Prestige model difference - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Prestige model difference

Hello everyone

Im thinking of adding another guitar to my collection, a prestige one, but im confused on the model differences. Theres 2 im looking at, an S1520 and an S2540. Both look identical to me, but im guessing that the 2540 is a "better" guitar. Ibanez has so many model numbers its hard for me to find out what the differences are, if someone can explain that would be great

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 10:07 AM

Re: Prestige model difference

IMHO 2540 is better (in look, and quite rare). Both guitars are discontinued, so it wil be harder to find them. On ****.com you can find some 1520's these days, but 2540 is very hard to find. 1520 is nothing special, bubigna top, you have 1620, which is the same but with ZERO bridge. 2540 has got beautifull top, binding, inlays and gold hardware, it's more like J Custom than just Prestige.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 10:15 AM

Hi,
Are you sure you have the model numbers right? I have both an S1520 and an S2540. Neither is still in production. There are a number of differences: bubinga top on the 1520; middle single coil on the 2540 (1520 has only two hummers); gold hardware on the 2540; Wizard II neck on the 2540... Similarities: both were Japanese Prestige models, both had Lo-Pro Edge trem, QM pickups, mahogany bodies, and S body style. And both are fantastic instruments.

I think the last (updated) version of the S1520 lineage was the S1625 (last made in 2004?), which had the ZR tremelo with the D-tuner. The closest current model is the S2075 (H-S-H, burled top, ZR trem...), but that is a bit different from either of the other two.

Cheers,
Bert
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I think the seller has the model number wrong then, and both guitars are the S2540. Thats what had me confused, i know sometimes guitars can look similar but be made differently (ie ESP and LTD guitars). He listed it as a S1520, but its identical to the S2540 photos i found online. I just did a BIN on e*bay.com for $700, i think thats a fair price for this, looks good in the photos and theres just a small ding on the back of it. Cant wait to get it

This was the auction number : 7342091698
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 07:18 PM

Yep, it's definetely a 2540. It is a fair price, so get it!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 08:10 PM

Very good score, Grasshopper! Yes, that is an S2540, and you got it for the lowest price I've seen one sell for. Some have gone for hundreds more over the years. So you did very well. These days, pretty much the ONLY way to swing a stellar deal on the auctions is by a BIN, or by a misidentified item. Congratulations!
Bert
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 09:11 AM

Very nice score and price CONGRATZ!!!

Regards

André

Tags
edge trem , pro edge , pro edge trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode