Prestige RGT320Q V J-custom RG8470F - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Prestige RGT320Q V J-custom RG8470F

Hi,

I'm undecided between these two models, does anyone know what frets are installed on the J-custom, I think the RGT320Q has the 'jumbo frets' as Ibanez call them? I prefer the thin frets on my Jem, the 6105s. Is the RG8470 a big jump (in quality terms) from the 'not that cheap', and very good looking RGT320Q? I like the idea of a neck through to replace a PRS set neck I recently sold, as they do feel so damn solid and warmer, but cant help thinkning that the Prestige is a 'lesser' guitar in some way. What do you guys think?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 12:12 PM

Re: Prestige RGT320Q V J-custom RG8470F

Hard to call the RGT320 lesser in any form but the RG8470 is definitely given far more attention to detail. I'm curious to see what replaces the RGT320 this year. Ibanezrules.com has them listed as now discontinued.

Which one do you feel would inspire you most?

There's your answer.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 12:35 PM

Reviews: 3

I just recently got my 8470RS and in comparing it to my S2540, FGM100 and my old RG320DX the frets seem larger and the neck is a little fatter.

I have short fingers so I prefer the Gambale neck as it is small and most comfortable on my hands.

But man my fingers can fly on the 8470 like no tomorrow. Just not as comfortable to play as my Sabre's
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 02:23 PM
GAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisstevenson View Post
Hi,

I'm undecided between these two models, does anyone know what frets are installed on the J-custom, I think the RGT320Q has the 'jumbo frets' as Ibanez call them? I prefer the thin frets on my Jem, the 6105s. Is the RG8470 a big jump (in quality terms) from the 'not that cheap', and very good looking RGT320Q? I like the idea of a neck through to replace a PRS set neck I recently sold, as they do feel so damn solid and warmer, but cant help thinkning that the Prestige is a 'lesser' guitar in some way. What do you guys think?

Thanks.
I believe the frets are the same on the JC's as on the JEM77 and UV777. The RGT320 ceased production last month, so there must be something new in the pipe line ? I have 2 PRS, a CE and a Custom, a Prestige Ibanez and 2 JC's. The neck finishing is easily as good on the JC's as a PRS, the Prestige I would say is not quite as good and the fret material appears softer too. As for the thru neck situation, the JC'S have better upper fret access than the Prestiges, and if a bolt on is good enough for Vai, Petrucci etc it's good enough for me !!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I hate the soft frets on a Prestige, if the RGT320Q comes with the same monkey metal frets then I'll go for a J-custom.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:39 PM

What do y'all mean by "soft frets"? I haven't noticed anything like that.

I've owned J-Customs as well as the RGT320 Prestige and I must say that I ended up selling my J-Custom and keeping the RGT320. That doesn't mean J-Customs are amazing guitars. They are, but I feel they are more VISUALLY amazing than anything else.

I often end up with a couple of the same guitar so I had like 3 of these and they were all amazingly consistent. I can't say that for the J-Customs I've owned. The only inconsistency was the quilt quality. You -MUST- see the actual guitar you're getting or you could end up with a boring quilt instead of a stunning one.

It has a very thin neck, very wide fretboard and no neck joint. I love to record with this guitar because the wide fretboard makes it easier to play clean (for me at least, I have long fingers) and when you're recording playing clean is much more important.

It also has a maple core with mahogany wings which gives you the snappy sound of maple even though you've got a rosewood fretboard. Don't put too bright of pickups on this thing or else it'll sound like a bad telecaster rip off. Breeds go AWESOME in it.

So that's my take. They're all great guitars, but I thought I'd make my case in favor of the RGT320.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 12:21 AM

BigShred:

I just bought an RGT320Q (it hasn't arrived yet) and I was wondering if you could post some clips of yours? Does yours have a Breed in it? What kind of tone does it have with the Breed?

If you end up making some clips, maybe you could make a new thread so we don't hijack this one.... if you have time....
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 12:38 AM

haha patience mate, don't you have one arriving in a few days to see for yourself?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 12:44 AM

lol. Yeah, I do. But, if BigShred has a Breed in his guitar, it'd be cool to hear it that way. And, even if it doesn't, it'd just be cool to hear the guitar's recorded tone before I get it.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 02:27 AM

Yeah, bro, I've been meaning to make some clips of my guitars, but I'm currently in Atlanta. The RGT320 is in Texas and I'll be passing through there again this weekend. I'll try and put something together for ya

I've got one RGT320 with the Breed and I've got another that's brand new and stock. It'd be cool if I have the time to make a comparison video.

And, yeah, we'll make a new thread for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJazzTerminator View Post
lol. Yeah, I do. But, if BigShred has a Breed in his guitar, it'd be cool to hear it that way. And, even if it doesn't, it'd just be cool to hear the guitar's recorded tone before I get it.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 02:42 AM

Alright, man - look forward to hearing your clips (if you get around to it)!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 04:25 AM
GAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShred View Post
What do y'all mean by "soft frets"? I haven't noticed anything like that.
It's not that they're 'soft' it's just that the JC ones are harder. They show a lot less fret wear from the wound strings I've noticed.

GAZ
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Are current Jem and JS frets stainless? I find that I wear out Prestige frets after about 3 or 4 years, well not totally worn out, but certainly showing flat spots from wear, my Jem doesnt seem to have this wear at all despite being played just as often.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 02:08 PM

In my opinion, fret problems are the direct result of the player's technique. I hesitate to say that it's 'bad' technique because I don't think digging in is necessarily bad. But, I play very lightly and have never had problems with my frets. Except maybe my RG550LTD, which I've had since 1995 and it's starting to show a little bit of wear. But, not only did I practice on it extensively, I've been using it for teaching for almost seven years and I play on it ALL THE TIME. Even so, it's not even that bad.

Just play a little lighter....
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Yeah you have a valid point, I do dig in a little too much at times, however still prefer the lower profile/thinner frets on the Jem and JS necks.

Tags
fret access , jumbo frets , neck finish , neck joint , rosewood fretboard , upper fret , upper fret access , wound strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode