Prestige neck bolt issue - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Prestige neck bolt issue

Just acquired a RG2006. Really an amazing player.

I noticed today the two neck bolts closest to the trem cover are not tightened all the way down. One is high enough to let the washer spin and move up and down. It is about 1/16 to 1/8 high, but does not protrude past the bolt hole.

I am tempted to tighten them, since it makes sense to me that the stress is supposed to be spread over all four of the bolts. But I really do not want to ruin the supernaturally low action.

Has anyone seen this before? Leave them or tighten? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:36 PM

Re: Prestige neck bolt issue

I would tighten them down. I don't see how they would affect anything by being loosened. At the same time when tightening make sure you don't have to use TOO much force or you might be going through the fretboard. That's unlikely since that normally happens when you get the back screws mixed with the front since the back are longer than the front screws.

That's my take on it but maybe someone else can confirm.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:51 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Tightern them down. In fact, loosen all four screws--then tighten them all down.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:00 AM

Reviews: 9

If the neck isn't actually lifted off the body in the pocket, it won't affect your action. If it is, you can always take the neck off and shim it, though shimming the pocket of the neck nearer the bridge is equivalent to lowering the bridge studs.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:50 AM

If it's the two screws closed to the brigge that are affected the force of the strings will act to pull the heel of the neck into the neck pocket, pivoting on the fulcrum formed by the other two screws. just tigthen the two lose screws and your action will not be affected.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. It is the bolts nearest to the bridge. I am going to tighten them down when I get home.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

I went ahead and tightened the bolts down. not too tight, just snug. Slight buzz now on the low E. Noticed it the day after, so it may be weather related.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 07:13 PM

I once loosened the two top bolts (toward the headstock) expecting the string tension to pull the nut away from the body slightly raising the string action. Prolly not a recommended procedure.

Tags
lose bolt. , prestige neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode