Prestige Fretwork - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Prestige Fretwork

Doesn't "Prestige" mean there are supposed to be extra steps in the fretwork?

I am totally not understanding what Ibanez is doing with fretwork these days. My new RG2610 has the most amazing perfectly level frets I have ever seen on a guitar. They must have taken some serious time to get the frets that perfect as far as being straight and level. Having said that, the fret ends stick out to the very edge of the binding and feel like fret ends on a cheap Chinese guitar, very rough and annoying. Other RG2610's I have seen are like this too. Is this just on the 2610 because it has neck binding or do all newer Prestige guitars have fret ends like this? I have several older RG770's with bound necks and none of them have the fret ends hanging out with sharp ends. I love my RG2610 but now after a week with it I have finally figured out what makes it not feel right, the fret ends.

I'll have to take a picture of the RG2610 neck next to an old RG770 neck. The fret end difference is very visable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Vendor

Re: Prestige Fretwork

Wood shrinks, metal doesn't. The problem is where you bought it, they didn't take care of the problem before you got it.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Wood shrinks, metal doesn't. The problem is where you bought it, they didn't take care of the problem before you got it.
I don't buy this explanation one bit. As a Vendor, you're trying to make it sound like if it came from you it wouldn't have this issue. I don't think it's a "problem" from the factory as in a factory defect. I think it's just the way Ibanez does these necks now. Every RG2610 I've seen has the frets like this. It's just kind of poor workmanship. Here's a pic comparing the new RG2610 neck to a late 80's RG770 neck with full binding. You see the difference in the fret ends. The older RG770 neck has the frets blending into the binding smoothly for a nice, smooth feel. The RG2610 neck has the frets hanging out the end of the binding. It's not terrible, it's just not as nice as the earlier necks. I would expect more from "Prestige" badging.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Vendor

Frets are finished ON the guitar. They are filled to the edge, and always have been. Any fret that is set back from the edge means the opposite, the neck has widened. It happens.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCrowe View Post
I don't buy this explanation one bit. As a Vendor, you're trying to make it sound like if it came from you it wouldn't have this issue.
He is, and it wouldn't if you had bought from him. Rich's level of finishing is legendary, and if you had bought from him, you would know that.

Guitars are mass produced, and that sort of this is expected (at least to me it is).
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
He is, and it wouldn't if you had bought from him. Rich's level of finishing is legendary, and if you had bought from him, you would know that.

Guitars are mass produced, and that sort of this is expected (at least to me it is).
So you're trying to tell me that Rich takes every single Prestige guitar and modifies the factory fretwork before sending them out? I would find that both impressive and scary at the same time. I'd love to see a pic of the frets on an RG2610 that Rich has right now and see what he did.

Anyway, aside from trying to promote a particular vendors personal agenda/sales, the question still remains. Does anyone else not find this kind of factory fretwork a bit disturbing?
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Vendor

It had nothing to do with promoting anything, if you don't want to hear the truth don't ask.

If you can run a fingernail from underneath the fret and it catches on an exposed end, then it was not taken care of from the dealer before you got it. Of course no mass merch will even look at it much less check for it, and most mom and pops won't either, but the good ones will.

I don't modify fretwork on guitars I flip, but I do have to take care of exposed ends, as every dealer should.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 01:26 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

what Rich said... it's OK to be wrong... live & learn ... glen
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

OK, it's all good. I'm just wondering if this is the norm.

Rich, how many RG2610's have you had? I'm sure the bound necks makes it more difficult to work the fret ends(you don't want to screw up the binding). Have the RG2610's you've received needed fret end work ? Can you post a pic ?
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Vendor

Binding, wood, what's the difference? You don't want to leave marks on either.

Never had a 2610, no interest in them. When I had the autoresponders up I'd get maybe one request every few months. No way I'm stocking a guitar with that little chance to sell it when the distributor has plenty they can't move either.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
but I do have to take care of exposed ends, as every dealer should.
Man I wish more dealers were like you!
Too many take them out of the box and straight to the wall.

Last edited by voyagerguy; 12-19-2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: apelling error
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 05:16 PM

yea ibanez doesn't round the fret ends at all, i've noticed this on every stock prestige ive played. you gotta do it yourself!
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulacy View Post
yea ibanez doesn't round the fret ends at all, i've noticed this on every stock prestige ive played. you gotta do it yourself!
Thank you very much for reading the original post and providing an answer that was actually what was asked for. I guess I need to go into Guitar Center and see if I can find some Japanese Prestige guitars and see what they're like now. I have about 20 1987-2002 RG's that all are just awesome. Those necks and fretwork have spoiled me to the point I won't pick up any of my Charvels or Jacksons anymore. My first "Prestige" guitar is an RGT3120 but its fret ends aren't so annoying. The fat neck is however very annoying. I'm going to have to go pick up some new RG1570's and RG550xx's and see what those necks/frets feel like.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Vendor

I don't know what either of you are talking about. Of course the fret ends are finished, as well as the edge of the fretboard. Are they as good as they were in 2002 at their peak? No, but they are 10 times better than anything pre Prestige era, and I mean your 1987 - 1998 stuff.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 07:16 PM

I don't think you're going to get the fret job you're after on any mass-produced guitar. You want rounded ends, go with a JC. If you're USED to playing rounded frets, then anything cut flat is going to feel different. Same as if you're used to the older neck where the frets are short of the binding edge. Prestige isn't a custom. Better materials, better tolerances, but the hand work is minimal. And that's not a slight on the Prestiges at all. They're awesome guitars! But you do have to do a little work on them to get to their fullest potential. More hand work = lower production = higer price point = JC. It's the old 'you can't get something for nothing' scenario.

Spend a nice evening with that 2610 and a fret file and all will be right with the world.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode