Prestige vs. Normal Ibanez guitars - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Prestige vs. Normal Ibanez guitars

So I know that the prestige Ibanez guitars are made in Japan and the regular guitars are made in Korea, but what I'm curious about is how much of a difference there really is between the regular and prestige Ibanez guitars. I took these thoughts with me today to Guitar Center and compared several prestige models with several regular Ibanez guitars (all played through the same amp with the same settings) and was thoroughly let down by the Prestige guitars that I played (RG1570, SZ720FM). Not to say that there's anything wrong with these guitars, but in all honesty they didn't seem any better than their Korean counterparts. My RG370DX is every bit the guitar as the RG1570 and those V pickups are just a joke. I mean really, what's the use in calling a guitar "Prestige" if you have to change things on it from the start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 01:44 AM
Vendor

Re: Prestige vs. Normal Ibanez guitars

The SZ720 is Korean, and if you couldn't tell any different between the 1570 and your 370 then I dare say you just don't know what to look for.
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Well of course there were differences, but the guitar didn't seem any better than my guitar. The neck was slightly different and the pickups sounded different and the trem didn't feel exactly the same, but none of those things were "better" on the 1570. Since the guitar is priced for about $250 more than what I paid for my guitar, I guess I was just expecting more...
post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 06:03 AM
dex

Let me just make a point here and that goes for EVERY kid with Squire, Mexican Strat, RG2xx, 3xx, 4xx, 5xx, Epiphone, LTD, Jem 555, JS100, PRS SE, Peavey Wolfgang Special, etc.

Me and you both know that the only reason you own one of the above guitars is because your budget didn't stretch far enough to get the real deal so I think it's a bit rich when someone who so clearly wants to own the real deal comes on here and claims how his Squire "Is just as good".
Don't lie to yourself.

ilia
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 08:13 AM

Dex is right

I used to have an RG370DX, and while is wasn't a bad guitar it isn't in the same league as my Jem 7DBK

The neck, bridge, pick ups, frets, build quality and overall feel justify the fact it was 4 times more expensive than my old RG

In virtually everything, You get what you pay for !!!!!
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero
So I know that the prestige Ibanez guitars are made in Japan and the regular guitars are made in Korea, but what I'm curious about is how much of a difference there really is between the regular and prestige Ibanez guitars. I took these thoughts with me today to Guitar Center and compared several prestige models with several regular Ibanez guitars (all played through the same amp with the same settings) and was thoroughly let down by the Prestige guitars that I played (RG1570, SZ720FM). Not to say that there's anything wrong with these guitars, but in all honesty they didn't seem any better than their Korean counterparts. My RG370DX is every bit the guitar as the RG1570 and those V pickups are just a joke. I mean really, what's the use in calling a guitar "Prestige" if you have to change things on it from the start?
i used to feel that too. when i bought my RG2550, it was more than twice the price of my taiwanese yamaha RGX420. in the first couple of weeks, i cannot help but thinking, i wasted a lot of money on this supposedly prestige ibanez. but now, a year down the road, do i still feel the same? NO.

after i've played the prestige more and more, i discovered more and more superiority over the yamaha. better trem, better neck, better body, easier to play, better tone, better everything. does the yamaha compare? not even close (but great value for the money i paid though)

so please, if you have just tried the prestiges at the shop for a couple of minutes, then please reserve your judgement until you really can play one.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 01:30 PM

I've been playing guitar for 17+ years now. I've played and owned several guitars, ranging from the bottom of the barrel Mako, to a Custom Shop Fender Strat. A couple of years ago, I bought an Ibanez S (can't remember which model) from Musicians Friend. When I first got it, I didn't have the time to really pick it up and play it, I just took it out of the case and gave it a look over and everything seemed fine. A couple of weeks later, I decided to play it, and lo and behold, the neck was warped to hell and back.

Needless to say, I was rather ticked off, so I called MF and asked for them to replace it. They gave me the run around, and wouldn't honor their return policy, and told me I'd have to take it to an "Authorised Dealer" to have it replaced. Well, that didn't make any sense at all, but I contacted the local dealer anyway, and they told me that they couldn't do anything with it, since I didn't buy it there, but they hooked me up with the number to Hoshino USA.

The fine folks at Hoshino went completely out of thier way to help me out. They even went as far as letting me exchange the defective "S" for a 1570 Prestige. Ever since then I have been a born again Prestige junkie. I have never, I repeat NEVER played a more finely crafted instrument. The neck feels and plays like warm butter in my hand. And the tone was more than acceptable for stock pickups.

Comapring the Prestige models with cheaper models is a lot like comapring a Volkeswagon with a Porche. You can keep the VW. I'll stick with the Porche, thank you.
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 07:11 PM

Prestiges are the Volkswagens, J-customs the Porsches.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Well I doubt I'll ever get to play a J-custom since they're not sold in this country, but I would like to try out a Jem just to see how much of a difference there is between that and what I played. But I'm also curious as to whether a J-custom is of a higher calibur than the Jems or if they are equal.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 12:51 AM

Well I can tell you that my J-Customs play and feel better (at least in my opinion) than the Jem 7VWH and the Jem 7dbk in my shop. The overall craftsmanship on the J-Customs are as good if not better than the signature stuff. Mind you, they're not all 100% flawless either. My RG1880-s has a router chip in the wood in the trem cavity but was glued back in and filled with mahogany wood filler(you can see it upclose).

From all the J-customs I've seen, all the ones with a figured top qualify to be on par with a PRS Ten Top. So my guess is extra attention is put towards the wood selection when they build the guitars.

As for getting a chance to play one, you can always import one yourself, buy one from someone here that has one or find someone who has one near you and bug the hell outta him/her to let you play it for a bit.
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 01:02 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce

From all the J-customs I've seen, all the ones with a figured top qualify to be on par with a PRS Ten Top. So my guess is extra attention is put towards the wood selection when they build the guitars.

Evidently you missed the run of "driftwood" topped RG4's
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 02:10 AM

I am happy with my $70 guitar

Edit: that's $70 Canadian, mind you...
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

And just out of curiosity, does anyone know how much one of those J-customs will run me living in America if I had to import it from overseas? I'd like to compare their cost to that of a JEM.
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Evidently you missed the run of "driftwood" topped RG4's
I believe I did miss those. Mind you, I wouldn't be surprised to see a highly figured top to be classified as "driftwood" since I've already seen some really ugly looking "Ten Top" PRS guitars. According to my PRS rep, the Ten Top selection is done merely by looking at how highly figured the tops are, but not how nice the top actually is.
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 04:10 PM

Reviews: 1

I dont often argue with Rich and the boys...but...
to include RG-5xx in the less than desireable category is selling these units short...
the japanese made original edge equipped square-neck joint are very well made guitars... I have several 550s that I PREFER over the 7DBK jem that I own... but arent quite as cool as my Jem 777 Gr that I bought off Rich or my Rootbeer...the unsung jem. The real winner over all of them are select RG7xx series ... IMHO... but dont start buying them... I want them all...and really cheap too....

Tags
basswood body , custom shop , dbk jem , edge bridge , edge pro bridge , edge trem , edge trems , epiphone les paul , fender strat , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , fret board , george benson , guitar shop , headstock binding , hoshino usa , ibanez guitars , ibanez pickups , korean guitar , les paul , les pauls , local music store , maple neck , mexican strat , music store , neck joint , neck pickup , palm muting , peavey wolfgang , peavey wolfgang special , pinch harmonics , playing guitar , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , prestige necks , pro edge , pro edge bridge , pro edge trem , pro edge tremolo , prs guitar , prs guitars , seymour duncan , sharktooth inlay , sounding guitar , squier strat , squire strat , wolfgang special , yamaha rgx , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode