Prestige fretwork quality - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Prestige fretwork quality

Hey guys,

I just picked up my first Prestige, a new 1570.

The first thing I did when it arrived was check out the fretwork. I see on many of the frets under the low E, A and D strings that they are a little flat and not nicely crowned as you would expect. A couple are more than a "little" flat. I have a 06 MIK S7320 and the fingerboard and frets are VERY good. I was expecting at least that.

I understand the risk in buying and not seeing the guitar first and it's not necessarily a deal breaker but I am a bit surprised.

What have been your experience in this specific area. The serial starts with 10 so it's a new batch from earlier in the year.

Maybe I'm just seeing the marks of the tech leveling out high spots? I'm getting back into playing after about 20 years so I don't have much to gage my expectations by.

Thanks
JN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 PM

Re: Prestige fretwork quality

That is very common with mass produced guitars at ANY price point. These companies have a bottom line that they put above all else, even quality control. ANY new guitar that was not hand made in a small shop by one individual will need some work to get it 100%. It doesn't matter if you paid $5k for it, it will need the attention to the small details such as the fret issue you mentioned.

That said, getting your frets dressed by a competent luthier is not too pricey, and I can't recommend it enough. They may even find one or two other things that you have missed while they are at it, improving the guitar more than you think.

But sadly, it is completely normal in todays market to have these issues with a new guitar, be it Ibanez, Gibson, PRS, Martin, Taylor, or Fender. It doesn't matter how much you spend, you will only get a guitar that is 95% done from the big manufacturers.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Vendor

The Japanese guitars will have had a blocked fret level, the Korean will have had nothing. That's why you see undisturbed crowns on the S.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys,

That's what I was thinking but wanted confirmation. I planned on having to get the frets done anyway.

Thanks Rich. I hadn't thought about that.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 09:29 PM

I've had two high end Prestiges (RGT320Q and RG3120) over the past few years that both had awful fret work and I had to get fret levelings on both of them. Even the luthier for the 320Q commented on how bad the fretwork was.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Just for the record...

I really like the axe. The neck feels great for me. I wanted to get this mainly to compare the RG edge zero with the S / ZR to see which I liked better.

Looks like I'm keeping them both

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode