Problems with my RG550...help needed... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Problems with my RG550...help needed...

I sold this guitar on **** and shipped it to the winner of the auction, and then I get an email from her saying the neck is cracked. There was a very slight crack that wasn't even noticeable when I sold the guitar, you couldn't even feel that it was there, but she took pictures and it's WAYYYYYY worse now. I had the guitar tuned to B with 12-54's, and I think she tried to tune it up to E and opened up the crack, I can't imagine how that would happen during shipping inside of a hardshell case in a box filled with packing materials. She wants all of her money back for the guitar.

Crack before...

Crack now...

She wants all of her money back for the guitar. If I relisted this thing on **** for $200...do you guys think it would even sell?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 03:29 PM

Re: Problems with my RG550...help needed...

Gosh mate, that's not the end of the world at all. Follow the link above (Ibanezrules). I believe Rich has an instructional on how to fix it.

It will still not get priced fairly, but it is repairable I think.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur View Post
Gosh mate, that's not the end of the world at all. Follow the link above (Ibanezrules). I believe Rich has an instructional on how to fix it.

Yeah I know of that link, I'm just having terrible luck with everything related to this guitar...I don't trust myself to fix it without ****ing it up even more.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadeth7684 View Post
I sold this guitar on **** and shipped it to the winner of the auction, and then I get an email from her saying the neck is cracked. There was a very slight crack that wasn't even noticeable when I sold the guitar, you couldn't even feel that it was there, but she took pictures and it's WAYYYYYY worse now. I had the guitar tuned to B with 12-54's, and I think she tried to tune it up to E and opened up the crack, I can't imagine how that would happen during shipping inside of a hardshell case in a box filled with packing materials. She wants all of her money back for the guitar.

Crack before...

Crack now...

She wants all of her money back for the guitar. If I relisted this thing on **** for $200...do you guys think it would even sell?

did you tell her about how you tuned it and the string size difference?
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

No, I didn't think to mention that since it would be incredibly obvious as soon as you began to tune the guitar up. B is 2.5 steps down from E, the bridge would be sky high as soon as she even got to tune it up a half step or so...let alone 2.5 steps.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 04:16 PM

I think more important did she knew about the "barely noticable" crack. Did you let her know the neck was cracked?
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 04:16 PM

if you were in the UK I would buy that for $200...

But, if I were in your position I would repair it and keep it...
why were you selling in the first place ?
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
I think more important did she knew about the "barely noticable" crack. Did you let her know the neck was cracked?
Yes, I mentioned it, but you couldn't even feel the crack when I shipped it. It wasn't through the wood or anything.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisshredding View Post

But, if I were in your position I would repair it and keep it...
why were you selling in the first place ?

Because I need money and play my Caparison guitars much more.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 05:26 PM

Enlighten her on the fact that you mentioned and showed the crack, and then check if she's aware of string-tension and their relations to tunings. If she lightened up the gauges before tuning up to E, you're in the same spot. If she didn't you're in the clear.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisshredding View Post
If only....
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 08:05 PM

I would tell her she knew it was cracked. And if she puts some wood glue in there right now while it's open, then loosens off the strings, clamps with a little pressue the crack will be fixed and she will have no problem.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 03:51 PM

Well, not that I want to play devil's advocate here, but I looked this up, and you don't mention THAT crack in the listing (#270067782181). There's mention of a "hairline cracks by the neck joint", neither of which this appears to be - that is that isn't a hairline crack and it's not at the neck joint (to me that implies the joint where the neck meets the body, which is notorious for cracks, as many of us know). I've had probably over a dozen necks like this repaired, and I have to say that's among the worst cracks I've seen without it completely separating into 2 pieces. When repaired properly, these will rarely break in the same place like this one has, too.

But, all that being said, I'd give you $200 for it in a heartbeat, I have no problem playing a repaired neck, or repairing it.

Also, FYI, your buyer is a dude not a "she", he's a regular here on the forum, too. And I've done deals with him in the past through evilbay and through another forum member, and he's pretty honest, at least always has been with me and he other guy.

Either way, I hope you guys come to a good resolution for the whole thing.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 07:34 AM

Oooh busted.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur View Post

+1

Regards

André

Closed Thread

Tags
caparison guitars , equipped guitar , fret buzz , iron maiden , iron maiden strat , neck joint , neck pocket crack , neck pocket cracks , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode