 20th. It is only the black one, but I still absolutely love the thing. The correct answer is, I need to buy a 570 to compliment the 550

The only thing I don't like about the 550/570, is I would actually prefer to just have HH and remove the single coil. I got a really good deal on my 20th though, so I wasn't about to pass it up. Just gives me another excuse to get another guitar
I'm gunning for a 550 anniversary myself. Found a 2013 550 in red at a really good local guitar shop where I bought my new PGM401 which I absolutely love! The 2013 isn't an anniversary model per se but, it's as close as I can get to one since I don't know anyone willing to sell theirs...
Quick question: aren't the 2013 models in that range part of the Genesis Collection?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Maybe my 550 has an issue, because I can't lower the single coil all the way. It goes about halfway down, then the screws start coming up instead of the pickup going down. I know that the pickups are not stock. When I bought it, the guy included a wiring diagram. Maybe he jacked it up when he put in the new pickups.
What pickup is in the middle? Maybe it has more depth or longer poles vs. the original S1 and is hitting the base.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I had that same thing happen with my 550. The previous owner, even though the guitar has a pickguard, made it so the bridge and neck pups couldn't be adjusted. That was so aggravating.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode