Prestige RG652AHM pots sound like scraping - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Prestige RG652AHM pots sound like scraping

Both the volume and tone pots on my RG652 sound like they're scraping when I turn them. They sound fine plugged in, there's no added noise that I can hear. It's just when I turn them I hear it (unplugged).

Anyone else have this problem or have an idea what it is? I'd rather not replace anything if I don't have to. Thanks in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 08:05 AM

Re: Prestige RG652AHM pots sound like scraping

Hi

From the description, had this problem with an RG2550 that I have a little while back.
Tried cleaning them out which appeared to help (for a little while).

I was going through a phase of doing volume swells also (at that time), which didn't last long as the volume pot eventually froze solid.

Sounds like you will need new pots shortly. Buy now and swap out to sort the problem would be my input.

RG Bargie
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Cool. Thanks for the info.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 05:46 AM

Hi,

Bit random for such a late reply but I have exactly the same problem on exactly the same guitar which I just brought new a couple of days ago. Looking at the QC checklist looks like the guitar itself was built in 2016 so probably the same batch as yours, think it was quite a limited run and they took awhile before they sent some over to the UK, I also picked up one of the last I could find on the internet.

Anyway if the original poster is still around I was just wondering whether you got them replaced or whether they are still going strong, thinking of getting mine switched but would rather not if you found that actually they were fine...

As you said, they work fine, so not really a warranty thing, but they feel and sound a bit like dragging your finger lightly over card, just not satisfyingly smooth like pots on my other guitars.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 05:54 PM

All the RG652's and RG655's I've bought in the past 2 years, oh and an RG752 I picked up the other day have pots that "feel" scratchy", but don't sound scratchy though the amp, I guess its normal at the moment and I don't think its anything to worry about.

Tags
pots , rg652 , tone , volume

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode