Prestige RG920QM HVV Initial Thoughts - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Prestige RG920QM HVV Initial Thoughts

First off, I'm not your typical RG or Ibanez user. I generally use Fender guitars (Fender Japan is RAD!), but my band plays somewhat heavy music and I've been wanting to dip my toe into more technical playing, so I decided to purchase an RG920QM.

I bought the guitar used for what I consider to be a pretty good deal having watched ebay for several weeks now. I just received it today and I wanted to give my initial impression, especially as an atypical Ibanez buyer.

Firstly, I've read some very negative comments on this forum about the Premium series and I have to say that I'm glad I didn't read them until after I had already purchased the guitar because I may have been dissuaded from making the purchase otherwise. Now that I have the guitar in my hands, I can say that it's a very quality instrument indeed, especially for the price. The finish is stunning, and while it's not what I'd consider "custom shop" quality, it's very good.

I've read conflicting opinions about the neck on this model and to tell the truth, I normally prefer pretty beefy necks (another reason I'm an atypical Ibanez buyer). However, being that this is a shredder guitar, I find the neck to be very comfortable and it's well finished and dressed. The quilt veneer on my guitar is gorgeous with lots of solid figuring and it more than does the trick (even my wife likes it).

The construction and fit is really solid and precise. The guitar is really resonant, especially considering it's Poly finished. To me, this piece has all the ingredients that I look for in a new guitar, which basically is a solid base to build on. I'm very comfortable upgrading components such as electronics and hardware. What's important to me is the underlying quality of the neck and body, which on this piece are both very high. As a bonus, the bridge, tuners and other hardware also seems to be of very high quality and shouldn't require replacement.

Though some people say thes pickups are great, I don't think I'll keep them installed. Not because they are bad pickups, indeed they have a very nice clean sound (a total surprise), but because they aren't to my taste. I find the overdriven sounds to be fairly harsh, and the output is beyond my realm of comfort. I've been running around trying to get feedback on a replacement set and I'm pretty certain that I'm going to get Dimarzios (Norton Bridge and Fred Neck).

Additionally, as a first time floyd user (basically the same design I understand), I'm already having a lot of fun with the trem. I'm a total novice when it comes to this type of tremolo, but I've used plenty of other styles in the past including Wilkinson VS100, 5+1 and standard fender strat style. None of them really reliably return to pitch after serious use and this Ibanez trem is magical!

Anyway, I hope I've not bored the pants off of you all with this review. I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents for anyone considering purchasing this guitar. For me, as a first "shredder" guitar, I think it's a fantastic value and a guitar I look forward to playing for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:49 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Prestige RG920QM HVV Initial Thoughts

Another happy Premium owner! Congrats. Now, go to the Reviews section and start writing....

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Oh yes, a review . . . doh!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:56 PM

Congrats!

I received mine from Rich yesterday, it's a HVV too. I've already replaced both pickups and taken photos. Will post a NGD thread with photos within the next 2 days.

Last edited by Typhon; 11-15-2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason: typing...bad keyboard
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Banned

We need to make this thread the "Official RG920QM HVV Owners Thread."

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
Congrats!

I received mine from Rich yesterday, it's a HVV too. I've already replaced both pickups and taken photos. Will post a NGD thread with photos within the next 2 days.
Which pickups did you go with and how do you like them?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 12:55 AM
Banned

I'LLC tell you what's going in mine. Larry D sent me a Crunch Lab/ Liquifier combo, since the Premium is my only Ibanezrules without Dimarzios. They're white, and I'll put white knobs and switch tip. I hope to have it done this week. I'll let you know how they sound.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:05 AM

Something's wrong with the title of this thread.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur View Post
Something's wrong with the title of this thread.
He caught it though, and named it properly in the thread. We can't edit our thread titles, unfortunately.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
I'LLC tell you what's going in mine. Larry D sent me a Crunch Lab/ Liquifier combo, since the Premium is my only Ibanezrules without Dimarzios. They're white, and I'll put white knobs and switch tip. I hope to have it done this week. I'll let you know how they sound.
ill be interested to see the white knobs purple quilt combo!

was contemplating pulling the trigger on one of these myself recently, but would rather see it in person and play it before commiting!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medgeking View Post
Which pickups did you go with and how do you like them?
Evo 2 in the bridge and Liquifire in the neck. I had those 2 just waiting for any eventual new guitar.

Like you've pointed out, the 920 resonates more than other basswood RG's I've owned or tested. It took me seconds to notice.

Both sounded harsher (just a bit, let's say 10% more) than expected, probably because this resonant characteristic allows the basswood body to ring out more, but at the same time the guitar sounds full, harmonically rich.

The Liquifire sounds a lot more like Petrucci on that guitar, with those rough mids more audible than when the same pickup was in my other RG. Rough sounds like the best way to describe it, but in a positive way.

Most important, it sounded full and resonant.

In fact, the neck DiMarzio/ibz sounded perfect for shredding, I really liked it, but most Mesa amps (except for Rectos) are a bit dark sounding, and that could explain the perfect match. Sounds like an opportunity to try a Super 2 in the neck position sometime soon.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, played it more this morning before work (made me late actually!) and I'm really happy. What a great guitar this is! I'm shocked at what a big solid feel the RG design has. Considering the dramatically sharp horns, I would have expected this guitar shape to lack some of the girthy tone and feel that you get with a telecaster (my preferred guitar), but contrary to my intuition, the RG has a really big feel and sound - I'm talking purely resonance and acoustic sound. Obviously, with high output pickups, this guitar screams over a tele, but for me, I've noticed that high output pickups can't compensate for a thin or dead feeling body. Fortunately, with this guitar, no compensation is necessary!

As a side note, I think that negative comments about "cheap basswood" bodies are really silly. Basswood is a great tonewood and the fact that it's very slightly less expensive (we're talking like 10%-20%) than alder or mahogany has absolutely no relationship to the quality of the wood. I'm sure I'm preaching to the crowd here considering this is an Ibanez forum, but I've read countless postings where someone will denigrate basswood as an inferior tonewood. It may not be your preferred sound, but it's certainly not an inferior wood.

Finally, just thought I'd mention that I warmed a bit to the pickups this morning along with the switching system. I find the 2&4 positions to have very useful applications. The pickups do sound very good for a certain sound. I'm used to a more classic Alnico V sound with my other guitars (lower output also) and that's generally my comfort zone. I still may change out the pups, but for now I'm having fun with the stock IBZs.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I still may change out the pups, but for now I'm having fun with the stock IBZs.
The stock pickups ask for pure shredding!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I've noticed that high output pickups can't compensate for a thin or dead feeling body. Fortunately, with this guitar, no compensation is necessary!
Some do a nice job - Tone Zone, Super 3, Super Distortion - but it's not the same thing. Never.

Sorry for not replying only once. I need 10 posts to post an album with 50 pictures of my HVV.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 09:06 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
We need to make this thread the "Official RG920QM HVV Owners Thread."
Swirled777<-----damnit!! gets left out because of his Red Desert 920....

Tags
ibanez premium , rg920qm , rg920qm hvv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode