PRS? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
PRS?

Ok, first and foremost...I've never really been a huge prs fan, (still dont know what they're thinking with the tremonti SE model... )
BUT:
Lately, I've really wanted either a Santana II or a standard 24 (in platinum metallic) Does anyone own one of these? Give me some info! AND, what's roughly the price for owning either or? If I remember the Santana II's go for 22-2400 at GC. Honestly I'd rather have the standard 24. I've heard great things about the trem systems. I know I should go play one myself...I just want info on the prices before I go drive all the way to GC to try one out. (I hate going to GC unless I need strings or something)
thanks

-Actually...I was at work last night and I kicked myself in the ass...I realized I accidentally wrote santana II. I meant III. Ok..Ok..now that we've cleared that up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 02:08 PM

If you can find a Santana II for $2400, jump on it! They typically sell for more like $3500+, but the Santana III's are in the $2400-2500 range. You're talking about a pretty drastic price difference between a Standard 24 and a Santana II, and the guitars themselves will be pretty different as well. As with most high-end guitars, I prefer to get my PRS' used. It saves you a LOT of devaluation. You could probably pick up a decent Custom 24 for $1500 or so on EBay (w/ 10 top & birds), and a Standard would be considerably less than that. As much as some people may hate it, Ebay really is the easiest way to see what things are bringing. I'd suggest doing some searching on EBay and see what you come up with
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 04:18 AM

I was under the impression that Santana models (the USA ones) only come in transparent finishes that show off the figurng on the top. If you want a platinum model, I'd just go for a standard PRS.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 08:03 AM

Re: PRS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texshred777
(still dont know what they're thinking with the tremonti SE model... )
This is the first i've heard of the Tremonti SE model... i went out and had a look for it on the 'net, and i'm quite impressed. It looks like a nice Korean-made Singlecut for those on a budget. If the quality is comparable to the Santana SE model, it should be quite a good value. If only more builders would use Dean's set/thru-neck construction to get rid of those chunky heels.

I've been really getting into PRSes lately, as well. I really should start saving for one. It'll either be a black Custom or CE 24, or a tiger eye hollowbody with a quilt top. With piezo option.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallopwallop
I was under the impression that Santana models (the USA ones) only come in transparent finishes that show off the figurng on the top. If you want a platinum model, I'd just go for a standard PRS.
yeah, that's what I was saying, I want a standard 24 with platinum. I saw the guy from audiovent (ugh..)with a 22 in platinum. It looked awesome. I'd like a 24 with birds. I made up my mind..the santana III is nice..but I'd rather have a non signature model. Plus the 24 models look a bit nicer imo.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Quote:
(still dont know what they're thinking with the tremonti SE model... )
This is the first i've heard of the Tremonti SE model... i went out and had a look for it on the 'net, and i'm quite impressed. It looks like a nice Korean-made Singlecut for those on a budget. If the quality is comparable to the Santana SE model, it should be quite a good value. If only more builders would use Dean's set/thru-neck construction to get rid of those chunky heels.

I've been really getting into PRSes lately, as well. I really should start saving for one. It'll either be a black Custom or CE 24, or a tiger eye hollowbody with a quilt top. With piezo option.
I didn't hear of it until here either, so I too checked it out. I may pick one up, it looks like a great guitar. I really thought the Santana SE's were great guitars. The new Santana Se's are ugly though IMHO, because of that lame ass pickguard
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallopwallop
yeah, that's what I was saying, I want a standard 24 with platinum. I saw the guy from audiovent (ugh..)with a 22 in platinum. It looked awesome. I'd like a 24 with birds. I made up my mind..the santana III is nice..but I'd rather have a non signature model. Plus the 24 models look a bit nicer imo.
Sorry Dude! I've just reread your first post!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris20
I didn't hear of it until here either, so I too checked it out. I may pick one up, it looks like a great guitar. I really thought the Santana SE's were great guitars. The new Santana Se's are ugly though IMHO, because of that lame ass pickguard
Yeah, i agree... the Tremonti SE looks like a fantastic value. I really dug the first-generation Santana SE (except for those goofy diagonal inlays)... it was a simple, classy guitar. They totally screwed it up by adding that pickguard and tacky binding on the neck.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris20
Yeah, i agree... the Tremonti SE looks like a fantastic value. I really dug the first-generation Santana SE (except for those goofy diagonal inlays)... it was a simple, classy guitar. They totally screwed it up by adding that pickguard and tacky binding on the neck.
This is kinda ironic when you consider that the whole point of the SE range was to offer a workmanlike guitar with classic PRS traits at price that everybody could afford. That is exactly what the originals looked like and the magazine reviewers agreed that they had hit the nail on the head. With the new model they seem to have deviated from the design brief somewhat. In the attempt to make something which appears 'classier' than the original basic model, they have lost the essence of the design and ****ed it up somewhat.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 11:49 AM

I took the scratchplate off mine, and it looks much more classy. The sound is much better than the original, and isnt that more impoortant than cosmetic differences? (i can see comments about jem swirls coming.. )
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 10:44 PM

Did they put better pickups in? Maybe the lack of metal covers makes them more responsive.

The forearm cut is a nice touch, too. I wish they'd just put something simple on there for the inlays instead of those weird diagonal slashes.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 10:27 AM

I just like the swam ash one. i donīt like mahogany, specially with a set neck. Maybe a CE 24...

Tags
darren wilson , jem swirl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode