Prestige RG2550Z (2015) vs RG652 Prestige (2017+) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By ShinkanPo
  • 1 Post By jemsite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Prestige RG2550Z (2015) vs RG652 Prestige (2017+)

Hi all,

Got it narrowed down to these 2 guitars. Price doesn't really matter in my decision but I have found a good deal particularly on the 2550Z which is a 2015 model (updated pickups, updated paint finish, etc). Can anyone tell me any particular differences or if one is "better" than the other in any particular area?

So far at brand new price it seems like the RG652 models average around $300-400 more but I don't understand why.

I am looking at a used "like-new" RG2550Z which I can get for $900 which seems really reasonable for the quality of the guitar and condition, I'm pretty set on it. The cheapest RG652's seem to be around $1300-1400 which is quite a bit more expensive.

So basically, can you tell me anything particularly different about these? Should I spend the extra on the RG652 for any particular reasons?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 12:23 PM

Re: Prestige RG2550Z (2015) vs RG652 Prestige (2017+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
Hi all,

Got it narrowed down to these 2 guitars. Price doesn't really matter in my decision but I have found a good deal particularly on the 2550Z which is a 2015 model (updated pickups, updated paint finish, etc). Can anyone tell me any particular differences or if one is "better" than the other in any particular area?

So far at brand new price it seems like the RG652 models average around $300-400 more but I don't understand why.

I am looking at a used "like-new" RG2550Z which I can get for $900 which seems really reasonable for the quality of the guitar and condition, I'm pretty set on it. The cheapest RG652's seem to be around $1300-1400 which is quite a bit more expensive.

So basically, can you tell me anything particularly different about these? Should I spend the extra on the RG652 for any particular reasons?

Thanks

What particular RG652 are we talking about here? RG652AHM ? AHB RG652K

I think it is because those like the RG652AHM have a transparent finish and Ash body instead of Basswood. It seems Ibanez charge a premium if they use a non basswood body at the higher levels.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinkanPo View Post
What particular RG652 are we talking about here? RG652AHM ? AHB RG652K

I think it is because those like the RG652AHM have a transparent finish and Ash body instead of Basswood. It seems Ibanez charge a premium if they use a non basswood body at the higher levels.
Yes, I believe you are correct. I am primarily referring to the RG652AHM which appears to have "Birdseye Maple" and stuff. I also noticed it has the original Edge bridge which I heard is the best one? The one on the RG2550Z has the ability to change string tension without having to take the back cover off which sounds really cool to me, however it is the "Edge Zero".
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 12:33 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

All things equal, the Z trem is a factor that negatively impacts resale any way you cut it. So if you want that you're in luck.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
All things equal, the Z trem is a factor that negatively impacts resale any way you cut it. So if you want that you're in luck.
Thanks. I pretty much never re-sell guitars, so shouldn't be an issue. Can you explain the difference with the "Z trem"? Is that why the 2550Z is cheaper, due to the lower end bridge and possibly wood use?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:

I may go of a tangent here a bit but let me share my story when I was going to buy my first RG Prestige back in 2010, up to that point I the only high end Ibanez I have played was my cousins S540 with a lo-pro which doing that time the plastic trem bushings are so worn out it can't flutter anymore and won't stay in place. And later another cousin of mine got a Yamaha RGX610 with the TRS-Pro bridge which at that time I liked the feel better because I can easily adjust the tension of the arm although he explained that offcourse the Ibanez Edge family of trems is still superior.

But me being ignorant about the Edge system and the tricks on how to use teflon tape and other DIY stuff to tighten the bushing I got discourage when I saw my friends RG3120s have the trem arm fall off and they said the plastic bushings is already worn of and that its to expensive to replace it while their TRS pro equipped guitars can still be tightened.

So to cut the story short when I started looking for my first prestige guitar I am specifically looking for the Edge Zero trems but at that time its not yet available in my country most of the guitars are equipped with the Edge pro so I was a bit hesitant, but I really need a quality guitar at that time because all I use is a Korean RG220b I got in 1999! So I still reluctantly purchased the lo pro equipped guitar and I think from about 2011 up to 2012 I am all raving about getting another guitar with the Edge Zero. But funny enough I started losing interest in the Edge Zero by around 2013 and I am all about Original Edge or LoPro I guessed I was influenced by the online community as many preferred the OE more.
jemsite likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Okay guys.. did some research. I no longer want this 2550Z.. the Edge Zero sounds like it's not near as good as the original Edge bridge that is made in Japan. Gonna look around at other Prestige models.. might even go for the new RG550 coming out.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 01:05 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
Thanks. I pretty much never re-sell guitars, so shouldn't be an issue. Can you explain the difference with the "Z trem"? Is that why the 2550Z is cheaper, due to the lower end bridge and possibly wood use?
The Edge Zero is different in feel/function and also incompatible with the body route of the Edge/LoPro trems. I wouldn't call it a low end bridge - Ibanez tried to market it as a true innovation - but it is less desirable since enthusiasts and players of these guitars seem to want the Edge/LoPro (which Ibanez seems to now understand... don't fix what's not broken). Some players really like the Zero. Good luck.
ShinkanPo likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
The Edge Zero is different in feel/function and also incompatible with the body route of the Edge/LoPro trems. I wouldn't call it a low end bridge - Ibanez tried to market it as a true innovation - but it is less desirable since enthusiasts and players of these guitars seem to want the Edge/LoPro (which Ibanez seems to now understand... don't fix what's not broken). Some players really like the Zero. Good luck.
And owning a LoPro/Edge equipped guitar is a really good investment specially if you are collecting older models of the RG line as they come with the Edge or LoPro that means you can swap parts if needed.

That is one of the reasons I chose the RG655 over the RG2550Z. Because I already have an RG1570E with an Edge Pro and even though they are very different atleast bridge saddle and base plate parts wise their Trem arm are the same which means if I break one of the tremolo bars I can use the other one.!

And I just don't like how the big route at the back looks like on the EZ equipped guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode