Premiums Look very familar to Jcustoms - what gives? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Premiums Look very familar to Jcustoms - what gives?

I've seen that this part of the forum is now filled with Iby Premium threads. But I just saw the new 7 string premiums and they 'look' exactly like my 2010 JCRG8527z.

Has anyone played both the premiums and the jcustom 7's and had a chance to compare them?

I know the premiums come with a veneer top and basswood body - but the dimesions appear to be the same as the Jcustom ...

If they're close to the quality then damn - they'd be definitely worth getting for under a grande.

Last edited by Trickae; 10-05-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 12:28 AM

Reviews: 4
Re: Premiums Look very familar to Jcustoms - what gives?

Yes, It is a very good value. If I wanted something like the current crop of JCs, |I would start at the Premiums. The exception would be the old more unique JCs, like the egypt
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 05:37 AM

Reviews: 13
Have a look at a premium up close. You can tell the difference in the quality of the finish. Not that they are a rubbish guitar at all either by the way. I cannot comment on the sound as I have not physically played one as yet, however you would have to make an assumption that there would / should be an improved quality of sound in the JC through improved attention to detail in the wiring build and pickup quality.

-Wolfram
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 08:09 AM

great playing guitars, just not into the pickups...
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 09:14 AM

They are a poor mans J custom,good value,... but a long long way from being as good as a real J custom.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

pickups can be swapped out.

My RG has Dimarzio CL/LF combo but my Jcustom rocks Bareknuckles.

But i really need to have a play with them. Suprised by how strikingly similar they are to a jcustom.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystixboi View Post
great playing guitars, just not into the pickups...
The stock pickups in the 920QM are the best ones I've ever heard from IBZ/USA. Still--I just got a Crunch Lab and Liquifire from Larry just for this guitar. Like previously mentioned--pickups can always be swapped. While some stock pups sound decent--nothing beats a set of DiMarzios. That said, with a pickup swap--these Premiums are some of the best guitars to come from Ibanez in a long time. Sure they're not J Customs, but they don't carry the price tag either. The necks are very sweet. Great finish options. The EZII is much better than expected. I think they are well worth the dough.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

I just read this from the Sevenstring.org forums. Apparently rich from Ibanezrules posted this on his site:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezrules.com
Ibanez introduces a new Premium line of guitars that are being built in the Jawa Timur factory in Indonesia. Before you balk at their origins, these guitars have the goods. In a joint venture, Hoshino Gaki and Fujigen have purchased a portion of this factory, sent their finest craftsman to train the employees, and several have stayed behind to oversee operations to maintain the expected high degree of quality. Premium guitars are based on J Custom quality, without the J Custom price. These guitars feature select wood, Japanese trained craftsmanship, close tolerance, neck profile like Prestige Wizard [not Wizard 2!], and Dimarzio pickups. To keep costs down they're using figured wood veneers instead of 4mm tops, so you get the high end look without the huge price tag. The new Edge Zero 2 bridge is less refined in finish than the EZ, but has the right stuff under the hood, individual knife edges pressed in the base, EZ locking studs [that I replace with Lo Pro lockers on Silver and above], the ZR-V1.1 arm holder system, and a cleaner rout behind the trem as they have removed the intonation bolt from the EZ. This trem will perform like an EZ. High end Japanese features for low end Japanese money. I have 5 on order.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 02:41 AM

Just all go and buy a Pre 1992 and be done with it..
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 01:02 PM

extremely curious, why pre 1992 in particular?
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 09:25 PM

It's the golden era where standard guitars spec were like today's prestege. The timber and necks were better and they basically came stock with sweet dimarzio pickups. You can pick them up for a third of the price of today's guitars.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 09:29 AM

I bought one Premium and loved the playability. It's well built and the neck plays like butter. I liked it so much, I bought a second Premium and loaded a set of Dimarzio D-Activators in one and a set of Crunch Lab and Liquid Fire in the other one. These are my gigging guitars now. For the money, you can't beat them. I have one Prestige and love it, but these guitars are so good, you just can't go wrong.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickae View Post
Has anyone played both the premiums and the jcustom 7's and had a chance to compare them? If they're close to the quality then damn - they'd be definitely worth getting for under a grande.
Premiums normally have some issues, buy it from Rich if possible.

The finish on the body is not as thick, but the neck, tremolo and overall tone are the same IMO.

Mine sounds heavier and fuller than most basswood guitars I've tested/played/owned, as if the body was 1/3 mahogany and 2/3 basswood. Go figure.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leandro...57628141594886
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 10:38 AM

I love those guitars!! Your photos gave me major GAS for the Premium RG870QMZ HVV! The best looking, non custom guitar I have seen from Ibanez, EVER!! The only thing holding me back from a purchase is the stock pups they come with in europe and a bad experience from my second guitar which was an ibanez 270dx

If I were to decide, they should perfect the line for 2012 with real Dimarzios, discontinue some of the colors and introduce seethrough white and seethrough green (Like the Eriza Verde from PRS) and they're there!
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashed View Post
I love those guitars!! Your photos gave me major GAS for the Premium RG870QMZ HVV!
It's my main guitar now. I'm really enjoying it. If you need specific pictures, let me know.

Tags
jcustom , premium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode