Prestige RG2550MZ vs Carvin JB200C - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Prestige RG2550MZ vs Carvin JB200C

Okay, now that I'm off the high of my new Carvin (sorta ) I thought I'd give a comparison thread about my feelings between my Jason Becker model ANd the loyal prestige that has been my main axe until I got my Carvin, the RG2550MZ. I didn't know where to put this thread so I stuck it here, if this is the wrong place, mods please move it to the correct forum. thanks

I'm not gonna go over wood or anything because Carvin is a custom shop and you can get anything you want. I'm just going to go over things like neck playability, sound, etc.

I'll start with the 2550, as I got it first and have played it a lot longer.

Neck: I like the neck, it's perfect in width and thickness imo. I wish it was just a little more round, but you can't really get any more round with such a thin neck I love the rosewood as it compliments the white body and the inlays stand out more (which is one of the main reasons I got this guitar in the first place).

One thing I don't like about the neck is the finish. It feels really slow compared to the tung oil finish on the back of the JB. It's not bad, just not as smooth.

Sound:

I left the Dimarzio IBZs in here for a long time but I changed out the single coil for a Dimarzio Blue velvet. Other than that, it's all stock. I love these pups. very balanced, love the IBZ neck pup. Very warm but not insanely high in mids like the Gravity storm. I haven't changed em for good reason: They give me EXACTLY what I'm looking for in a pickup.

Stability:

For the first time tonight, I really worked the trem arm on this baby. Had to do some minor string stretching but once that was done, this thing was rock solid. The ZPS really does work great.

Maintenance:

Having the tension knob is soooo helpful. Easy to adjust tension. Also, being that the neck is rosewood, it doesn't need massive amounts of cleaning to keep it looking great so that makes life REALLY easy.

Now for the Carvin JB200C

Neck:

This is a 25 inch scale (versus the 25.5 of the 2550) and that allows the string to be slightly looser when installed (easier for bends and such). The Tung oil finish is AMAZING. So smooth, like a baby's behind. You can fly across the neck as fast as you want and nothing will hold you up. Also, as the neck is narrower (and rounder) it works great for chording and feels VERY comfortable when playing (even for an Ibanez player).

Sound:

I put Carvin's most brutal pups in this thing, the M22SD and M22V. These things are very much like the Dimarzio Evos, in the sense that they are insanely high output. Add into that the Active electronics and these things SCREAM. Not good for playing at home with low volume They are very balanced in sound (something I like about these over the Evos) and harmonics sing (not as good as the Dimarzio AT-1, but good enough). There are 12 pole pieces per coil, and the reason Carvin does this is because they believe it helps with sustain. I can attest that it DOES help. Comparing the sustain of this to the 2550, the notes on the JB sing for a LONG time. The 2550 do die out pretty quick.

Stability:

I'm still getting this baby broken in, but I think I finally have everything set up properly. Being that it's an OFR, it's pretty stable (not as stable as ZPS though). gets the job done.

Maintenance:

Being that this is a flamed maple fingerboard, it needs to be cleaned often (unless you feel like relicing it ). I haven't had to YET, but it's a job I'm dreading OTOH, being that Carvin puts it's own in-house brand of locking tuners, string changes are EASY. During string stretching this week, I broke a string and had to do a string change. Went VERY smoothly.

The gloss Carvin uses leaves fingerprints REALLY clearly so having to wipe off everything takes a lot of time

I just thought I'd post my thoughts on both guitars and not be a fanboy of one brand or the other (seeing as how I've been raving about my JB for so long lol). I won't do scoring and stuff because I think that takes away from the purpose of this comparison. I like both guitars, they both play great and thanks to the JB, I've finally rediscovered why I love Ibanez so much as well (as well as falling in love with Carvin products)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 09:47 AM

Re: Prestige RG2550MZ vs Carvin JB200C

Nice comparison! Wish I could play that JB to see what that neck feels like.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 09:30 PM

This is an interesting comparison. I can’t comment on the Ibanez model you have but I have 3 Jems, a ’91 777 VDY, an 88’ 777DY and 2011 Jem 7Vwh. I also have a JB200C.
The JB200C is an extremely versatile guitar. The coil taps, the phase switch and the ability to pull the volume knob to put it into passive mode gives this guitar an incredible amount of tonal options without changing amp settings. You can also adjust the “active” output if you decide it’s too hot or not enough. You just have to open the electronics cavity and adjust the dial.
The neck is very nice. It’s hard to describe. It’s probably closer to the feel of my 91’ Les Paul with the 1960’s slim taper than the Jems. It’s like half way between the flatness of the VDY profile and about as round as the DY. It’s really in its own class. I have jumbo frets on it which makes it feel a lot different than the Jems. The unfinished neck is pretty fast and the flamed maple fret board really looks neat.
As far as sustain goes, it’s a neck through guitar and has natural resonance that’s closer to my Jackson USA Soloist than an Ibanez.
I have the sapphire blue with the deep triple stain option, and it looks great. They do use a high gloss finish and yes the fingerprints do show up.
I have an assortment of high end guitars, and the Carvin JB200C is some of the best money I ever spent on a guitar, plus it supports Jason Becker. It’s just a unique guitar. I don’t think it “competes” with my other guitars, especially my Jems. I’d say it’s pretty much the Swiss army knife of guitars in my group though.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstunner View Post
This is an interesting comparison. I canít comment on the Ibanez model you have but I have 3 Jems, a í91 777 VDY, an 88í 777DY and 2011 Jem 7Vwh. I also have a JB200C.
The JB200C is an extremely versatile guitar. The coil taps, the phase switch and the ability to pull the volume knob to put it into passive mode gives this guitar an incredible amount of tonal options without changing amp settings. You can also adjust the ďactiveĒ output if you decide itís too hot or not enough. You just have to open the electronics cavity and adjust the dial.
The neck is very nice. Itís hard to describe. Itís probably closer to the feel of my 91í Les Paul with the 1960ís slim taper than the Jems. Itís like half way between the flatness of the VDY profile and about as round as the DY. Itís really in its own class. I have jumbo frets on it which makes it feel a lot different than the Jems. The unfinished neck is pretty fast and the flamed maple fret board really looks neat.
As far as sustain goes, itís a neck through guitar and has natural resonance thatís closer to my Jackson USA Soloist than an Ibanez.
I have the sapphire blue with the deep triple stain option, and it looks great. They do use a high gloss finish and yes the fingerprints do show up.
I have an assortment of high end guitars, and the Carvin JB200C is some of the best money I ever spent on a guitar, plus it supports Jason Becker. Itís just a unique guitar. I donít think it ďcompetesĒ with my other guitars, especially my Jems. Iíd say itís pretty much the Swiss army knife of guitars in my group though.
I agree with everything you said. It is a Swiss army knife and I love it. Most versatile guitar ever made imo. Also the best money I ever spent on a guitar as well.

I was just trying to be honest with my opinion though because my RG2550MZ is an AMAZING axe and while it may not be as versatile as my JB200C, it's still a great player. I pick it up quite often.

As for price, because I live outside the U.S., I had to pay extra taxes and shipping through the dealer, so it ended up costing about 1000 USD more than my 2550. That's why I tried to avoid prices and woods and things. I wanted to write an objective, helpful comparison between both guitars, in my own opinion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode