Prestige = Standard + TLC - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Prestige = Standard + TLC

Am I understandfing it right that the Prestige necks -- made by the same machines as the standard necks -- are differentiated only by a little attention to detail (and some graphics)?

In other words, couldn't a guy like Rich make an RG350 play just as well as a Prestige? If so, if I were to then improve the hardware and electronics, wouldn't I then have, essentially, an RG1570?

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 01:37 AM

Re: Prestige = Standard + TLC

Nope, the wood and build quality on MIJ Prestige axes are higher. Besides, with all the hardware costs to upgrade the 350 it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a 1570 and replace the pups.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 12:37 PM

If you're talking about the current prestige models compared to the older MIJ models, yes they are the same just with some more TLC on the prestige necks. If you're comparing the Prestiges with the MIK and MII/MIC(Indonesia/China) models, not really.

While it is possible to make an RG350 play just as well as a Prestige, there would be a good amount of hardware swapping. However, if you don't care about the trem, changing pickups, stripping the neck and getting some good fret leveling done can help a lot. Mind you, that's more $$$ that could have gone towards a better guitar to begin with.

(btw, the necks on an RG350 and a RG1570 are very different. While it is possible to get a luthier to shave down the neck on an RG350 to match the profile on the RG1570, it's quite expensive).
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 01:38 PM

other then the neck profile differences,
constructions on prestidges are different
i believe Rg350 is a 3 piece neck with 2 holes punch thru the neck rite?...that weakens the neck n crack appears over time

prestidge neck uses 5 peice neck with no scarf joint and the strong support heel which the locking nuts go..it adds alot of strength in the neck...and theres no holes punch thru..

plus..if u just hold the teh guitar necks...thn u'll feel teh differences.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 02:32 PM

Most of the prestiges i've played have satin finish necks compared to other Ibanez's (which have a gloss or something).

I prefer the satin finishes so much

Tags
fret level , fret leveling , locking nut , locking nuts , prestige necks , scarf joint , standard neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode