Prestige model serial number doubt - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Prestige model serial number doubt

Hi there! Does anyone know how to identify this guitar?
The seller said it is a 95 model, MIJ, but the serial number still puzzles me.
Notice the Prestige logo only in the 24th fret,

Thanks in advance!
MXKT

Last edited by mxkt77; 11-12-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 09:47 AM

Re: Prestige model serial number doubt

That would more than likely be a show special or Japanese store special,and judging by the number and 'made in japan' font most probably built by the J custom team.
It's not a listed production model but i feel i have seen it before,maybe a photo shoot for a catalog.
Definitely grab it if the price is right,i doubt you will see another the same in your life time,very nice.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Corey!
I just answered to the seller that i'd buy it

Best wishes, Raul Mesquita
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 04:09 PM

It looks like the first example (I think 1998..) of europian Prestiges. The last fret marker is illegable from the pics but if it says "Prestige" then thats a find!
The first 3120 (or what the 3120 was moddled after, other than some j-customs that were built like it as well) was made for europe and had a prestige marker on the 24rth and not the headstock.......
Best bet is get Rich on the convo and he may be able to tell you. If it is a Prestige stamp I would snatch it up asap. Very rare....Some of the first prestiges (like a 3120) from 99-2002 in mint condition go on the bay for up to 1300...GC will sell them used for 800-1000....You can get a used 3520 from just a few years ago in mint condition from GC for less....Shows that some early higher end prestiges hold thier value very well....cause they were made better...

This could be collectable?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 04:12 PM

Unless this is an early Europe 3120 neck and a USRG body....lol..in that case a rare mutt....
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 05:48 PM
Vendor

These are actually the first Prestige models, they were built by the JC Shop, I've always stayed away from them because of the fretboard plaque [I just hate those!]
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
These are actually the first Prestige models, they were built by the JC Shop, I've always stayed away from them because of the fretboard plaque [I just hate those!]
LOL, I cant stand the JS series with that fretboard plaque or ESP's with the 12th fret plaque but I could live with this...

Rich let me ask you....I never saw one of these with a quilt and a middle pup...was this even more exclusive...would you be able to guess the value so we can help him make a good decision......want to see if the guy selling it is making him a good deal....
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 06:20 PM
Vendor

Less than a 3120 in similar condition. Rare doesn't mean valuable, it means nobody knows what it is so few would even want, and many will run from those stupid plaques.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Less than a 3120 in similar condition. Rare doesn't mean valuable, it means nobody knows what it is so few would even want, and many will run from those stupid plaques.
Im running.....right to its arms...I like it but then again I like cereal for dinner and steak for Bfast..........

So in its condition (and going a little bit less than a 3120 now) maybe 500-600? Make sense?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 06:25 PM
Vendor

I wouldn't presume to guess it's condition from 3 pictures like that.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 06:31 PM

Good point......at the end of the day we are responsible for what we purchase and buy....no one forces us to do it but ourselves (and severe GAS).....

MXKT77 - See if you can get more pics....get close ups of the bridge, edges, fretboard, frets, nut, back of the neck, neck joint...Anything where you may see a potential structural issue. See if you can get a history on it (how many owners, live use, refrets, service history etc...)
Also research and see if you can find anymore of these and get the pricing as well....Be well armed. If you find something you are unsure of ping back in
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 09:51 PM

I like the plaques with exception of the cheap ass JS100's and ESP's with crappy font.
but the 'custom made' and this 'prestige' i like.
Oh Im not a fan of the LACS and Gambale 12th fret block plaques either,but i would buy this guitar with out hesitation.
Good score mate.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 10:16 PM

Reviews: 2

That inlay wouldn't put me off either....I'd be on this like flies on.........
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 10:18 PM

Here's the catalog.
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/..._id=223&now=12
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 11:31 PM

So its an RG3180....Ok I know we all read that and im captain obvious......however I would def take it in a heart beat......I would wear a shirt with a plaque on it...ok no I wouldnt...(yes I would)....

Tags
serial rg prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode