Prestige RGT3120 - The coolest new Ibanez ain't a signature - Page 6 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 12:45 PM

Prestige RGT3120

No Problem vaijem777
Out,
GP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-12-2002, 08:07 PM

Prestige RGT3120

Hello, I am new here.
I have an RG3120 and I love it. The neck joint is ok with me even for my small fingers. So I have this question with neck-thru guitars. If you glue two wings onto this center piece that extents as a neck, then you lose this solid chunk of wood as a body. So depending on the bond between center and wings, the whole guitar won't resonate as much. I know strings are fixed on the same piece of wood, but it also isolates it from the rest of the material. Right?
I have tried a couple jackson neck-thru's in guitar center, indeed the neck and body don't resonate as much as my rg3120 when I play a note. It's even more noticable when I strum a chord. Can anyone who have had experience with neck-thru guitars tell me how they are?
If a neck-thru is better because of longer sustain, they might as well get rid of the trem. Because I know they eat sustain especially at low end.
post #78 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 01:13 AM

Prestige RGT3120

There's good wood and there's not-so-good wood. But a properly glued joint will transfer vibration better than a bolted joint, 100% of the time. When you laminate pieces of wood together, they essentially become one piece of wood. The difference in resonance you feel and hear is probably more a factor of the quality and particular species of woods than the construction.
post #79 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 05:35 PM

Prestige RGT3120

"When you laminate pieces of wood together, they essentially become one piece of wood. "
Serously?
How do they laminate pieces together? Is this just glue between flat surface and surface?
post #80 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 09:40 PM

Prestige RGT3120

"Laminating" is just a fancy word for "gluing".

Some bolted-together guitars resonate extremely well, just as some glued-neck or neck-through guitars resonate badly.

Guitars with bolt-on necks, in my experience, have a little more "snap" in the upper mids and high-end presence, which would indicate that the bolt-on construction doesn't transmit lower and low-mid frequencies as well. Set-neck and neck-through guitars seem to have more bottom end and a little less "sparkle". Of course, there are almost infinite variations within these generalizations, having to do with the kind of body and neck woods, pickups, bridge/tailpiece type, etc.
post #81 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-14-2002, 07:55 PM

Prestige RGT3120

thanks darren!
that cleared up the confusion I had with all kinds of constructions.
I remember reading this interview with Satriani in which he says he likes the tone of a fender style bolt-on neck so he doesn't go neck thru or all access when he designs JS with ibanez. I did not know what tone he was talking about.
post #82 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 04:13 PM

Hey, on the Ibanez guitars what's the tonal differences between the Ibanez RGs with basswood and Mahogany?

And what do you guys think of the RG520 compared to the RG570?
post #83 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsf1977
Hey, on the Ibanez guitars what's the tonal differences between the Ibanez RGs with basswood and Mahogany?

And what do you guys think of the RG520 compared to the RG570?
Hi rsf1977welcome to the forums Firstly the wood sounds are all very hard to describe as I'm sure you'll know, sounds are hard to put into words that mean exactly the same thing to different folks.

Try this page HERE for some tone descriptions I tend to agree with, or this one HERE for more of the same.

Both are from well respected companies and seem to agree with each other's ideas.

As far as the RG520 and the RG570 are concerned look back in the "Other Ibanez Guitars" forum or try using the search funstion.
post #84 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 05:20 PM

Yea those sites are good but what I really can't seem to find is Basswood more or less trebely than Mahogony and direct comparrisons between those 2 woods. Can anyone help me with this?

Tags
bridge pickup , bridge pickups , bubinga neck , chrome hardware , clean tone , coil tap , darren wilson , fender strat , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge guitars , flame maple , flame maple binding , ibanez guitars , jackson soloist , locking nut , locking nuts , mahogany body , maple binding , mounted pickups , neck finish , neck joint , neck pickup , neck shape , neck thru , paf pro , paf pro neck , paf pros , pro neck , production model , quilted maple

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode