Project - Ibanananez? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Project - Ibanananez?

Here is a project I'm putting together.. may as well document it, right?

Body
- Basswood (from RG5EX1)
- Matte black finish
- Routed for three humbuckers (w/ matching black abalone pickgaurd)

Neck
- Chris Woods custom
- Reverse banana headstock
- Asymmetrical wolfgang neck profile
- 43mm ibanez edge nut
- Hard rock maple neck with bubinga stripe and flame maple fretboard
- Green dot inlays (like "Dimarzio humbucker green" or "Dunlop Tortex green")
- 24 jumbo frets
- 430mm radius
- 1/8" mahogany veneer on headstock

Hardware
- Edge Pro Tremolo (powder cosmo)
- Gotoh locking tuners (gold)
- Cosmo nut w/ black pressure pads

Everything is from eBay. I ended up with the body after nobody outbid what I thought was a lowball bid so once it arrived I had no choice but to start a project.

The custom neck is beautiful. I was a little worried that I wouldn't like the banana headstock (figured I could always reshape it..) but once I saw it in person I really liked it and it's definitely here to stay. The grain on the fretboard is just gorgeous, and the green dots really make it unique. I really have a thing for maple fretboards (and 'dry' rosewood, but that's another story...)

The RG5EX1 has an Edge III so I went with the obvious choice and got an Edge Pro, basically in like-new condition. I'm going to use the Edge III studs for now (once they get here from Rich) because I don't want to risk damaging the body pulling the stud inserts (never done it before). I'm guessing most people here would advise getting the Edge Pro inserts/studs but I just want to keep it simple for now.

Body with the pickguard was $71, neck $216, tremolo $216, tuners $50, neck screws $10 (all after shipping)

My original vision for the guitar was just to do something with a maple fretboard and mismatched hardware. I'm liking the way it's coming together so far. Now I just need electronics, backing plates, and trem studs.

Here are some pics:

Front

Back

Front w/ pickguard

Neck grain and inlays

Edge Pro

Triple humbucker route

Crazy headstock angle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Re: Project - Ibanananez?

It took a lot of sanding of the neck joint to get the neck to fit, now it's very snug but I'd like to clean it up a bit.

Does anybody have any tips on how to sand hard-to-reach corners?

Here too...

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Lol.. probably not gonna throw down $120 on something I'm only going to use once. I'll just try taping some sandpaper to a butter knife or something.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 04:30 PM

Reviews: 37

i was looking at that neck on the bay.
i bid on the other cause he said it fit well and that on was not a good fit.
it looks awesome though.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 04:34 PM

Reviews: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by van01010100 View Post
Lol.. probably not gonna throw down $120 on something I'm only going to use once. I'll just try taping some sandpaper to a butter knife or something.
get one of those cylinder style bits with the sanding pads for a dremel and use it in a drill.
you know the rubber ones that take a cylinder style sanding insert.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfury View Post
get one of those cylinder style bits with the sanding pads for a dremel and use it in a drill.
you know the rubber ones that take a cylinder style sanding insert.
I was looking at those at the hardware store but I don't think it would work because the body would get in the way of the drill in these spots. It's not that big of a deal but since I'm still acquiring parts I figured I might as well polish up what I got so far.

And yeah the neck seemed way too big at first. I only needed to take a little off the sides of the pocket. The main problem was that it wouldn't sit deep enough into the body for the holes to line up, so I took a lot off of the curved parts on the body that the butt of the neck seats against and now it's perfect.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 08:22 PM

Reviews: 11

Im in love with how well that neck fits in
'
edit : oh yeah, dremel + wire brush attachment should make short work of that paint.

Last edited by linuxpenguin; 02-13-2011 at 10:51 PM.

Tags
banana , project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode