Prestige vs. Signature - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Prestige vs. Signature

Hi,

I want to buy a new guitar and I was wondering if a signature guitar (like a JS or a JEM) is realy woth the money compared to an Ibanez Prestige? I realy like the feel and the looks of the JEM but I also fel in love with the RG2570 and I cant see why the JEM costs twice as much as the RG2570. Sure, the JEM has some other specs like a mahagony body ("only" basswood on the 2570) but is this enough to make it cost twice as much as the RG2570? Do you just pay on the name "Steve Vai" or is the JEM realy worth the prize?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 11:53 AM

Re: Prestige vs. Signature

This thread has been done a thousand times before...

A Jem costs what it costs. You can argue about the build quality compared to a prestige until the cows come home, but at the end of the day it doesnt change anything. If you want one, thats what you pay, simple as that, end of thread.

If you cant afford one, or justify the cost, you'll be perfectly happy with the 2570, its a very good quality guitar.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophil View Post
Hi,

I want to buy a new guitar and I was wondering if a signature guitar (like a JS or a JEM) is realy woth the money compared to an Ibanez Prestige? I realy like the feel and the looks of the JEM but I also fel in love with the RG2570 and I ca´n´t see why the JEM costs twice as much as the RG2570. Sure, the JEM has some other specs like a mahagony body ("only" basswood on the 2570) but is this enough to make it cost twice as much as the RG2570? Do you just pay on the name "Steve Vai" or is the JEM realy worth the prize?
mahogany? what jem are u lookin at? and i agree with voodoo, i have a 2570 and i love it. If you get a 2570 i would def get it from rich, ive never been happier with a guitar than this 1 rich setup and modded with locking studs
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
mahogany? what jem are u lookin at?

you know, that mahogany jem i can't think of the model number right now, you know the one
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezdiehard View Post
you know, that mahogany jem i can't think of the model number right now, you know the one
u mean the 1 in ur head? just playin around man lol
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 07:08 PM

Reviews: 1

i guess there are only basswood and alder jems? but if you are looking for a guitar that plays like a jem look at the 2550 and change the pups for evos and there you go...
JJ
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironjose View Post
i guess there are only basswood and alder jems?
and acrylic
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 11:43 PM

Prestige vs signature.... I don't care actually
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Thep View Post
and acrylic
oh... i forgot about that jaja
JJ
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 12:50 AM

You are paying for the name, and some input on the specs from the artist.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 03:12 AM

Unless you really like vines etc.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 03:22 AM

If jems cost the same amount as prestigues, they would be too common and not as elite. The production cost is higher obviously as well with the vine, evo's and the paintjob but most of it is for the name and exclusiveness.

I wouldnt complain tho because if fender or gibson made the jem (or any guitar to ibanez quality) it would cost $10,000.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 03:24 AM

I don't know... I would never buy a 'signature' guitar. Having somebody's name immidiately puts me off, I am unable to look objectively at how good/bad the guitar really is. IMHO of course.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 12:05 AM

so basicly we are paying for a name on the guitar... better pups, wood, paint job(i didnt knew that) and more cooler look, wouldn't be easy to buy a prestige RG and put it together like a jem? besides the mokey grip, paint job and inlays... it can be done but with more amount of cash spent?
JJ

Tags
locking stud , locking studs , signature guitar , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode