Premium line - flaws in the finish? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Premium line - flaws in the finish?

Hi,

I just got a Premium 7-string, and I'm not to happy about the craftsmanship of the finish.
It has little spots where the red color is not covering well, and where you see the original color of the top-veneer. Admitted these spots are very small, but since they are on the top, still annoying.
Now I'm in doubt whether or not to return the guitar. With a Prestige I would definitely not accept minor flaws like this, so I was wondering if little imperfections like spots on the finish are considered standard with the Premium line? If so, then I think they are too expensive for what they are.

Have any of you who have Premiums (or seen them in person) had any similar spots, or is the one I got an exception? If the latter is the case it would be worth returning it an getting another one, but if not, I might just get another one that has the same thing just on a different spot.

Thanks,
Lars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 04:45 AM

Reviews: 20
Re: Premium line - flaws in the finish?

Hi, do you have any pics of it?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowie8889 View Post
Hi, do you have any pics?
I have a pic here:

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/4871/img0003qbr.jpg

On the pic it looks like it's reflection of the light, but it's not. I marked the two spots with arrows. On those spots the natural color of the top is seen, as it is not covered by the red color.
I know the spots are very small, but still a flaw, no?
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 06:47 AM

Reviews: 13

If you're not happy you should take it back.

-Wolfram
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
If you're not happy you should take it back.

-Wolfram
Thanks!

Yeah, that's what I think, too, but I don't know if little spots like these are "normal" on the Premiums, that's why I wanted to ask if some people on here who had played/seen Premiums had seen similar spots.
It only makes sense to return the guitar if I know I can get one without these kinds of flaws.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 07:19 AM

Reviews: 21

I saw a red 920 with what looked like red spots or bleed-through (???) where the veneer meets the body binding. It wasn't bad enough that it would have dissuaded me from buying it (if I indeed wanted to buy it) but it does look like the finish of the body is one of the weak points of the line. If I were buying a Premium I'd probably wait for a good solid color anyway like the laser blue that isn't available in the US. I'm wondering if this problem is only on their quilts and if solid colors are okay.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Vendor

No, that is not normal. I'd reject it if it bothers you, but, the replacement might have other cosmetic issues. Cosmetic flaws is still the weakest point on these.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 03:33 PM

I own a quilted maple rg920 in blue and it doesn't have any spots like yours, so I guess u just weren't lucky! I think u should return it and ask for another one
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtallica View Post
I own a quilted maple rg920 in blue and it doesn't have any spots like yours, so I guess u just weren't lucky! I think u should return it and ask for another one
Thanks for your input.

I'm still not decided on what to do, but I have to admit, however nit-picky this may be, this tiny cosmetic flaw does bother me.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 05:08 AM

I think that can be touched up easily, though, the principle behind it would be to return and replace.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 12:23 PM

Reviews: 1

Took me years to find them in my first ibby. I could care less what the paint looks.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

I played the guitar last night for about 30-45 mins and I have to say it sounds nice and it feels/plays great. If I decide to keep it I may lower the action a bit, it's a tad on the high side, but I don't mind so much, since I prefer the action to be kind of medium.
The fretwork on it is really awesome.
Now I don't know how a replacement guitar would feel and play. The one thing I am worried about when retuning it is that the replacement guitar may either have just different cosmetic flaws or may have none but then may not play and feel as great as the on I have now.
I have no idea how consistent the production of these is and if all of these will play and feel about the same.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 04:04 AM

Reviews: 20

I used to cover small dings/scratches on the side of my guitar with a marker, it works really well. Some red marker would make that flaw almost invisible!

Last edited by bowie8889; 10-18-2011 at 04:14 AM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowie8889 View Post
I used to cover small dings/scratches on the side of my guitar with a marker, it works really well. Some red marker would make that flaw almost invisible!
Thanks.
These spots on my guitar are not even dents, the clearcoat on top of these spots is perfectly even, I guess these spots just did not get sprayed with the red color properly in the coloring process.

Tags
finish quality , ibanez premium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode