pros/cons for zr trem? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

pros/cons for zr trem?

what are they? I have 5 ibby's, each with a different bridge but I havent used a zr at all. Im thinking of getting the s470dxqm with the red viking finish and my inexperience with the zr is the only thing really holding me back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 12:22 AM

Reviews: 11
Re: pros/cons for zr trem?

not much experiance but ive heard great things
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 06:11 AM

They're great trems! Here's some pros and cons:

Pros:
-Great tuning stability
-Smooth feeling (some like it..)
-built in intonation tool
-Easy adjustments
-You can always change the trem arm to schaller's..

Cons:
-Flutters aren't as good as with normal floyd
-the ZPS isn't too great as it does stiffen the feel
-you can't pull up or push down as much with normal floyd
-Some don't like the feel of it.
-Trem arm system sucks (imho..)
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 09:01 AM

They are nice, but different. Stays in tune very well, but it is an entirely different mechanism than standard tremolos so it feels unique, more stiff, less control. Nothing beats an original Edge imo.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 11:49 AM

Reviews: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostStorm View Post

Pros:
-Great tuning stability
-Easy adjustments

Cons:
I have a very recent s570 and agree with this mostly but,

Add pros
- you can do unison bends w/o having to raise your second note pitch
- strings breaks do not effect tuning (that much)
- You can get a Drop-D with it or add the Downshifter

and to adjust the Cons
- I love the ZPS, it does not fell to stiff to me, perfect for a low temolo user
- It would be nice if it pulled up a bit more, but I think it goes down pletty, just not completely sloppy lose
- trem arm seems good to me
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 12:11 PM

Reviews: 12

I ahve only played them intermittently on some of the S models I personally like the fell of them the zps can also be taken out if you want a more traditional feel, however It is a nice unit, and very smooth..
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 02:43 PM

I liked that they had a definite "zero" point. You know when your back to original pitch. It was interesting to play after all my years with an Edge.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 05:29 PM

oh, i would also like to add that the fine tuners are a but stiff (hard to turn, but that might just be this one) and they dont get very good tuning range. i can go from drop B to drop C# with the fine tuners on my 570 (original edge) but not on these ZR's. i cant even get drop D on it
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 05:52 PM

My new s570 has a long fine tuner in the low E location. Some of the tuner are a little stiff, but no overly stiff, and they loosened up quickly.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 06:02 PM

Reviews: 10

my two cents...I had a ZR on my S540 and I quite liked the bridge - found it smooth but as others have said it is a little stiffer and they do not flutter when in ZPS mode...If you take the stopper out then maybe they will flutter but I never tried that...I didn't like how the bar screwed in but they changed that with the ZR2...and my ZR bridge had some tuning issues -mostly with returning to zero after pull ups (and yes it was set up right) I later traded the guitar in on a new RG2550z with the Edge Zero trem and I think the Edge Zero trem is superior to the ZR. My 2 Ibby's with Original Edge Trems seem to stand up to trem abuse and stay in tune the best out of the 3 different bridges I've had on my Ibby's - but overall I would give the ZR a thumbs up...the s470dxqm is a very nice looking guitar...
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I know it's not and Edge Zero, but I'll comment on the Edge Zero 2 on my new Premium. After 24 years of loving the Edge, LoPro Edge, and Edge Pro--the thought of the EZ2 made me hesitate a bit. After playing with it for 2 days now, I'm used to it. I hadn't ofused a screw on arm since around 1987, but this one is decent--not too bad of a transition from the pop in arms. Stability is great. Fine tuners are a bit tight, but not overwhelming. The ZPS is awesome! I know I may have received one of the rare "good ones," as Rich noticed. I don't go crazy with dive and pull range, so it does what I need it to. I haven't mesed with the fine tuner range yet, but will make a note to include it in my forthcoming review. All-in-all, I'm impressed with it. It's solid and built well. As an OE lover, I think this new EZ2 is worthy of consideration.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 07:33 PM

I will say this I purchased a S570MQM which just began shipping in the past couple of months, I read a few others on line that have bought newly made indos, and now with AlaskaBats premium, I kind of thinking that there has been a lot of effort put into the Ibanez indo line too improve the quality recently.

My new S570MQM is pretty much flawless and I am pretty picking about my guitars. All of the issues I have read regarding the ZR, fret ends, and other things are none existant on this guitar. My action is set at 1.5 - 2.0mm with no shims or frret leveling. I have built many guitars and I know I could improve a few things, like lubing the fine tuners, and maybe being really, really picking and rounding the fret ends a bit more (kind of an Ibanez thing I guess), but for the most part the quality on this guitar is off the chart for only $650 and I only paid $550.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 10:50 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostStorm View Post

Pros:
-Great tuning stability
-Easy adjustments

Cons:

Agreed. Palm muting IS GREAT! I cant stress that enough with this type of Trem. The Zero Point Sys is what makes it stiffer and is removable. UTube has vids on this subject that are worth watching. The Trem is also very stable. I went down in tuning to DGCFAD with NO ISSUES, I did not even have to adjust Trem height, nothing. Ibanez's ZR trem is what made me buy another Ibanez and one with a floating trem. I am willing to sacrafice some things my floyd is able to do. Finding someone who knows tricks and has lots of GOOD experiance to work on a Floyd here is rediculous and is one of those sacrafices lol. I Praise the ZR trem for being stable. I think that was Ibanez's Goal with the Zero point system. Im a Fan of this Trem and would buy another S series with it in a heart beat.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 10:53 PM

Reviews: 15

The only negative I have with it is the design flaw in the trem arm assembly. That's it. I have read some others doing some modification that circumvents this problem.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 02:11 PM

The ZR's arm socket goes bad because the nut holding it to the trem comes loose. Take it apart and put some sort of thread lock on that nut and tighten it. This solves all problems with the trem arm socket.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode