Prestige bodies, all the same? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Prestige bodies, all the same?

Hi. Just a quick one as I'm having no luck with the search function. Spoke to the importers of Ibanez in my country about getting an RG Prestige body imported. According to them the bodies are all the same. Not in shape as that's a given. But they say the quality of the cheapest RG Prestige is the same body, from the same wood of the same quality as the higher end ones. Is this tru. Surely the "better" guitars should have a better body. On a side note, all the necks brought in as spare parts don't have the model designation on the back of the head stock, again I am told its because they all the same. Aside from some titanium reinforcement on some necks. This then means that the top shelf guitars are just the cheaper guitars with nicer pick ups and hardware. Great news for me as my plan is to scrap an RG1570. I want to keep the neck and the body. Hardware and pick ups can go. Will be filling in the middle cavity to make it a 2 pick up config and removing the floating bridge and filling the rear cavity to. Then giving it a swirl paint job. Wait got side tracked. Was just a quick one. So are they all the same when hardware and paint jobs are taken out of the equation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 03:09 PM

Reviews: 21
Re: Prestige bodies, all the same?

Maybe he's getting confused between Prestige guitars and Premiums.
I'm willing to bet the quality of wood on a Prestige is a little better. Route cuts and mounting screw holes on pick guards will be different but dimension-wise both are pretty close.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Banned

Wood species and shapes--yes!
Quality of wood cuts and workmanship--no!

I think the person you spoke with may not have understood your query.
Also--model numbers are stamped on the neck heel.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Should I be happy stripping and rebuilding an RG1570 then, or just hang on untill I can find a better model. The models are stamped on the guitars yes, but when a neck is imported as a spare part alone it has no model designation.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 04:08 PM

Also not all prestige guitars have basswood bodies then there are all the different neck profiles over the years and on different models. So from that point of view definitely not all prestige bodies/necks are the same.

With regards to premium vs prestige. Is the radius not different too due to the differences in trems?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Supose I should have been a little more specific. I'm talking about the guitars in a certain. So all rg guits in 2000 compared to rg guits in 2000, all 2013 rg guits compared with 2013 rg guits. Guess we can say basswood compared to basswood. Baisicly what I was told is in Japan there is a magicle place full off bits and pieces needed to birth a team j craft into this world. And how it all goes down is a body will be pulled off the shelf and painted, and a neck, then some bolts and its put together. Then they decide if its an rg1570 it gets its hardware, and if its an rg2570 it gets its designated hardware. Thus the two are the same except for the parts added to the stock body. And sharkfin inlays on some rg2570's. Seen one or two without. The prestige neck in 2013 is the same neck profile on all the prestige guitars this year according to the catalogue we get in SA. But when it comes to trully finding out what difference there is in the quality of the woods and materials we have zip info. At the end of the day I suppose Ibanez won't say all of them are the same, otherwize most people would just get the cheaper prestige and upgrade the parts for less than buying a high end prestige. Atleast in SA that's a cheaper option. I have played on many different models and some do feel nicer, but I know that isn't necesarily because they are higher models as I have also played 3 rg1570's and one was totally balls while another was one of the best guitars I have jamed on. A good set up makes the world go around.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 08:14 PM

Reviews: 2

It would make sense that that is how it works. Ibanez pickups for less, Dimarzios for more money. Add in the fancy extras or endorsement payouts for a signature model, that 's gotta be extra dough. Steve vai did say that the Jem guitars really propagate his lifestyle. And, come to think of it, my PGM's, Jems, and even my "lower" RG1420F's seem to be put together just as well and play just as well as each other. Come to think of it, I did have to sink much more money into the 1420's myself to fit them with real Dimarzios and I even had to buy cases. When all was said in done, they weren't really that much cheaper in the end. And those little blue hang tags with the intials of who did what.........many of the same names can be found whether it's my 1420, PGM , or Jem. Obviously the same people building the prestiges.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 01:20 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Team J Craft no longer exists. When it did--it was only a marketing slogan. ..from what Rich has mentioned.

Tags
prestige bodies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode