Problem with new finish (?) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Problem with new finish (?)

Hi there,

yesterday I finally did it and repainted my lovely 7-String.
The result can be seen here:
(Sorry for the low quality. The burst looks kinda crappy on this pic but that's just a matter of light, it's actually the same black all around the guitar.)

But I feel some kind of unhappy with the finish, it is way too soft. I can still press my nail through the surface.
Is it just not hard enough yet? It's acryl (or acryllic?) in case you need to know.
By the way: I sprayed the final transparent layer on it this morning. (about 3-4 hours ago)

I hope you have good news for me since I don't want to re-do this.. *sigh*

Last edited by Clint Fastfood; 08-04-2007 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 05:01 PM

Re: Problem with new finish (?)

check the label on the paint can you used. It should say how long does it take to become completely dry and hard. some materials dry in 10 minutes and some need several days.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 08:40 PM

Hate to burst your bubble there Clint but the clear coat should be left for 6 - 7 days to hard'n then wet sanded and then put on your compound !
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

6-7 days? I was told Acryl takes at most 24 hours to harden... :/

Well, what do I do now? The transparent layer is already on the guitar. I wouldn't mind a rough surface since I barely touch it while playing.
Couldn't I just leave the guitar alone for a few days and call it finished?

When I came home earlier, the finish was already hard enough so I couldn't pierce it anymore with my nails.

@barbarelaxe
Unfortunately there's no indication about that on the tin. Should've asked someone in the shop, stupid me.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 09:47 PM

Hey I could be wrong I'm not sure about acryllic .Its just when I clear coat I put on around 6 coats leave for about 4 hours level sand leave over night then another 8 coats then leave for 6-7 days .call me old fashioned !

Tags
clear coat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode