Premium..not a fan, are Prestiges that much better? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Premium..not a fan, are Prestiges that much better?

Hey guys, let me preface this thread by saying that I got into Ibanez guitars back in the late 90s with an RG520 and RG7620 that I LOVED!! Played these guitars for about 12 years until I sold them to go to the JP BFRs that I've been playing the last couple years. Well, I got an Ibby itch again and really missed them! Anyways, I took a plunge on a Premium 920 in cobalt blue and while the familiarity and comfort that I so dearly missed from my Ibby playing days was there, the quality of this guitar is seriously lacking. Now, I know there's quite the difference between a MM and MII Ibanez. And I'm fine with that. If a guitar is built well and sounds good than whether it's expensive or on the lower end doesn't matter. My 7620 was one of the BEST guitars I ever played and it cost me well under $1k brand new.

So anyways...the Premium looks great visually, I was pleasantly suprised by the pickups. They are low to medium output but they were fairly decent (I would have still replaced them though) and the Bridge was excellent (man I miss floyd style trems). I don't care what people say about the JP MM bridge, yes it is a great bridge but it cannot do what a Floyd can and stay in tune as well. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. Haha!

The problems all centered around the neck/frets/fingerboard. First off, if you look down the neck the fretwork is not very well done. There are a lot of inconsistencies. The maple neck feels cheap and I really don't think it's a rosewood fingerboard on there. It seriously looks like it's all maple and they painted it to look like it's rosewood. I'm dead serious here. Not too mention that after a half hour of playing my fingers were black. I used an EB wonder wipe fret cleaner and tried again. Fingers turned black again. I took the strings off and did a full cleaning with dunlop 65 fretboard conditioner/cleaner kit (twice!), put brand new D'addario strings back on, and my fingers turned black again. Not sure what is going on there, but if it is rosewood, it's a cheap rosewood. This guitar has potential but there are just parts that are cheap. I'd probably be ripping it further if it weren't for the fact that I was getting nostalgic playing an Ibanez again. The quality of my 7620 was much better than this.

So my question now is....is the prestige line better? Please tell me so!! I was going to go for the 1527 for a new 7 (replace p/ups) and was thinking either the 1570 or 1420 for a 6. Again, the guitar doesn't have to be on par with MM or Suhr, or something like that, just a quality guitar that doesn't feel like corners were cut somewhere. Thoughts?

-Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 01:56 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Premium..not a fan, are Prestiges that much better?

I'm actually surprised at the problems your having with your 920. I'm also convinced that you got the one "lemon" in the apple basket....LOL. Every review I've seen and my own experience tell me that the new premiums neck is it's shining feature!!

I would suggest that you try to find another one to play/inspect and see if it's better than yours....If so, exchange yours IMMEDIATELY!!!!!

Your neck SHOULD be every bit as nice as a "prestige"
post #3 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:19 PM

Of course they are better,but the prices reflect that.
Low end prestige is still better than premium just not as visually pretty,high end prestige and J custom,not even touchable by the premium.

You get what you pay for and MIJ will always be superior to MII.
post #4 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:29 PM

Reviews: 11

I played some new 2000 series prestiges the other week... I was less then motivated when I picked them up.... they "felt" better then normal ibanez guitars, but not enough so to warrant the price tag.
post #5 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 07:02 PM

I had the Premium for about 4 days. I was so used the my 1570 that it never felt right. Mine had a killer neck but unfortunately the it was killing my thumb. I traded it for another Prestige and I couldn't be happier. To me it was like dating that hot model that treats you like crap. She was sexy but what a b****. Sooo.....yes the Prestige feels as good as the Premium looks.
post #6 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 07:12 PM

I still say for near the same price or even less, find a 3120. Real maple top, better stock pups and depending on the year, a Lo Pro or an Edge Pro.
post #7 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I like my 920 almost as much as my vintage 550s and 570s. You got a lemon! Mine is sweet, frets are awesome with ball ends, and the board is certainly rosewood.

post #8 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, it is going back and an RG1420 is coming in it's place. I think I'll be much happier. My best friend from high school bought a 3120 in 99' and yes that guitar was sweeeeet, I was so jealous at the time! He still has it and I may bug him again to sell it to me, hahaha!

-Eric
post #9 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 11:29 PM

"........doesnt have to be on par with MM....."

i firmly believe that my rg1527 kills the JP7 in any way and ill fight anyone who says otherwise to the death

that statement was half serious.

but get an rg1527 (with an edge pro if you really miss floyds) for your 7 and an rg1420 for your 6. to be honest, why not just get a used 7620? you can find them for ~$400 everywhere. and at that price you can but 2 for the price of 1 1527
post #10 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Haha, I'm with ya 1527, they really are 2 different beasts though and that's why I miss Ibanez. I miss the Jumbo frets, the Floyd style bridge and I could go on, haha!

But seriously, does anyone know why on earth my fingers would still be turning black playing that prestige?? How could the fretboard be THAT dirty, that ever happen to anyone on any other guitar? It had never happened to me before.

-Eric
post #11 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 12:02 AM

never had it happen before. im as stumped as you
post #12 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 12:20 AM

You cant make maple look like rosewood. Also, I've seen enough HD photos of them to know they arent "cheap rosewood". The fingers turning black? did you change your strings yet? Even stained wood wont turn your fingers black...

rusty strings may make your fingers black, thats about it.
post #13 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 12:28 AM

This may be totally unrelated, but my cousin can "write" on her skin with gold. Anywhere she rubs the gold her turns skin black for a day or so. It's pretty freaky to watch. Otherwise that would have to be a super dirty a** set of strings. I know there isn't any gold on a Prestige neck but I'm just saying....
post #14 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 05:11 AM

Reviews: 120

I got black fingers from playing my 20th Ann RG550 when I first got it. Go the D'Addarios off and all was better.
LonePhantom is online  
post #15 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 06:43 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
I got black fingers from playing my 20th Ann RG550 when I first got it. Go the D'Addarios off and all was better.
Yup! I got the same thing for my 20th as did a lot of people. I thought Ibanez would have figured this out and fixed it. It's probably nothing but having black show up on your fingers after playing can send the uninitiated back to the store, Premium in tow, to switch out for another guitar. The black goes away and doesn't have much bearing on the quality of the instrument.
mike570 is online  

Tags
920 , ibanez , premium , prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode