Prestige vs Premium Ibanez RGs - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Prestige vs Premium Ibanez RGs

Could someone outline the differences in the prestige series of RGs versus the premium series? I'm looking into purchasing a new guitar and I would like to know if it is worth making the big jump in price up to a prestige model.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 03:36 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Prestige vs Premium Ibanez RGs

Do a forum search. Plenty of info already here.

But again , get out there and try the guitars yourself. Everything is just opinion anyway. YOU have to PLAY the guitars to see WHAT YOU think!!!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 07:11 PM

Ibanez is trying pretty hard to impress with the Premium line and they seem to be putting a lot of work into them to make sure they hold up: You'll find nice fretwork from either (some even prefer the ball ends of the Premium to Prestige) but you might find more finishing flaws or inconsistencies with Premium than Prestige if you look hard enough. Either way, look for one with a nice stable neck joint and consistent fret finishing and you should be okay. I'd certainly have no problem buying Premium over Prestige if I found the right one.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 02:20 PM

Just an opinion from someone who owns both.
the premium is inferior no doubt.

I won't knock the premium line, but the prestige is much higher quality.
more precise on neck adjusting, sustain, and electronics.

Personally I will never purchase another premium because the Prestige is such a better player. I think owning one is a better example then just checking them out at a store.
There is so much more I can do on my prestige, that I lack on the premium.
my speed and acuracy is much better on a prestige due the lower action, and lower fret noise. the premium neck is just not as sound and playable.

either way you do get what you pay for.
personally I would rather get a RG350 instead of a premium, or just jump right to Prestige.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 03:05 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Scary View Post
Just an opinion from someone who owns both.
the premium is inferior no doubt.

I won't knock the premium line, but the prestige is much higher quality.
more precise on neck adjusting, sustain, and electronics.

Personally I will never purchase another premium because the Prestige is such a better player. I think owning one is a better example then just checking them out at a store.
There is so much more I can do on my prestige, that I lack on the premium.
my speed and acuracy is much better on a prestige due the lower action, and lower fret noise. the premium neck is just not as sound and playable.

either way you do get what you pay for.
personally I would rather get a RG350 instead of a premium, or just jump right to Prestige.
Just for clarification, what guitars are you comparing? There are too many prestige types and levels to lump them all into one catagory.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Just for clarification, what guitars are you comparing? There are too many prestige types and levels to lump them all into one catagory.
+1
Please clarify which models you own and are comparing so we can have a better idea since there are so many to choose from in both lines - Premium and Prestige.

One other thing to remember is that, the Prestige range is Ibanez's highest level/quality guitars that take longer to craft (I would imagine) and are always made at HQ in Japan (think Team J Craft). The price is higher as a result but, surely it won't be more expensive just because it's made in it's home country - there are differences across the various components you could pickup if you compare them closely enough.

That being said, I am thoroughly impressed by the Premium line. I played an RG870 and she was such a beauty to behold and play! Performs so well! Another fine shred machine from Ibi!

It costs less than a Prestige but it does hold it's own against one.

Look at it this way, every Ibanez guitarist would love to own a fine Prestige model - its exactly as the name implies - Prestigious guitar that performs extremely well. I aim to have one as too. A guitar that is made in its country of origin is that much more special than one made outside of it however, that does not mean that a Korean or Indonesian built model is inferior - we're talking about Ibanez here - QUALITY and bulletproof reliability + shredability is their middle name regardless of standard, Premium, Prestige or signature range! After I got my first RG570 and realised that it being made in Japan made it quite special, I was stoked! It's an '03 model and still rocking strong

I would say, go for the Prestige if you can afford it or go for the Premium if not - either way, I can basically guarantee that you will not be disappointed!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 11:28 AM

Depends on whether you work on your own guitars much.... I played an RG450 and a Premium RG920 before I bought the RG450. The Premium does have better pickups, but I was going to change those on either. The trems are the same, but the Premium has that little bar with springs to return to zero like the ZR trems. I always remove those anyway. I can't get the trem to float where I want it if the little bar is used correctly.

The Premium has a Veneered (pretty) maple top, which I could care less about. The Premium MAY have better wood in the body and neck ?? but the RG450 felt just as good/sturdy. The Premium has better finishing on the frets, which you can replicate on your RG450 with some 0000 steel wool and a few spare minutes.

To me, the advantages were all cosmetic and I don't really care if my guitar is pretty or not, so I went with the RG450 and put an Air Zone and Air Norton in it. Its great, for a 400 dollar guitar.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 01:54 AM

2008 Prestige RG2550z with EMG 81/60
2011 Premium RG870z customized with pickguard, and D Activators
xxxx Indo RG370DXGP4 I just got rid of for no good reason.
1991 FujiGen Fender Talon V original w/ stock Super3/s/H3

Just also to clarify that Ibanez Prestige guitars are made by FujiGen Guitars.
they made Super Strats for Fender before they acquired Jackson.
although I won't really compare either to the Talon. it is the best guitar ever made in the history of the world, lol... IMO but it is old and worn, but still plays great.

I can confirm that the 2550 is much better quality, and not just looks.

like green lion said, the premium is pretty much a more cosmetic pleasing RG350/450 etc... with a 5-piece maple walnut wiz premium neck, that to me is no better then the 3 piece maple wiz 3.

Although I do like the premium better then a RG350, that gap is small between the 2, for the money I would rather get a 350 and cherry it out.

I keep all my guitars on record at my guitar blog,
http://wwguitar.com use the drop down menu [Guitars] for work logs, and photos. to many to post here.
you will see all I have to my Ibanez guitars..

Last edited by Mr_Scary; 01-23-2014 at 02:10 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Scary View Post
2008 Prestige RG2550z with EMG 81/60
2011 Premium RG870z customized with pickguard, and D Activators
xxxx Indo RG370DXGP4 I just got rid of for no good reason.
1991 FujiGen Fender Talon V original w/ stock Super3/s/H3

Just also to clarify that Ibanez Premium guitars are made by FujiGen Guitars.
they made Super Strats for Fender before they acquired Jackson.
although I won't really compare either to the Talon. it is the best guitar ever made in the history of the world, lol... IMO but it is old and worn, but still plays great.

I can confirm that the 2550 is much better quality, and not just looks.

like green lion said, the premium is pretty much a more cosmetic pleasing RG350/450 etc... with a 5-piece maple walnut wiz premium neck, that to me is no better then the 3 piece maple wiz 3.

Although I do like the premium better then a RG350, that gap is small between the 2, for the money I would rather get a 350 and cherry it out.

I keep all my guitars on record at my guitar blog,
http://wwguitar.com use the drop down menu [Guitars] for work logs, and photos. to many to post here.
you will see all I have to my Ibanez guitars..

+1.

I loaded my RG350EXZ with Evos and it destroys my friends RG 25th.

Tags
premium , prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode