Problem with my nuts... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Problem with my nuts...

Heh, heh, heh...

I have an RG470. I recently stripped a string clamp hole on the LoTRS trem...so I replaced it with an Original Floyd Rose.
Nice trem.

I used the stock nut for simplicity.

Then, I stripped the nut threads one day while locking down the strings (cheap metal).
So, I placed the Floyd nut on...and it was not only too high (even without any spacers), but it was misaligned.
It was about 1mm off, which resulted in the low E being pretty close to the edge of the fretboard. The high E was moved about 1mm away from the edge of the fretboard. The nut was an R3.

After careful measurements, I called Ed Roman, and they replaced the R3 with an R4.

Put the R4 on last night: still mis-aligned (though not quite as bad--I think I can live with it), and far too high.
It is about 1mm too high, and the result is that when playing an open chord, the fretted notes are about 1/4 note sharp.

So I have a few choices:

1. Try to cut the nut route deeper. Not an easy job without specialized tools.

2. Get a different nut: an Ibanez nut? I looked at some of the prices...and sticker shock does not even begin to describe my reaction. $50-$60 for a nut is crazy.

3. Attempt to repair the stock nut. I could try drilling it and placing a heli-coil...not sure if that would work.

I am right on the verge of simply scrapping the guitar and getting another due to its proprietary nature. The nut mounting holes were obviously drilled off-center (on purpose?), and the rout too shallow.

Suggestions?

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 11:16 AM

Re: Problem with my nuts...

Look on evilbay, there are always people selling Ibanez locking nuts on there. You can usually get them fro $10 to $20.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpenguins
Look on evilbay, there are always people selling Ibanez locking nuts on there. You can usually get them fro $10 to $20.
*smacks self on forehead*

Didn't think of that, thanks!

Bob
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 03:14 PM

Funny title, hehehhe
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 11:14 PM

Well sadly Ibanez has a bad habit of making parts that are not universally interchangable. The Top Lok III does not swap with any other nut. It's sad really but it is a money pit i guess.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I have never been fond of truly proprietary parts.

By the way, I had purchased the OFR from Ed Roman. The price and service was good, and, per their request, I had specified the guitar brand, nut width/string spacing. They sent an R3 which didn't fit. I contacted them, and they allowed me to exchange the R3 for an R4, which they said should fit.

They charged me $10 to ship the nut to Michigan. It was laying loose in a 50 cent padded envelope. Of course, the R4 was too tall as well.

After a LOT of searching, I found out some more info. You guys might want to keep this info, because it was not terribly easy to find.

It appears that the stock nut is very thin and pretty flat. Here are the specs for Floyd Rose nuts:

R1: narrow: Width: 1-9/16"; Height: .225"; Spacing: 1.30"; Radius: 10"

R2: standard: Width: 1-5/8"; Height: .225"; Spacing: 1.37"; Radius:
10"

R3: wide: (narrow string spacing for bound neck), Width: 1-11/16";
Height: .275"; Spacing: 1.40"; Radius: 10"

R4: wide: (wide string spacing), Width: 1-11/16"; Height: .275";
Spacing: 1.43"; Radius: 10"

R5: extra wide. Width: 1-3/4"; Height: .275"; Spacing: 1.50"; Radius:
10"

R6: R1 with bullet nut relief. Width: 1-9/16"; Height: .225"; Spacing:
1.30"; Radius: 10"

R7: R2 with bullet nut relief. Width: 1-5/8"; Height: .225"; Spacing:
1.37"; Radius: 10"

R8: R4 with flatter radius. Width: 1-11/16"; Height: .225"; Spacing:
1.43"; Radius: 15"

This website has a good selection of the nuts, and it was my first clue that there might be a Floyd Rose nut that can replace the Ibanez nut:

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/guitar_frnuts.htm

When I measure the stock nut, it appears that the R8 is the right one.

What I am annoyed about is that I had no idea that there were so many different nuts.
Ed Roman only shows a few, and they did NOT ask for specific thickness, nor did they note that my Ibanez (they actually build Ibanez bodies and necks!) might require a less common nut.

Further, charging $10 for shipping is quite a rip-off.
I e-mailed Ed Roman, requesting another exchange. I will also request free shipping this time, due to their incompetence and prior overcharge.

Live and learn.

Bob
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos grijalva
Funny title, hehehhe
We got ourselves a winner .

Regards

André

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 03:57 PM

Thanks, that'll come in handy when I decide to swap out my Lo TSR trem for a Gotoh trem.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalinbob
By the way, I had purchased the OFR from Ed Roman.
That's all you had to say...
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpenguins
That's all you had to say...
Uh, oh...

Is Ed Roman difficult to deal with? I randomly selected his shop...

Bob
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalinbob
Uh, oh...

Is Ed Roman difficult to deal with? I randomly selected his shop...

Bob
That depends do a search on Ed Roman here and on every other guitar forum.

Regards

André

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

How quaint.

Two carefully phrased e-mails, and no response yet.

Looks like I will have to dish out $35 + shipping for the proper nut (from a different vendor, of course).

So I will have paid ~$13, + $35 + shipping, which will likely be $5 to rectify a problem which was caused by Ed Roman (or his employees).
I will be out about $50 for their mistakes.

Looking more closely at their web page, I notice they sell Ibanez RG kits, so there is little excuse for not knowing the proper nut, and absolutely NO excuse for the current lack of communication.

Bob
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Resolution.

After screwing with me for four months, whining about how Floyd Rose cannt get them parts, they are waiting for shipments, etc, I finally found an E-mail address to Floyd Rose in New Jersey.

I told them the story, and they contacted me about 30 hours after I sent the mail.

When I spoke with them, they were surprised that Ed Roman supposedly could not get this part. They have all the parts anyone could possibly need, and supply North America without difficulty.
They apologized for the poor service provided by Ed Roman, and sold me the proper nut, for a VERY reasonable price.
The man I spoke with was friendly, and didn't mind helping me a bit.

Kudos to Floyd Rose for excellent customer service.

I just sent a final E-mail to Ed Roman, telling them to send back the R4 nut which I sent to them in exchange for the R8.

For your entertainment, this is the E-mail I sent to the Ed Roman employee that was allegedly "helping" me. To protect the guilty, his name is not included:

"I am requesting that you send the R4 Floyd Rose lock nut back to me, where I intend to use it as a paperweight to remind me of your ignorance..

I am finished waiting for you to find the R8, so I finally found it myself.
I sent an E-mail to Floyd Rose in New Jersey.
They replied ONE day later, stating I could purchase the nut directly from them.
It will arrive at my front door in a few days.

They stated they serve everyone in North America, and were surprised that you could not attain the R8.
Yes, they even have them in stock.

I solved this simple problem in less than 30 hours that you could not solve in nearly four months.

How can you and your company be so inept?
I seriously doubt it was true ineptness...it had to be intentional, as evidenced by my ability to solve the issue so rapidly, without any special knowlege or contacts.
I am stunned that there appears to be actual malice toward your customers.

I have carefully documented the poor customer service, and will certainly assure potential customers that you are not worth their time."
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 05:42 PM

Reviews: 120

Nice email. Ed Roman are a pack of scumbags. Like someone said earlier, do a search on any guitar forum for Ed Roman and read the bullsh1t that comes!

Just recently on the Megadeth boards in the musicians section a dude posted how Ed Roman stole his guitar design idea and then charged the guy like US$4800 or something to build it for him. Ed is now selling the design and not paying any royalties to the guy.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 05:45 PM

Nice e-mail. Well done .

Regards

André

Tags
floyd rose , lock nut , locking nut , locking nuts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode