PRESTIGE RG652 goes out of tune way fast, common? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Arrow PRESTIGE RG652 goes out of tune way fast, common?

So I got my IBANEZ PRESTIGE RG652 from Music Store live about 4 days ago and noticed right out of the box it had buzzing issues. Now I raised the action a bit and it helped but yet I can still tell there is buzzing near the nut. Not only that but the guitar goes out of tune very fast, especially the G string! I'm just curious if I got a lemon or has this been a common issue with this particular model. I mean for a $1,000 guitar this should not happen. Anyone hear anything?

So yeah I'm gonna return it but I really don't want to because I love how it plays and feels! sux
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 02:41 AM

Reviews: 4
Re: PRESTIGE RG652 goes out of tune way fast, common?

Did you stretch the strings before locking?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 05:42 AM

Reviews: 6

I had that issue also with more than one of my axes and also on the G, check the nut for wear. What worked for me before was going over the nut by rubbing graphite from a pencil into the V. For some reason it was always the G for me, I suspect they don't make the V's quite wide enough on those.

Regarding the buzzing, it may be due to strings not being stretched properly as Fae has pointed out, check the nut to make sure it's tight and the right way around. Apart from that, wait for one of our more experienced guys to come back to you before returning your new axe (they're very fast here). My advice is to be taken with a pinch of salt, but most of the other guys know their stuff, so it's worth waiting a few hours.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 08:01 AM

Buzzing on the lower frets either indicates back-bow, or simply not enough relief on the neck. (It should be bowed slightly forward, depending on how low you want your action and just personal taste.) If it's just buzzing at the nut, the nut may be cut too low.
Go to www.ibanezrules.com and check the tech pages he has there for detailed information on how to properly set up your guitar. It's worth the effort.
I got my first electric guitar, an Ibanez, a little over a year ago and was totally clueless how to set one up. My guitar was used and out of the box I could tell it wasn't right so was already a member here and in my 'New Guitar Day' thread asked some advice, but then remembered reading that Rich (owner Ibanez Rules) has a long, detailed tutorial about setting it up.
Now it's like my 'Setup Bible'. I've tweaked it a bit for my taste, but it was a great starting point and it teaches you what to look for, what to do and what not to do.
This is a fixed bridge guitar, right? Going out of tune may be due to strings not stretched quite enough. Did you put new strings on? If you haven't, I'd suggest doing that first thing. Also; don't leave too many windings on the tuning peg, 2 or 3 at most. And stretch those things out.
Also make sure everything is tight. Tuners, bridge mount, neck bolts, etc.
If you know all this already, please; sorry for the assumption that you don't, but what you're describing is exactly the things I didn't understand about setup at first.
I'm just a dumb-blonde, and I got it all sorted out.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 08:05 AM

Oh, almost forgot!

Welcome to Jemsite!

You can learn a lot here, and just have a good time as well. This is a great group of guys and they haven't given me one bit of grief about anything.
They're all very helpful and kind and seem to enjoy it when I tease the hell out of Rich.
(Just to be clear, I'm one of the few, if not the only current, actively posting girl on this site)
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 08:35 AM

Your guitar just needs a proper setup - so few manufacturers or dealers "bench" them before they ship anymore. If you're going to do it yourself, patience is the key.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaas View Post
Your guitar just needs a proper setup - so few manufacturers or dealers "bench" them before they ship anymore. If you're going to do it yourself, patience is the key.
I agree here... It's kind of ridiculous but true. What's the point of doing "prestige" level fret work, but sending it out buzzing and fretting out???

Even used guitars from a dealer should have at least a playable setup... It really doesn't take that much effort to pull out a straight edge, turn a truss rod and adjust a couple allen screws on a hardtail... If you buy a guitar from a dealer a useable set up should come with it IMHO...

Last edited by Swirltop; 06-15-2014 at 09:53 AM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
I agree here... It's kind of ridiculous but true. What's the point of doing "prestige" level fret work, but sending it out buzzing and fretting out???

Even used guitars from a dealer should have at least a playable setup... It really doesn't take that much effort to pull out a straight edge, turn a truss rod and adjust a couple allen screws on a hardtail... If you buy a guitar from a dealer a useable set up should come with it IMHO...
Totally agree with this.

What I didn't realize before when I was getting my first 2 Ibanezes is that (at least with the RG350EXZ) I should have taken advantage of the 1 year free maintenance that came with the guitar. I could get ANYTHING done for free (only for a year though). Didn't realize how much I should have used that to get my 350 in perfect shape but I was VERY noob to the whole guitar thing, didn't even notice until recently that I could have had so much work done before. Oh well, I learned how to do it mostly myself so it's all good
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. I'll wait to hear the other guys thoughts but I will mess with the tuners to see if anything comes of it
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyork_jarl View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I'll wait to hear the other guys thoughts but I will mess with the tuners to see if anything comes of it
Sorry I forgot about the advice I was going to give you... IMO all guitar players should have a good straight edge and a Fret Rocker and know how to use them, it would avoid a crap load of setup problems and guessing.

First check the length of the neck with a straight edge right along the top of the frets to make sure the neck isn't backbowed. Buzzing near the nut is usually a sign of a backbowed neck or the nut cut too low. Since we're just coming into some warmth and humidity here in NY there's a chance the neck has moved a bit with the changing weather...

If it's back bowed or dead straight loosen the truss rod (lefty loosy) checking it about a 1/4 turn at a time until you have .2mm to .3mm around the 9th fret between the straight edge and top of the fret.

If it's still buzzing around the nut area then the nut may be cut too low or a fret may have popped up a bit. At this point you'd need to check the frets across 3 at a time with a fret rocker or smaller straight edges to check for high/low frets...
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 04:42 PM
Vendor

Fujigen has a bad tendency to overcut a couple nut slots. Almost every single guitar I'll have to build at least one up higher, and then cut all the high ones lower.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Fujigen has a bad tendency to overcut a couple nut slots. Almost every single guitar I'll have to build at least one up higher, and then cut all the high ones lower.
You know; the list of errors on Ibanez part keeps growing. I know all companies have some glitches here and there, but a whole line of very expensive guitars that you couldn't get the intonation right on every one you got for what was it? A year?
I know low/high cut nuts is a minor thing, but for a $1000+ guitar, and some much more, I'd expect a little more care not only in the cutting itself, but the testing after it's been cut.
I guess some buzzing and some high strings is acceptable....at least as far as Ibanez is concerned.
Good (great, actually) that there's a dealer like you that's honest with his customers and not just blowing guitars in and out with no regard to their play-ability.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 06:48 PM
Vendor

You have to remember it's Fujigen that builds the guitars, not Ibanez. And when the neck has .5mm of relief, no problem. When you take most of that relief out and do a typical low setup, then you have problems.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 06:58 PM

I get it now.
So I'm gleaning from your statement that when Fujigen sets up all the guitars they make they go with the highest 'reasonable' relief and then it makes perfect sense.
They don't even know the nut is cut too low for players that want a lower action.
Gotcha.
Still no excuse for the Jem's intonation problems, right?
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Vendor

No excuse for any of it, other than, it's a factory, not a small boutique luthiers shop, which, also makes its share of mistakes.

Tags
prestige rg652

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode