Problem with Ibanez RG320DX - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Problem with Ibanez RG320DX

Yesterday I bought a brand new RG320DX from Guitar Center, and played it for a good hour before I bought it. When I got it home, i noticed the strings tightened up and were a half step higher than they were when I tuned it in the store. I proceeded to change the strings, as per the instructions, because they were old and oxidizing.

i noticed today the Edge III tremolo has pulled all the way back by itself. this is why the strings tightened before, and and it's still doing it. i have loosened the strings, and they are currently in standard again, but the bridge will not go back to it's normal position. i have put the bar in and pushed it down gently, but it goes all the way back up.

i'm not sure if anybody here has had this problem, but i don't know what to do here. i'm fairly sure it's a problem with the springs, but i don't want to mess with it, because i've never dealt with a tremolo system like this before and i do not want to screw it up any more than what it already is.

help please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 11:01 PM

Re: Problem with Ibanez RG320DX

Okay, the first thing to do is to relax. You're going to have problems like this with any double-locking floating trem system. What you're going to have to do is to first make sure that the strings are thoroughly stretched. This is important with any guitar, but is extremely important on a guitar with a floating trem. I generally completely stretch the strings on my guitar 3 times, retuning each string after each stretching.

After you've made sure that the strings are thoroughly stretched, then you may have to adjust the spring tension. I thought this was going to be something difficult the first time I did it, but just like string stretching it's more tedious than difficult. You shouldn't even have to take the back plate off to do this. You just get yourself a phillips head screwdriver and you adjust the two screws that control the spring tension. Try to make sure that you move the two screws together and only move them a turn at a time. It really shouldn't take much to fix the problem unless your trem is REALLY pulling up or falling down. With every adjustment of the screws, you'll have to retune and then see if the trem is back level. When I did this the first time it took me a good 40 minutes to an hour (stretching the strings and adjusting the spring tension).

When you think that you have everything level and in tune, then play the guitar for a little while and apply some light trem usage (oh, and you should have the neck unlocked for the entire duration of everything that I just said). If the guitar holds its tuning pretty well and the bridge stays nice and level, then go ahead and lock it up and it should be ready to rock. Just remember that this job is more tedious than difficult, but if you really don't feel like getting in there and doing it then just pay a professional to set it up for you. I wouldn't imagine someone charging you more than $15 for something like that.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 12:15 AM

Re: Problem with Ibanez RG320DX

With all due respect, but i don't think you should have to touch anything. Not that it isn't a good thing to learn, but i would bring it back, let them install new strings (Which should have happened anyways) let them set up the axe and watch what they do. If you feel the trem is too stiff let them adjust it for you, and watch it.

Tags
edge iii trem , string stretching , tremolo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode