Premium vs. Prestige? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Premium vs. Prestige?

Hey guys,
I almost made up my mind to purchase the RG927QMZ Premium, but after reading a lot of forums and YouTube vids, Im in a dilemma whether to go ahead with an Indonesian or a Japanese manufactured guitar. Keeping in mind the budget I have, the premium sounds like a decent bet.

Is it advisable to invest in MII RG927QMZ considering the price tag on it or spend more and buy a prestige? People speak both good and bad about the guitars which are manufactured in Indonesia (MII), especially the finishing, playability, tonality and the even the pups. At the same time some really praise them a lot saying its absolute worth for money in all respects. I read somewhere, the quality of these guitars was average when Ibanez set up factory there but of late the quality has gone up enormously.

I have a JS 1200 (MIJ) and is a brilliant guitar (also the price I paid for it)!! I know the Japs are very thorough with the Q.C. Hence they are more expensive and better quality.

Please shed some light on it.

Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 05:40 AM

Re: Premium vs. Prestige?

From my experience with premiums its really a luck of the draw. I have had a few with dodgy frets and just overall dodgy fitment. Even my current "good" premium has a somewhat misaligned neck which would require some form of shaving in the joint to full get straight.

In contrast I have never had any of these issues with any Prestige I have had. This is why I am somewhat skeptical about the premiums as in a lot of cases there just as or more expensive then a prestige.

If I were you I would spend a little extra a get a nice Prestige 7 String. It maybe just me but I don't really like the one you are looking at, it' is a bit 'meh', but I don't like red guitars

Personally I would only ever own Prestige Ibanez guitars but for the fact that I like the neck shapes much much better on the premiums and cheaper RG's (wizard III shapes). But in terms of what you get for the money, really imo there is no beating a prestige.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 05:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringTheory View Post
Hey guys,
I almost made up my mind to purchase the RG927QMZ Premium, but after reading a lot of forums and YouTube vids, I’m in a dilemma whether to go ahead with an Indonesian or a Japanese manufactured guitar. Keeping in mind the budget I have, the premium sounds like a decent bet.

Is it advisable to invest in MII RG927QMZ considering the price tag on it or spend more and buy a prestige? People speak both good and bad about the guitars which are manufactured in Indonesia (MII), especially the finishing, playability, tonality and the even the pups. At the same time some really praise them a lot saying its absolute worth for money in all respects. I read somewhere, the quality of these guitars was average when Ibanez set up factory there but of late the quality has gone up enormously.

I have a JS 1200 (MIJ) and is a brilliant guitar (also the price I paid for it)!! I know the Japs are very thorough with the Q.C. Hence they are more expensive and better quality.

Please shed some light on it.

Many thanks.
If you want the premium I would be glad to give you a list of things to check :

1) string alignment, a little off (e.g. 0.05->0.1mm) is no problem. Measure with a filler gauge the clearance on both sides. Write down the numbers
2) neck stability : check that the neck does not move relative to the body when going from full dive to full pull up
3) nut height. Fret the 2nd fret on each string. It should almost touch the 1st fret
4) nut stability : nut should not move under heavy trem usage
5) pups should not be angled/slanted but parallel to the body
6) raise the action to "silly low" as per Rich's ibanezrules.com site and play every single fret for buzzes, there should be minimal
7) play the guitar under high gain and check the sustain all over the fretboard and strings

ppl feel free to add your checks to the list

also 86boy, if you get this guitar, you most probably would want to change the saddle intonation screws right away : they might be not so good. But this is an easy fix. Also bar in mind that it will take time till you learn all the tricks of the EZ ii-7 ZPS trem!
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the advice
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 12:16 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsixboy View Post
Personally I would only ever own Prestige Ibanez guitars but for the fact that I like the neck shapes much much better on the premiums and cheaper RG's (wizard III shapes). But in terms of what you get for the money, really imo there is no beating a prestige.
agreed - I have 3 Prestige Ibanez guitars and they are worth the extra money
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys,
After much research and contemplation, I finally bought the EBMM JP7 (the super cool Mystic Dream color).
Though it cost me a bomb, the over all feel and tonality is beyond words.
Thanks a lot to all of you for guiding me in the right direction.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 05:36 AM

I've owned a fair bit of prestiges and a couple of premiums...and I must say that the money you pay for a NEW premium does not hold up against the quality of the instrument. More often then not the fretwork of irky, and the wood they use is quite bland, where as that from the japanse factories often tends to sing and resonate. I would 100 times sooner buy a used prestige, then a new premium... but yeah, those are my 2 eurocents
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchelonXIII View Post
I've owned a fair bit of prestiges and a couple of premiums...and I must say that the money you pay for a NEW premium does not hold up against the quality of the instrument. More often then not the fretwork of irky, and the wood they use is quite bland, where as that from the japanse factories often tends to sing and resonate. I would 100 times sooner buy a used prestige, then a new premium... but yeah, those are my 2 eurocents
Hey man,
Thank you for your advice.
I ended up investing in a Music Man JP7 (Mystic Dream). Its definitely one of the most amazing pieces of craftsmanship.
Pls Check out my youtube link as and when you can -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPVA2MxzBfQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mog5zzvMquY
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringTheory View Post
Hey man,
Thank you for your advice.
I ended up investing in a Music Man JP7 (Mystic Dream). Its definitely one of the most amazing pieces of craftsmanship.
Pls Check out my youtube link as and when you can -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPVA2MxzBfQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mog5zzvMquY
Great sound. Those are wonderful guitars.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchelonXIII View Post
Which is exactly why I wouldn't buy another Premium either. Of all the premiums that I have had, they have all had QC issues, some worse then others. The fact you can buy a Prestige brand new for less then some of the Premiums really says how screwed up their pricing is. Still can't get over the price of the new Premium Jems and Universe, way more expensive then a similar Prestige is just crazy.
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 07:38 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsixboy View Post
Which is exactly why I wouldn't buy another Premium either. Of all the premiums that I have had, they have all had QC issues, some worse then others. The fact you can buy a Prestige brand new for less then some of the Premiums really says how screwed up their pricing is. Still can't get over the price of the new Premium Jems and Universe, way more expensive then a similar Prestige is just crazy.
Please compare the price of a VWH to any RG Prestige.

Signature - regular production.
Apples - naval lint.
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Please compare the price of a VWH to any RG Prestige.

Signature - regular production.
Apples - naval lint.
I'm not comparing MIJ Jem to a Prestige, not sure if you miss read my post.

I am comparing the over priced MII wanna-be JEM and it being price way way above a similarly spec'd Prestige. Its not like the Premium Jems are even remotely as good as the real deal.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 09:35 PM
Vendor

I know exactly what you were comparing, now compare what I asked.

VWH - $4000
RG655 - $1600

Trying to compare a signature model with royalties paid, very high development costs, and built in fan base of buyers to anything else,
Apples - naval lint.
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I know exactly what you were comparing, now compare what I asked.

VWH - $4000
RG655 - $1600

Trying to compare a signature model with royalties paid, very high development costs, and built in fan base of buyers to anything else,
Apples - naval lint.
But the same quality levels per price don't apply to a premium. A VWH is close to a J Custom imo, and a RG655 is bottom of the line prestige.

At least with a proper MIJ Jem you are getting a much better guitar over a normal prestige RG, regardless of royalties paid. The same can't be said for the Premium line.

The Premium Jem is basically just normal Premium RG quality with royalties attached, yet the price is much more, and your not getting that added quality like comparing what you have mentioned VWH - RG655.

Hence why I said may as well buy a Prestige RG2550 or similar for much less then a Premium Jem and get a properly built guitar.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 10:09 PM
Vendor

Absolutely false. The VWH and the 655 are virtually identical. A higher level builder built the JEM, but you can put them side by side and you tell me what's higher quality, please. Same exact hardware, both Dimarzio's, besides the grip, claw, and angled jack, they have virtually the same spec.

JEM70SFG - $2000
RG950QM - $1408

Please tell me where your argument is.

Tags
7 string , dimarzio / ibz pickups , premium , premium rg927qm , prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode